Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    You got me beat at 300. No thanks.

It sucked . Spent the night in the hospital. Not very long after i became allergic to them . I still have 2 hives but ain’t worked them in two years.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      I would have bet it was yellow jackets instead of honey bees. Guess these imported dudes are mean.
      Bee guy said the Fed did a recent survey of hives throughout the SHNF and 66 percent of all bees had at least some African genetics. He said it just depends how much they have as to how aggressive they get.

The introduction of the African to the American (European) honey bees was to breed the aggressiveness out of the African but all it did was make the European bees meaner. Then they got away from the lab and boom. Sound familiar? Lmao. Scientists never learn.

Comment

I was weedeating my camp in Hebbronville this weekend and stirred up a hive. Can't remember bees being so aggressive. They lit me up and continued to swarm for a few hours. I'm all for saving bees but this group is getting a heavy dose of soap and chemicals upon my next trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          Took 2. Bee guy will be here at 3. Man them honey bees are mean. Ive been stung by about everything. Even got into a nest of red wasps before, but they left me alone after the attack. These bastages chased me across the pasture and a few even came in the house after me.
          Africanized???

Comment

Good to hear that all in all you’re okay and it wasn’t worse.

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
              Africanized???
              Yup.

Comment

I had a bunch make a huge hive in the underpinning of my travel trailer. Called a keeper out and he identified them as African bees. He came back a night and used a pump sprayer of soapy water to kill them. He said they can’t fly well at night, their navigation is thrown off, and the soapy water drowns them. It worked well.

Comment

99 problems and a bee-sting one

Comment

I have run across two Africanized hives, yes they are relentless. The first hive, I was talking to a woman in her driveway, about her car, when she started waving her hands and then hitting at her hair. I was looking at her like she was nuts. Then she ripped my cap off, started waving it around, then threw it on the ground. At that point, I still had not seen any bees, and thought she was nuts. The instant, my cap stopped moving about 20 bees came out of nowhere and flew into the cap. She took my cap and and started waving it around very fast, every time, she stopped waving it, the bees swarmed the cap. I took it from her walked out to my car, waved it around got the bees out of it, then tossed it in the car. That ****** off the bees, then they came after both of us. They chased both of us about 200 yards down the street. We eventually went back and saw a large swarm on the front of her house.

Some years later I had a huge hive in a wall of my house, old wooden farm house. That turned into about a three day mess. I discovered them when I was working on my car in the garage. Then saw bees swarming in the garage, the hit me a few times, I went outside and stood in front of the house. Saw there were a bunch more bees flying around outside the garage, which was detached from the house. They were flying a big loop around the garage like they were looking for the source of the noise. I had been banging on something.

Then when I walked towards the house, I saw there was a huge cloud of bees between the house and the garage. Skip swarm, I really mean cloud, it was dense with bees. I was done working. I went in the house. Waited an hour went back out and everything was good. So I stupidly went back to work, within minutes, I had bees swarming around in the garage again. Some popping me, but most just zipping around looking for the source of the noise. So I went back outside again, sure enough they were going in a loop around the outside of the garage again, and then a cloud between the house and garage. I went back in the house and decided the bees had to go.

I bought a case of wasp spray, and a case of bug bombs. Then waited till that night and started WW III. It got very bad, I almost had to abandon the house. I found every hole in that wall of the house, and plugged it up, with spray foam or corks. I spray foamed every crack, gap, ECT I could find they might be able to get out of. Then the next night I pulled a cork out of the wall, had the case of bug bombs ready. Then started popping caps, setting them off one at a time, then putting the top of the bug bomb over the hole in the wall. I put the contents of 8 bug bombs in that wall, then put the cork back in the hole, and went into the house.

On the inside of the house, you could hear a pretty loud hum from the wall, that wall was warm. I was able to figure out how large the hive was, but how much of the wall was warm. I realized pretty quickly I started a war with a monster hive, they were ******. Well eventually they found a way out of the wall, then things got bad. The swarmed out the back wall of the house, flew around to the back sliding glass door, where the living room light was shining threw. They covered the sliding glass back door and had a very dense swarm on the back porch. Then they found ways to get inside the house from the room where they had the hive in the wall. I had probably 500 POed bees inside the house flying around.

