Dryer Question - Discharge Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dryer Question - Discharge Hose

Just curious if anyone has some help. Almost complete after Harvey rebuild and we are going to stack the washer and dryer for more room and build a cabinet for storage where the dryer was located.

I am tired of the flimsy flex hose and getting bent and kinked upon install. I would like to use a 6'piece of 3" PVC to run from the near the dryer, 90 out the wall and install my vent screen onto the end. I would have to run the pipe through the back of a 24" wide cabinet but I can't see it being an issue. It would be a horizontal run, about 18" off the ground

I have no desire to run the flex at all, even though it's metal. We have smart dryer that's eco friendly and the discharge heat is very little, it's like it cools the air before it exits?

Any input?

Heat was my biggest concern reading this but if your dryer cools the air first, I guess the only other recommendation would be to seal up the hole around the pipe good and put a good screen to prevent rain, birds, and wasps from getting in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Like all plumbing, drain needs to run down hill so any condensation goes outside not back to dryer. They use a similar system up north to ventilate high efficiency heaters...at least on This Old House I have seen them.

I installed the system that allows use of the wall cavity to keep the flex hose from kinking. You will need some kind of flex to allow for movement of the dryer to install/disconnect the line.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
        Like all plumbing, drain needs to run down hill so any condensation goes outside not back to dryer. They use a similar system up north to ventilate high efficiency heaters...at least on This Old House I have seen them.

I installed the system that allows use of the wall cavity to keep the flex hose from kinking. You will need some kind of flex to allow for movement of the dryer to install/disconnect the line.
        Understood. I will use flex duct for the short 2' run from the dryer to the pipe and that's all.

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

why not use a rigid metal duct system? there are several good options to choose from.

Comment

Using anything but metal is against most building codes and for good reason. Why not just use hard metal dryer duct? If there was a fire because the PVC melted/burned due to lint I doubt your insurance company would cover the damage.

If you ever sell the house it wouldn't pass inspection from a competent inspector.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
              why not use a rigid metal duct system? there are several good options to choose from.
              Do this...not PVC. Too many things could go wrong with PVC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I cleaned dryer vents as a side business for a couple years. There are A Lot of 3 and 4" PVC dryer vent pipes. Most of the ones I came across were running through the slab. Like mentioned before, make it run a tad downhill for condensation. Other than that your idea will work just fine.
                99.9 % of dryer vent fires are because no one ever leaned the vent pipe. I cleaned many that were packed full of lint from the dryer to the opening. Do not use a screen on the outlet, use one that opens when running then closes when off. Screens will catch lint and start the filling process.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  I cleaned dryer vents as a side business for a couple years. There are A Lot of 3 and 4" PVC dryer vent pipes. Most of the ones I came across were running through the slab. Like mentioned before, make it run a tad downhill for condensation. Other than that your idea will work just fine.
                  99.9 % of dryer vent fires are because no one ever leaned the vent pipe. I cleaned many that were packed full of lint from the dryer to the opening. Do not use a screen on the outlet, use one that opens when running then closes when off. Screens will catch lint and start the filling process.
                  Got any tips on how to clean one out?

Comment

Originally posted by muddyz View Post
                    I have one of these that you put in your drill, and it works fine. I had a PVC dryer vent pipe that ran thru the slab in my old house. Never had an issue out of in in the 20yrs we lived there.

Bisch

Comment

A leaf blower works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't use 3" . Restrict it down and it will stop up. I use 4" sdr 35 pvc. swabbed it out with cloroxed rag and mop handle

Comment

The one Bisch has in the link would work fine. Just don't use reverse or they may come apart. Work from the dryer to the exit and when you think you have it clean make a pass or two from the exit toward the dryer. New systems probably don't need much attention in the first year or two.

Comment

I have no idea how new homes in this area passed inspection(built in 2000). Exit dryer, 90 into wall, run 10 feet straight up into attic, 90 degree, run 30 feet in flex hose and exit to outside. I have cleaned mine(PIA). I'm sure 99.9% of the rest have not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                              I have no idea how new homes in this area passed inspection(built in 2000). Exit dryer, 90 into wall, run 10 feet straight up into attic, 90 degree, run 30 feet in flex hose and exit to outside. I have cleaned mine(PIA). I'm sure 99.9% of the rest have not.
                              They do a lot of stupid things with dryer vents.
                              I run a couple fires a year that originate in the laundry room

Comment

Working...
                              X