African Safari Wardrobe Mid August?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

African Safari Wardrobe Mid August?

I know I won't need many sets due to daily laundry service, but I am looking into getting some stuff to wear over there. What do you guys recommend and where do you get it?

Ive looked at some of the pants they sell at Duluth, but I don't have any experience with those guys.

Thanks for any help.

It’s pricey but I love me some Sitka!! Never been to Africa.

Comment

your outfitter should have a list for you. But one long sleeve, one short sleeve, two long pairs of pants, two pairs of shorts. 3-4 pairs of socks, same for underwear. Plus your traveling clothes. Ive been twice and overpacked both times.

Comment

Take a jacket or hoodie. It’ll be winter time in August. Last time we were there in August, it got down to 38* one nite.

Khaki or black cargo pants, olive drab long sleeve shirts.

Are y’all bowhunting or spot n stalk. Bowhunting at a water hole? Black long sleeve shirts. No camo needed.

Comment

I am going late July and it could be low 40’s in the am to 70’s in the afternoon so you will at least need a light jacket with a few layers in the morning. I don’t think shorts are good this time of year except maybe lounging at camp. I am just bringing my normal hunting gear for that weather.

Comment

pants: wrangler lightweight rip stop work pants from Walmart.
            Shirts : solid color long sleeve button ups from various places
            Shoes: Russell Moccassan joe ph hunting boots
            Socks: under armor boot socks from academy
            5:11 tactical vest with all daily essentials and A light jacket

Comment

You won't need anything fancy but prepare for extremes. It can be freezing in the morning and sweltering that same day in the afternoon. I just wore neutral colors such as khaki, olive, and browns. As far as pants go I wore blue jeans most of the time. Your guide and tracker won't be wearing camo but will be wearing the aforementioned colors so why bother with camo. Black would be good for the ground blinds and if your out in the sun for awhile wear long sleeves with a good hat. I'd also recommend a good set of boots, the thorns over there will go right through tennis shoes.

Comment

Following...

Comment

My first safari was in August, towards the end of the Africa hunting season. It was supposed to be warm. The first 2 nights I was there I awoke to ice spewing out of the ground... it got down to 27 degrees Fahrenheit both nights. I put on every stitch that I had with me and froze me arse off for the next couple of days.

I went many times afterward, and I always had plenty of clothes with me. Not a whole lot of different items of clothing, but enough to last me a couple of days in the event something went awry with the daily laundering system, and I never left home without a good set of lightweight outer gear that cut the wind and was also waterproof. It can get pretty cold in the open truck on a cool morning. You really never know what the weather will bring. Try not to overpack, but don't go unprepared either.

Comment

I just wear the clothes I already had for hunting!!!! Be prepared for near freezing temps at daylight to 70’s-90 during the heat of the day. I had a large pile of layers laying in the floor of the blind by 10am every day!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ill be honest, I don't really hunt anywhere that I need to prepare for that kind of temp swing in the same day. Im not sure how to layer for that!!

Comment

Don't know which country you are going to be hunting but in Zimbabwe, it is illegal for anyone other than the military to wear camo.

Comment

Convertible pants so you can zip off the legs when it gets warm. A good layering system as it does get chilly in the morning and then heats quickly.

Comment

Camo is legal in south africa

Comment

Cold nights, warm days. The sun can be pretty intense though. Bring stuff for layering. "Warm season" camo will be fine. I usually wore a hoodie in the mornings.

Comment

Working...
                              X