Scope mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope mounting

Question......is it important to lap scope rings and make your scope mounted professionally? As in with the levels and all? And if the general opinion is yes is there someone near the magnolia area that could help me do this? I’ve got the wheeler fat wrench and I’ve mounted my previous scopes without all the bells and whistles but this is my first long range, large caliber rifle with very expensive glass. Seems stupid to spend so much money on the set up then screw up mounting the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would at least use levels to mount the scope. Lapping would be good also unless you are using high quality rings such as seekins.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
      I would at least use levels to mount the scope. Lapping would be good also unless you are using high quality rings such as seekins.

Yep they’re seekins

Comment

I buy nice scope rings, but I never saw how the quality mattered if you're not using one-piece scope mounts with regards to lapping since you'll have a lot of tolerance stacking from the ring to base to ring. Check it with the alignment tool, it'll tell you if they're lined up. Edit: If they're good quality CNC machined ones (like Seekins), and they line up, I generally assume they'll have good surface contact and don't lap.

Does lapping provide benefits? Clearly. Even pressure on the scope so it's clamping stress is evenly spread out and ensuring proper alignment so the scope doesn't have a bending force on it. But unless your rings are really off, you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference in your shooting a lapped vs unlapped set of rings.
        Last edited by sir shovelhands; 05-22-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I just got through contemplating the exact same thing with my RAP 6.5 + Nikon Black FX. The most I've ever spent on a rifle or optic. Was worried about skimping at the end when it came to mounting and lapping rings. I had 4 options: Buy expensive Seekins rings and scope mounting kit for DIY mount, or pay $150 for precision mount(Includes Lapping) through my gunsmith, or basic mount (No lapping), or free mount through Cabelas. I went with expensive rings and free mount through Cabelas. Rifle is sub-MOA so far with factory loads.

The general consensus I got from all the research and reviews is:

1.) Buy quality rings and you want have to worry about lapping.

2.) When Mounting and leveling confirm crosshairs are level vertically with a weight/string hung from the ceiling or other object

3.) You will notice issues with lapping or crappy mount with inconsistent groupings. At that point you could go back and do a precision mount.

Comment

Gotcha. I have the fat wrench and I’ve always used a leveled surface. I’ve never had an issue before but with a $1600 rifle, a Leupold VX 6hd and seekins rings I felt the same way, I don’t want to be cheap about it. Triple J right down the street says they’ll level and mount it for $35. The seekins shouldn’t need lapping they said but they’ll check. Figured it wasn’t a bad deal so I’ll run it by when I get off work.

Comment

Picture for reference. And because just holding this beast is sexy as hell.

Comment

with quality rings and a quality gun/rail you shouldn't have an issue.

Comment

When I lapped my Seekins rings on a Seekins rail I got uneven finish removal. I posted about it and got a lot of flak from the "spend more money and don't worry about it" crew.
                  Link
                  I lap every time. Whether or not it makes a difference is debatable, however it certainly does not hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                    When I lapped my Seekins rings on a Seekins rail I got uneven finish removal. I posted about it and got a lot of flak from the "spend more money and don't worry about it" crew.
                    Link
                    I lap every time. Whether or not it makes a difference is debatable, however it certainly does not hurt.

Wow. After reading that I need a drink. Unfortunately I’m in uniform so that’s not possible lol. Very good information. Thank you for the thread link!

Comment

I run Seekins rings on almost all my rigs. Now like Meltingfeather has said it may not helps but it won’t hurt either. That said I don’t lap any of my rings, and I stretch my rifles out pretty regularly. It has yet to be an issue for.

Comment

What caliber are you mounting it on? I agree with the others, quality rings/scope do not need to be lapped, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          Link

Hey I sent you a pm. If you don’t mind indulging me [emoji6]

Comment

First a tundra cement and now a vx6, you have great taste! Haven’t had much issue with seekins rings but gonna go with Hawkins hybrids on my west texas ordnance build.

Originally posted by mmlreiner View Post
                            Picture for reference. And because just holding this beast is sexy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                              First a tundra cement and now a vx6, you have great taste! Haven’t had much issue with seekins rings but gonna go with Hawkins hybrids on my west texas ordnance build.

Lol thanks brother!! Unfortunately the seekins are a tad too high after going through all sitting positions (including prone) Ordered lower and they’ll be here Friday. But dang it’s awesome!! It’s the custom 7mm STW that another member had for sale on here a couple of months ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X