I went outside with the case of wasp spray, had a can of wasp spray stuffed in all four pockets of my shorts, then stood off in the darkness outside the back porch and started hosing them down, with wasp spray. It took about 10 cans to wipe out the majority of the ones on the back porch. When I went back inside the house, that's when I found I had about 500 inside the house. I turned off every light in the house, except for the one living room light. Then did the same thing I did outside. Stood in the dark and started hosing down the bees going to the light. I killed all of them in the house. Then had to go spray foam every crack, and gap on the inside of the house, in the end of the house where the hive was. That next day, there were many thousands of dead bees on the back porch, and probably over 500 dead bees inside the house.

The next day, I had another case of wasp spray, decided to continue the war during the day, after I came up with the idea of driving my truck right up to the side of the house, then cracked the window and started hosing them down on the side of the house. As I emptied a can, I would roll the window back up. grab another can, put the straw on it, then crack the window and go back to hosing them down. I killed many thousands of bees that way, used up close to another case doing that.

I did some major damage that first night. Then we had round two the second night, then the final round the third night. By the fourth day, there were a lot less bees on the outside of the house. By the fifth day, the remaining hive left.

That hive had been in that wall for years, or there had been a hive of honey bees in that wall for years. I used to ride around on the lawn mower with them swarming around coming out of the wall above my head. Never bothered me. I could walk right past where they came out of the wall, while they were buzzing around with a small swarm, and a bunch on the wall. Never had any problems with them. I never saw them swarm like they did that day I was working on my car. I don't think the hive had ever been anywhere near the size it got to, when they got aggressive. They had filled up almost that whole wall, on that end of the house, judging by what part of the wall was warm and what part was cold.

It did not take me long to decide they had to go, the garage was 20 yards from the house, me banging around inside the garage was causing them to make a huge cloud between the house and garage, then a large swarm flying around and in the garage. There was no way, I was going to be able to do much of anything outside the house.

In all of that mess, I never got stung once. They hit me numerous times, when I was in the garage, but they never stung me. In my two encounters with Africanized bees, I found they give you warning, to clear the area. They fly into you full speed, feels about like someone thumping you with a finger. When you feel them start hitting you, clear the area right now, you are getting warned, they are only going to do that for so long, before they start stinging you. Both times I was getting hit in the garage, I calming walked out of the garage and stood about 50 yards from the garage, and watched what was going on.
                    In that first encounter, at that woman's house, she got them very riled with her waving her hands and then waving my ball cap around. After I threw the cap in the car, they started hitting me like machinegun fire. I figured they were about to light me up big time. So we both took off running. They chased us the whole distance, we ran at least 200 yards down the street, when we stopped there were still bees swarming around us. After a few minutes, they left and went back to the rest of the colony. At the house, I calmly walked out of the garage, with them hitting me, they stopped hitting me shortly after I got out of the garage. They did not follow me out across the yard, they kept flying around in the garage or around the outside of the garage.

Your reaction to them, seems to affect how they react to you. Fast movement seems to be bad, no matter what fast movement you are doing. I really don't want to test out my theory again, those suckers are scary. Had I known how huge that swam was at the house, I don't think I would have been so calm. I thought it was just 20 bees or so, till I got 50 yards or so from the garage, turned around and looked back. That's when I realized what I had just walked away from. I don't think I would have calmly walked away, had I known how big the swarm was outside the garage.

When I was inside the garage, I saw the bees flying around me, about the same time, they started hitting me. So I stopped what I was doing immediately, looked around and saw there were about 20 bees flying in a circle inside the garage, like they were hunting for the source of the noise. They were zipping past me, doing a loop the size of the inside of the garage. They did not seem to have any concern with me, when I was just standing there. When I started walking out, a few of them popped me, by the time I was 10 ft. from the garage, they quit popping me, and they never followed me. They were hunting for the source of the noise that set them off, and at the time, I was not making that noise, so they were flying in a loop around the inside of the garage hunting the source of that noise.
                    For years before those two incidents, I had talked to multiple people who live down in south Texas, where those bees are much more common. They all told me that noise sets them off. So that's why I stopped making any noise and stood there calmly, and they for the most part left me alone. I am sure, had I kept banging on whatever it was I was banging on, when the scouting party showed up, I would have gotten zapped numerous times, and had I had a normal swinging at them with my hands reaction, I probably would have been in for a very bad surprise when the rest of the war party joined in. They had some serious reinforcements outside that day.

