Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salty H20 2023 Thread- How Salty Will You Get??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well we hit the water again tuesday morning in PM & headed a ways south to get a couple hours wade in before the gusty winds hit, found some bait in a flat with sand pockets & went after em.
    Bunches of floating grass changed up our presentation. I switched to the Trout Support Grasswalker & started getting bit. Caught a few smalls & a couple reds. Then got a flashing right to left out of the water blowup from a big trout but could not get a good hook set. A couple casts later got a good hookup on another nice trout but she spit the hook before I could get a good look at her. Strung up a couple smaller slot redfish & then it happened. I got a huge hit & some serious drag screaming / spool clearing runs from a big girl, got her relled in to about 40 yards & the it happened ( never experienced at this magnatude before ) a head out of the water, mouth wide open violent head shake that foamed the water for a 6' diameter & she spit the hook. After a few choice words & disbelief in what just happened, I realized just how cool being able to witness that 1st hand actually was. I have lost big fish before but just never like that. I am convinced she would have thrown any lure she would have had in her mouth. The 33" trout I caught a few years ago or any other big fish I caught didn't behave like this at all.

Comment

I feel you pain. Stupid fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
        Well we hit the water again tuesday morning in PM & headed a ways south to get a couple hours wade in before the gusty winds hit, found some bait in a flat with sand pockets & went after em.
        Bunches of floating grass changed up our presentation. I switched to the Trout Support Grasswalker & started getting bit. Caught a few smalls & a couple reds. Then got a flashing right to left out of the water blowup from a big trout but could not get a good hook set. A couple casts later got a good hookup on another nice trout but she spit the hook before I could get a good look at her. Strung up a couple smaller slot redfish & then it happened. I got a huge hit & some serious drag screaming / spool clearing runs from a big girl, got her relled in to about 40 yards & the it happened ( never experienced at this magnatude before ) a head out of the water, mouth wide open violent head shake that foamed the water for a 6' diameter & she spit the hook. After a few choice words & disbelief in what just happened, I realized just how cool being able to witness that 1st hand actually was. I have lost big fish before but just never like that. I am convinced she would have thrown any lure she would have had in her mouth. The 33" trout I caught a few years ago or any other big fish I caught didn't behave like this at all.
        and that is why we do it.

love the grasswalkers.

Comment

I'm a grasswalker fan boy for sure! There have been Chandeleur trips that would have been next to useless without it the grass was so bad! Actually probably my favorite shallow water red fish lure. If it's not floating grass, you can rig them with a #6 treble and they ain't spittin' it out if you're meat fishin'...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            I'm a grasswalker fan boy for sure! There have been Chandeleur trips that would have been next to useless without it the grass was so bad! Actually probably my favorite shallow water red fish lure. If it's not floating grass, you can rig them with a #6 treble and they ain't spittin' it out if you're meat fishin'...
            I am going to get with Tobin & see what he thinks about going with a softer compound lure material. I have never lost that many fish ( trout ) back to back. Redfish usually stay pinned on. The bigger trout are a different story. Gomakatsu is making a EWG extra wide gap hook that I am using but still missing a bunch of fish. I have been tweaking this lure for a few years. I actually poke my stringer spike through the lure where the hook goes through, this has improved hookset ratio a bunch.

Comment

Tobin has a video on how to bend the point out a little on a 5/0 EWG I think it is. That and set the hook like Bill Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                Tobin has a video on how to bend the point out a little on a 5/0 EWG I think it is. That and set the hook like Bill Dance.
                Exactly, I talk & text Tobin often. A friend also showed me another new hook with even a wider bow in the shank that I am going to try. I have a tendency to fish them with at least a 1/16 weighted hook to help keep them in the water because I can't slow down enough to work them properly, same reason I don't fish Fat Boy floaters.
                I think the weight may add to the lost hookups though.

Comment

Took the bride for a quick afternoon. I was deckhand. Fished dock poles and had about 6 get in the docks and break off. Caught a lot of 18-20 inch fish. She kept some to take to friends.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice work, Glen

Comment

I didn’t do anything. I was deckhand on this trip

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        I didn’t do anything. I was deckhand on this trip
                        Besides trying to throw Doug off the boat, that’s about all you did the other day!

Comment

Made a quick trip to help my BIL jet in some poles for their cabin build and brought Little the teenager for extra labor. He went out after dark and caught a bunch of slightly oversized Reds. I told him he's doing it wrong.

Comment

Went out Saturday and caught a quick limit. Wind was nice for once. Nothing big, but perfect for eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now that I can get into, I like that.

Comment

Nice fish everyone! I've been chasing ditch pickels and have decided I suck horribly at that... so guess I'll move over to the easy fish

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X