The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
    How difficult was it for everyone to acclimate to the different altitudes? Do I need to take it easy for the first couple of days? I was thinking about using something called Altitude Advantage from Wilderness Athlete and drinking plenty of water and electrolytes. Still getting in shape, but you never know how you will react to such an extreme elevation change.
    Ideally you spend a few days at gradually increasing altitudes but that is almost never an option for us Eastern guys. It's gonna take you about 3 days to "Get Your Wind" at 10,000+ ft. Every once in a while, someone will have a serious reaction but most will be OK if you just take it easy the first few days. I can tell you that I have hunted CO at 10k-11k ft and it is much harder than the 9K ft I hunt in WY.

I've never tried any supplements but there are some really experienced guys that do. If I had a hunt that included a lot 11K+ I would consider using some supplements. Otherwise water and Advil should get you through.

Comment

Got a question for those who are hiking with weights. I received an email from one of the guys at Elkhunter Magazine. He told me that rather than hiking with super heavy weight (60+ lbs) to hike with 40-50 and cover some distance. Which do you think would be more productive? I can hike with 50 lbs for at least 6-7 miles right now with very little difficulty, so I bumped it up to 75lbs of weight (not counting the pack) for 6 miles the other day. Hurt like hell, but I did it. I have a bad habit of not using anything on the hike to replace electrolytes or give me a little energy boost. I will be starting this tomorrow. Instead of the 75lbs for 6 miles, maybe I should do 50 lbs for 8-10 miles. I may be going into overkill here, but I want to be as prepared as possible. Still working on the diet changes to continue dropping the weight. I have a goal of another 40 lbs before September. Thought, suggestions?

Comment

Got a question for those who are hiking with weights. I received an email from one of the guys at Elkhunter Magazine. He told me that rather than hiking with super heavy weight (60+ lbs) to hike with 40-50 and cover some distance. Which do you think would be more productive? I can hike with 50 lbs for at least 6-7 miles right now with very little difficulty, so I bumped it up to 75lbs of weight (not counting the pack) for 6 miles the other day. Hurt like hell, but I did it. I have a bad habit of not using anything on the hike to replace electrolytes or give me a little energy boost. I will be starting this tomorrow. Instead of the 75lbs for 6 miles, maybe I should do 50 lbs for 8-10 miles. I may be going into overkill here, but I want to be as prepared as possible. Still working on the diet changes to continue dropping the weight. I have a goal of another 40 lbs before September. Thought, suggestions?
        NO matter what you do air will be hard to come by at times. You can't prepare for the elevation in TX. Work hard and give it an honest effort and you will be fine.

Comment

I have a bad habit of not using anything on the hike to replace electrolytes or give me a little energy boost. I will be starting this tomorrow. Instead of the 75lbs for 6 miles, maybe I should do 50 lbs for 8-10 miles. I may be going into overkill here, but I want to be as prepared as possible. Still working on the diet changes to continue dropping the weight. I have a goal of another 40 lbs before September. Thought, suggestions?

I like to carry several packets of this:
          Discover effective energy supplements & nutrition for athletes designed for energy, hydration and recovery. Fuel your performance with GU Energy Labs. Shop now!

I also take a few packets of this:
          Transform your day with Emergen-C products! With a variety of flavors, special formulas and forms, Emergen-C products make it easy to support your wellness goals.

And some of these or similar:

None of these products will take up much space.

I think it is very important to maintain hydration during your hike. Plus get in the habit of eating light several times a day. 6-8 small meals. You can eat while hiking to get in the habit.

As for diet I would start at least 60-90 days before the hunt eating smaller lean protien meals troughout the day. As you progress add in some complex carbs. Avoid sodas, sweets, booze and tobbaco.

Comment

I got drawn for an alaska elk tag anyone want to come

Comment

Here is some new info for those with altitude sickness problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                Here is some new info for those with altitude sickness problems.

Had altitude sickness two years in a row and started taking Diamox a few days before the hunt and the first few days there and haven't had a problem since.
                It makes anything carbonated taste like crap, but the only time that matters is when I'm coming out of the mountains and hit a burger place for a meal for the ride home.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions on the energy products to use. As for the Diamox, where do you get that and are there any weird side effects? I don't take medicine very often, so I always get kind of nervous when taking something new. I mean a half of a Benadryl will knock me out for a day. If it is stronger than Advil, I get loopy. Don't know what the deal is. Thanks to everyone for the help. I need the energy on these hikes.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
                    Had altitude sickness two years in a row and started taking Diamox a few days before the hunt and the first few days there and haven't had a problem since.
                    It makes anything carbonated taste like crap, but the only time that matters is when I'm coming out of the mountains and hit a burger place for a meal for the ride home.
                    3d,

How high were you hunting when you got sick? Can you correlate a certain elevation where your symptoms got worse?

Comment

Anybody not checking in over on Rokslide. This is a very good thread from some real experienced guys on things you don't need on those backpack hunts.

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showt...k-hunt-anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
                        3d,

How high were you hunting when you got sick? Can you correlate a certain elevation where your symptoms got worse?
                        It seemed that 10,500 feet and above is where I had the most problems, when I would get over 12,000 it would hit hard.

The diamox is by prescription only, butt I've heard good things about wilderness athlete altitude advantage as well.

The only side effect I noticed was the taste with carbonated drinks.

Comment

New Mexico applications due tomorrow. I'm in for units 16A & 17. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Comment

Been invited on a Colorado Elk hunt in September.....got some training to do....

Comment

Anyone put in for Arizona? Heard that a good buddy drew a tag in his first try.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlwind View Post
                                Anyone put in for Arizona? Heard that a good buddy drew a tag in his first try.
                                Good for him! It's tough to draw a tag out there- I hope he gets a monster!

Comment

Working...
                                X