I know that thumping, popping feeling well, when I feel it, I stop what I am doing immediately and calmly look around to see how many bees are around me. On a couple of other occasions, I have had small groups of bees, on those occasion, I only saw maybe five bees, don't know where the rest of them were, I did not want to meet the rest of the hive, so I quit doing whatever it was I was doing and left, the area.

Good luck with your bees, I would not want to mess with a hive of Africanized bees that are 40 ft. up in a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      I have run across two Africanized hives, yes they are relentless. The first hive, I was talking to a woman in her driveway, about her car, when she started waving her hands and then hitting at her hair. I was looking at her like she was nuts. Then she ripped my cap off, started waving it around, then threw it on the ground. At that point, I still had not seen any bees, and thought she was nuts. The instant, my cap stopped moving about 20 bees came out of nowhere and flew into the cap. She took my cap and and started waving it around very fast, every time, she stopped waving it, the bees swarmed the cap. I took it from her walked out to my car, waved it around got the bees out of it, then tossed it in the car. That ****** off the bees, then they came after both of us. They chased both of us about 200 yards down the street. We eventually went back and saw a large swarm on the front of her house.

Some years later I had a huge hive in a wall of my house, old wooden farm house. That turned into about a three day mess. I discovered them when I was working on my car in the garage. Then saw bees swarming in the garage, the hit me a few times, I went outside and stood in front of the house. Saw there were a bunch more bees flying around outside the garage, which was detached from the house. They were flying a big loop around the garage like they were looking for the source of the noise. I had been banging on something.

Then when I walked towards the house, I saw there was a huge cloud of bees between the house and the garage. Skip swarm, I really mean cloud, it was dense with bees. I was done working. I went in the house. Waited an hour went back out and everything was good. So I stupidly went back to work, within minutes, I had bees swarming around in the garage again. Some popping me, but most just zipping around looking for the source of the noise. So I went back outside again, sure enough they were going in a loop around the outside of the garage again, and then a cloud between the house and garage. I went back in the house and decided the bees had to go.

I bought a case of wasp spray, and a case of bug bombs. Then waited till that night and started WW III. It got very bad, I almost had to abandon the house. I found every hole in that wall of the house, and plugged it up, with spray foam or corks. I spray foamed every crack, gap, ECT I could find they might be able to get out of. Then the next night I pulled a cork out of the wall, had the case of bug bombs ready. Then started popping caps, setting them off one at a time, then putting the top of the bug bomb over the hole in the wall. I put the contents of 8 bug bombs in that wall, then put the cork back in the hole, and went into the house.

On the inside of the house, you could hear a pretty loud hum from the wall, that wall was warm. I was able to figure out how large the hive was, but how much of the wall was warm. I realized pretty quickly I started a war with a monster hive, they were ******. Well eventually they found a way out of the wall, then things got bad. The swarmed out the back wall of the house, flew around to the back sliding glass door, where the living room light was shining threw. They covered the sliding glass back door and had a very dense swarm on the back porch. Then they found ways to get inside the house from the room where they had the hive in the wall. I had probably 500 POed bees inside the house flying around.

I went outside with the case of wasp spray, had a can of wasp spray stuffed in all four pockets of my shorts, then stood off in the darkness outside the back porch and started hosing them down, with wasp spray. It took about 10 cans to wipe out the majority of the ones on the back porch. When I went back inside the house, that's when I found I had about 500 inside the house. I turned off every light in the house, except for the one living room light. Then did the same thing I did outside. Stood in the dark and started hosing down the bees going to the light. I killed all of them in the house. Then had to go spray foam every crack, and gap on the inside of the house, in the end of the house where the hive was. That next day, there were many thousands of dead bees on the back porch, and probably over 500 dead bees inside the house.

The next day, I had another case of wasp spray, decided to continue the war during the day, after I came up with the idea of driving my truck right up to the side of the house, then cracked the window and started hosing them down on the side of the house. As I emptied a can, I would roll the window back up. grab another can, put the straw on it, then crack the window and go back to hosing them down. I killed many thousands of bees that way, used up close to another case doing that.

I did some major damage that first night. Then we had round two the second night, then the final round the third night. By the fourth day, there were a lot less bees on the outside of the house. By the fifth day, the remaining hive left.

