Sendero History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sendero History

Can someone set me straight on 1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd etc?

I have a all black 300WM fluted that I thought was first gen, but I hear the all black non fluted is the original?

Thanks,
    JF
    Last edited by Main Frame; 06-25-2019, 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo

Found this seems to have some historical background

I have one also

Plain parkerized barrel

It's a true sendero special

I was unaware there were 3 versions

Good info in this archive

Great rifle regardless

I know there is a 700 SPS that is similar in looks but is not even close in craftsmanship

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

The all black fluted are a bit of a head scratcher & I really haven't looked into...yes, the all black non fluted are considered first gen. These have a rough texture on the bbl, but I think yours might be more of a smoother type black finish correct?? I've seen one all black fluted swift but really can't find anything in blue book anyway. We have another member here who has a laminated version too.

What is the s/n on your gun?? My original senderos are like E626***x / E633***x. This should help to see if they are in the same family / time frame.

Comment

Starts with C686***x

Comment

Maybe blake can chime in...my original VS swift is a D series action.

A call into remington might be in order to see if they can give you anything other than a simple 700.

Edit...did some searching. I think you got something spiffy!!

Google Bill Hicks Sendero / Bill Hicks 700

Several links & the laminated is touched on as well...hell, I would call yours a pre sendero at this point??

See post 23:

Last edited by Artos; 06-25-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Well look at that! Thing is a shooter too! I take it to Mexico every year

Comment

I dont think the blue/fluted is the 'original' I think much like the laminate stock with blue/fluted it was a distributor special. Only a call to Rem will probably straighten that out.

It is a pain in the *** to get through to a real human who knows guns up there but I managed it when I was putting together a clone of the 'short action sendero' aka the Varmint Special. I got the part numbers and manufacturers they used when they first rolled those models out.

My best understanding is that for factory specific models you have:

Gen 1- Blued (no flutes) with the HS synthetic stock, barrel stamp will be 'Sendero'
              Gen 2a- Stainless Fluted 'SF' with the HS synthetic stock, stamped Sendero, barrel flutes will be black.
              Gen 2b- Stainless Fluted II 'SFII', same stock, not sure the difference from the 'SF' except maybe production timeframe or if they changed the stock slightly. I think the action prefix letters might be the only way to tell unless someone has the original box.

There are a bunch of distributor specials- hell I saw one with a green synthetic stock, from the factory, in .264wm.

Then as mentioned you have PSS versions in 300wm and 300RUM

Comment

I just bought an original all black Sendero in 300 WM off of here. SN:E628 per Remington it was made in June of 1996. The guy I bought it from was not the first owner and said he never shot it. Not to hi jack your thread but Main Frame can you tell me what factory ammo does yours like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven’t shot factory ammo out of it. I load 210 gr Bergers at about 2900 FPS and it loves that recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                    I dont think the blue/fluted is the 'original' I think much like the laminate stock with blue/fluted it was a distributor special. Only a call to Rem will probably straighten that out.

It is a pain in the *** to get through to a real human who knows guns up there but I managed it when I was putting together a clone of the 'short action sendero' aka the Varmint Special. I got the part numbers and manufacturers they used when they first rolled those models out.

My best understanding is that for factory specific models you have:

Gen 1- Blued (no flutes) with the HS synthetic stock, barrel stamp will be 'Sendero'
                    Gen 2a- Stainless Fluted 'SF' with the HS synthetic stock, stamped Sendero, barrel flutes will be black.
                    Gen 2b- Stainless Fluted II 'SFII', same stock, not sure the difference from the 'SF' except maybe production timeframe or if they changed the stock slightly. I think the action prefix letters might be the only way to tell unless someone has the original box.

There are a bunch of distributor specials- hell I saw one with a green synthetic stock, from the factory, in .264wm.

Then as mentioned you have PSS versions in 300wm and 300RUM
                    The SFI is all stainless flutes (no black on barrel).
                    The SFII is stainless with black flutes.

I have 4 senderos all in 25-06.
                    Gen 1 (all black)
                    Gen 1 fluted (all black)(distributor special run and I can't remember who it was for...)
                    SFI
                    SFII

And they all shoot great. Still looking for one with the laminate stock if someone has it in 25-06 let me know!!!

Comment

fishman-- the only Senderos I've seen with laminate all had magnum bolt faces (300win and 300RUM)

But if I see one I'll let ya know!!

Comment

I had a sf2 in 223 I sold here. Wish I had it back just cause

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Updated info on MF's rifle

Manufactured in the 2nd Qtr (Apr May Jun) 1994 at the Remington plant in Illion, NY. This is not a custom shop rifle, and this model (blued, fluted) is not listed in the 1994 catalog. It wasn't until 1996 that Remington offered the 700 in a stainless fluted (SF) version.

According to Remington, they never made rifles to test the waters and see how they would sell. After deciding on a rifle's specs, they would go all in and produce 10,000+ over a 2 year period. If sales sucked, they discnt'd the model. i.e. the EtroniX … what an epic dud from big green

IMO, the posted link above with details of a similar rifle for sale on the I-net was a marketing ploy by the seller to make his rifle seem special. In reality that seller's rifle and MF's rifle are both special, just not made by the Rem custom shop. The early model Sendero fluted (1994) was a "customer exclusive" of 200-500 firearms ordered by distributers like Bill Hicks, Accusport, Lipsey's, Jerry's, etc... based on their requested specs. Remington made the rifles and sent the entire order to the wholesaler who marketed the rifles as a "Limited run or exclusive production model".

I worked in a gun shop and built custom rifles from 1989 - 1996. If this was a Remington mass production rifle, I would have remembered ordering them for the shop or for customers. Honestly, in the last 25 yrs, I've probably only seen 10 of these rifles for sale which further confirms they were a customer or wholesaler exclusive.

More history on the Sendero type rifles … prior to 1994, pretty much all manufactured bolt action rifles were wood stocks, high-lustre bluing, and sporter contour barrels. The general public did not want black rifles with bull barrels that weighed 9.5 lbs. Pretty sure Browning offered the first black rifle in their A-Bolt composite stalker rifle. Winchester followed suite since they were owned by the same parent company - FN. Today, composite stock, heavy barrel guns seem to be the norm.
                          Last edited by Cajun Blake; 06-26-2019, 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have a blue fluted 300 win. Called Remington and was told it was produced in 1995. Not the wood stock but the H-S Precision stock.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X