Shop Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop Cooling

I have a 30' x 36' shop that is used as a game room but don't have an AC in it. Does anyone have any experience using an evaporative air cooler in their shops. The doors will be kept closed. My concern is, does using one of these units cause the shop to become humid or make the things in the shop become "sweaty"?

Thanks

In for answers. I have been thinking about the same thing but I've read that evaporative coolers don't work well when humidity is high which is usually the case around here.

Comment

My experience with them is they don't work well unless you're standing right in front of it. On top of that, they put a lot of moisture in the shop and things start rusting.

Comment

We use air movers, big *** fans etc. Makes it very comfortable. I would think the swamp coolers would be hit or miss as others have stated because of humidity.

Comment

I was at a shop the other day that had some huge air coolers in it. Big ones. I didn’t know they made em that big. Home Depot sells used ones thru their rental dept that would save you some money

Comment

Swamp coolers aren't that good in Texas when it is hot and humid. Put in a window ac or mini split. Window ac would be easiest and cheapest.

Comment

Checkout usfanco.com

Comment

I put a 220 wall unit in up high at one end of my shop !
                Can hang meat in there during the summer. No moisture issues.

Comment

I bought the one at Home dept. I run it with the door open just to blow colder air on me while working on my project. I have not run it with the doors closed to see how it feels. i can give it a test and see!

Comment

That's how swamp coolers work. They evaporate water to cool the air. They don't work very well in high humidity because the air is already loaded with water. My SIL lives in Phoenix. A swamp cooler is all she had in her house for years. It worked fine there.

Comment

My shop is about 25x40 and insulated, i put a 24K BTU window unit it and it cools if very nice.

Comment

Thank you for your responses. It looks like I'll go with AC unit.

Comment

Late to the party, but yes. Swamp coolers don't do very great around here because the air is already so loaded with humidity you don't get a ton of evaporation. What you will do is make the humidity in your shop very high so all your tools will start to rust and it won't be any more comfortable.

A window unit or mini split is a much better option.

Comment

Mini split....

Comment

I have a 30x50 with spray foam, I have the biggest 110v window unit I could get. It'll keep it tolerable in there during the summer with other fans going
                              Problem I have is the doors transferring heat. But its definitely better with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X