Looking for tips on tipping in Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for tips on tipping in Africa

Whats the norm for tipping PH's, trackers, servants etc.?

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
    Whats the norm for tipping PH's, trackers, servants etc.?
    Your guide's website should help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you search tipping on the Africahunting.com forum you will find tons of info. Like most opinion threads here though, the opinions vary. A lot of those guys have been there many times and can shed some light.

Comment

I did 10% of my hunting amount and gave it to the PH/owner to deal out to his staff (trackers, cooks, cleaning staff), since they know best who is doing what.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw_6 View Post
          I did 10% of my hunting amount and gave it to the PH/owner to deal out to his staff (trackers, cooks, cleaning staff), since they know best who is doing what.
          I was thinking along this line. Does hunting amount equate to daily rate for room and board, guide fees and trophy fees?

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
            Does hunting amount equate to daily rate for room and board, guide fees and trophy fees?

Yep, total amount paid to PH prior to tip.

Comment

Your outfitter will be able to provide you with a guide for tips. Remember, it is just a guide, your budget, experience, etc. will factor into that number.

Comment

Hand out some MAGA hats while your at it.

Comment

I typically tip my PH 100 per day and give the outfitter 300 to split between the rest of the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This tends to be very much a personal thing but I’ve been on a lot of trips so here’s my take.

I like dealing with the staff on a personal level. I always soak in the entire experience and enjoy getting to know them all and learning from their perspective. House staff is generally tipped the least, but their work is important. I take special care of tracker/skinners, as they provide the biggest service to you and mine have all worked their tails off and impressed me with their hunting skills. Often, a gift of binoculars, shoes, knives, etc. can be more valuable to them than money, as money doesn’t go far towards those kind of things due to the high costs there. Your PH can tell you ahead of time what they need. I’ve given some of them some pretty nice items on return trips to the same place.

I’ve been blessed with some outstanding PH’s, and I’ve tipped them with Swarovski rifle scopes and $1000 cash for the best ones.

Comment

My experiences mirror Jeff's. I find about 10% of the total cost works out about right. Half of that will be to the Ph, especially on a DG hunt. The others get split up accordingly and I prefer to put them in cheap white envelopes and give them personally, so they know it did not get changed by the PH after I leave. All of mine have been stand up guys, and I don't believe they ever would, but it satisfies the staff easier. I have transferred rifles, scopes, binos as gifts also. Almost all of them smoke, so candy and a pack of cigarettes each day during the trip, and money only at the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X