No announcement yet.

Well...What Do You Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the whloe thing has been watered down. The way the new rules read, the guy that went to several shoots and shot good on a consistant basis will not be rewarded. Now it all boils down to who has a good / bad day at state.

Theres allready an award for that. the STATE BUCKLE.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      This of the SOY as more of a playoff system now, which is totally valid. And think...how on earth did Seattle beat New Orleans??? Were they actually better? Possibly they were but realistically they weren't. So, just because you are good against certain people does not mean you are the best in all situations.

Are the Saints more upset at the playoff system for costing them a victory, and booting them, or should they have just played better??

SEA DAT?!

Comment

This of the SOY as more of a playoff system now, which is totally valid. And think...how on earth did Seattle beat New Orleans??? Were they actually better? Possibly they were but realistically they weren't. So, just because you are good against certain people does not mean you are the best in all situations.

Are the Saints more upset at the playoff system for costing them a victory, and booting them, or should they have just played better??
        SOY should be the the guy that has the most points at the end of the state shoot , Period.Otherwise it's just someone that had a good day.

Comment

Elkaholic you are not entirely correct sir. Lets say a shooter from Oklahoma or Arkansas shoots one TX qualifier and comes back for state. Realistically he/she could win the buckle by shooting twice here. And how would that affect how any other SOY eligible shooter does for the day??

The above scenario has happened in different classes for the last 2 years. Out of state shooters win the championship, and shooters that have earned the right to compete for SOY by showing a level of dedication to the game can still win a buckle for SOY.

Comment

Gotta be top of the class to even be eligible for SOY Brett. There is your most points. And if an East region shooter is 300+ points ahead of a South region shooter why would either guy even show up? Where is his reward for qualifying by attending the same number of shoots as anyone else?
            Last edited by bowhuntntxn; 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Elkaholic you are not entirely correct sir. Lets say a shooter from Oklahoma or Arkansas shoots one TX qualifier and comes back for state. Realistically he/she could win the buckle by shooting twice here. And how would that affect how any other SOY eligible shooter does for the day??

The above scenario has happened in different classes for the last 2 years. Out of state shooters win the championship, and shooters that have earned the right to compete for SOY by showing a level of dedication to the game can still win a buckle for SOY.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinpool View Post
                Brett, it was my understanding that each region SOY winner would get a plaque for SOY of that region. The buckle would be given to the winner at state.
                Perhaps...

The regional Shooter of the Year should get the Buckle, and the "Shooter of the Day" should get a plaque.

food for thought

Comment

that would work if each region paid for their own buckles. then the buckle owners could have a bumping contest at state just for fun!

Comment

You can win SOY buckle but end up 4th from last at state . As long as you win your group. There will be an EXCITEMENT uncompared for those that are in a SOY group. The group winner is the WINNER. I used to shoot in a group with some buddies and that was the case. The adreniline dump was incredible. At one shoot the lead changed on 27 different targets and was decided on the last shot. That was the best shoot I ever attended. SOY shooters have always been grouped together at state if possible but many were decided by the first shot of the Tournament because of the demand to make so many shoots. This year 20+ classes will be decided on Sunday. That is an exciting and pressure conclusion to a year of archery. I just hope I can make the show!

Comment

Gotta be top of the class to even be eligible for SOY Brett. There is your most points. And if an East region shooter is 300+ points ahead of a South region shooter why would either guy even show up? Where is his reward for qualifying by attending the same number of shoots as anyone else?
                      If he is beaten by 300 he dont deserve a chance to just show up and have a good day and win. He has been beaten throughout the year. Hence ( SHOOTER OF THE YEAR )

Comment

Exactly ,he should'nt even be in the running,The better shooter should win that SOY.He can still compete for the "state championship"

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
                          Perhaps...

The regional Shooter of the Year should get the Buckle, and the "Shooter of the Day" should get a plaque.

food for thought
                          BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER

Comment

Originally posted by CutTheLoop View Post
                            Perhaps...

food for thought
                            Right on dude.

Comment

Well, I can see everyone's view point. I say this- I think it will be a great year as always. Rules change to try and improve the sport and more importantly, draw in new shooters. If we try a new rule or format and it doesn't work, then we can change it again. I liked the old SOY format but to encourage more people to compete in it, more local shoots had to be added. To make the state a more level playing field with regions, you have to zero everyone out.
                              Let's say I only compete in the East Region. My scores are phenomenal- like 20 up. Not because I am a great shooter (yeah right) but b/c the courses in East Texas are so much easier than anywhere else. Then lets say Suzy wins all her classes in the West region but never scores higher than a 280, but it's b/c the courses out there are very tough. Should she be penalized for shooting tougher courses? Under the old format she would be because she would be 40 points behind me for every shoot. I would be leading it by so much, she could win state and I place dead last and still win SOY. That is the problem with the old system. Let's try this new one. We can change it if it doesn't work. Only the ten commandments are written in stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                                Well, I can see everyone's view point. I say this- I think it will be a great year as always. Rules change to try and improve the sport and more importantly, draw in new shooters. If we try a new rule or format and it doesn't work, then we can change it again. I liked the old SOY format but to encourage more people to compete in it, more local shoots had to be added. To make the state a more level playing field with regions, you have to zero everyone out.
                                Let's say I only compete in the East Region. My scores are phenomenal- like 20 up. Not because I am a great shooter (yeah right) but b/c the courses in East Texas are so much easier than anywhere else. Then lets say Suzy wins all her classes in the West region but never scores higher than a 280, but it's b/c the courses out there are very tough. Should she be penalized for shooting tougher courses? Under the old format she would be because she would be 40 points behind me for every shoot. I would be leading it by so much, she could win state and I place dead last and still win SOY. That is the problem with the old system. Let's try this new one. We can change it if it doesn't work. Only the ten commandments are written in stone.
                                Maybe not, but who's stopping her from maybe beating some pavement, hitting some more shoots? Pick up some points...how bad does she really want to compete for SOY?

Clifton last year is a good example.. Turns out Clifton was a blustery hell, I turned in a horrible number... guess what, knowing I was wanted to compete for SOY, I later made the drive all the way to Paris and Tyler in hopes to erase that Clifton shoot... turns out, I did just that.
                                Last edited by Let's go Brandon!; 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X