That hive had been in that wall for years, or there had been a hive of honey bees in that wall for years. I used to ride around on the lawn mower with them swarming around coming out of the wall above my head. Never bothered me. I could walk right past where they came out of the wall, while they were buzzing around with a small swarm, and a bunch on the wall. Never had any problems with them. I never saw them swarm like they did that day I was working on my car. I don't think the hive had ever been anywhere near the size it got to, when they got aggressive. They had filled up almost that whole wall, on that end of the house, judging by what part of the wall was warm and what part was cold.

It did not take me long to decide they had to go, the garage was 20 yards from the house, me banging around inside the garage was causing them to make a huge cloud between the house and garage, then a large swarm flying around and in the garage. There was no way, I was going to be able to do much of anything outside the house.

In all of that mess, I never got stung once. They hit me numerous times, when I was in the garage, but they never stung me. In my two encounters with Africanized bees, I found they give you warning, to clear the area. They fly into you full speed, feels about like someone thumping you with a finger. When you feel them start hitting you, clear the area right now, you are getting warned, they are only going to do that for so long, before they start stinging you. Both times I was getting hit in the garage, I calming walked out of the garage and stood about 50 yards from the garage, and watched what was going on.
                      In that first encounter, at that woman's house, she got them very riled with her waving her hands and then waving my ball cap around. After I threw the cap in the car, they started hitting me like machinegun fire. I figured they were about to light me up big time. So we both took off running. They chased us the whole distance, we ran at least 200 yards down the street, when we stopped there were still bees swarming around us. After a few minutes, they left and went back to the rest of the colony. At the house, I calmly walked out of the garage, with them hitting me, they stopped hitting me shortly after I got out of the garage. They did not follow me out across the yard, they kept flying around in the garage or around the outside of the garage.

Your reaction to them, seems to affect how they react to you. Fast movement seems to be bad, no matter what fast movement you are doing. I really don't want to test out my theory again, those suckers are scary. Had I known how huge that swam was at the house, I don't think I would have been so calm. I thought it was just 20 bees or so, till I got 50 yards or so from the garage, turned around and looked back. That's when I realized what I had just walked away from. I don't think I would have calmly walked away, had I known how big the swarm was outside the garage.

When I was inside the garage, I saw the bees flying around me, about the same time, they started hitting me. So I stopped what I was doing immediately, looked around and saw there were about 20 bees flying in a circle inside the garage, like they were hunting for the source of the noise. They were zipping past me, doing a loop the size of the inside of the garage. They did not seem to have any concern with me, when I was just standing there. When I started walking out, a few of them popped me, by the time I was 10 ft. from the garage, they quit popping me, and they never followed me. They were hunting for the source of the noise that set them off, and at the time, I was not making that noise, so they were flying in a loop around the inside of the garage hunting the source of that noise.
                      For years before those two incidents, I had talked to multiple people who live down in south Texas, where those bees are much more common. They all told me that noise sets them off. So that's why I stopped making any noise and stood there calmly, and they for the most part left me alone. I am sure, had I kept banging on whatever it was I was banging on, when the scouting party showed up, I would have gotten zapped numerous times, and had I had a normal swinging at them with my hands reaction, I probably would have been in for a very bad surprise when the rest of the war party joined in. They had some serious reinforcements outside that day.

I know that thumping, popping feeling well, when I feel it, I stop what I am doing immediately and calmly look around to see how many bees are around me. On a couple of other occasions, I have had small groups of bees, on those occasion, I only saw maybe five bees, don't know where the rest of them were, I did not want to meet the rest of the hive, so I quit doing whatever it was I was doing and left, the area.

Good luck with your bees, I would not want to mess with a hive of Africanized bees that are 40 ft. up in a tree.
                      Can't wait for chapters 5-10!!

[emoji38][emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Can't wait for chapters 5-10!!

[emoji38][emoji38]
                        Every single post. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to lose weight. Bees chasing people at lightening speed. Plus I'm sweeter than yoohoo.

Comment

You’re lucky your kids did not stumble into them. Crazy scary they are that aggressive!

Comment

Well maybe more hit me in the head than I thought or what I thought hit me was enough venom, but woke up this morning and my right eye is pretty much swollen shut and my face overall is swollen lol. Benadryl day today. I look right pretty lmao.

Comment

Instead of lumberjack’s, wouldn’t it be more fun with 3 lbs. of C-4??

Comment

Working...
                                X