No announcement yet.

Oak ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swamp chestnut oak (old timers call it a "Cow Oak")

Comment

Originally posted by mclipp View Post
      Chinkapin oak is what I say.
      I’m with you based on bark and leaf.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Milty View Post
        That sir is definitely a Swamp Chestnut............One of the most sought after acorns by deer. Guard that thing with your life!

I have around 50 on my property and will be transplanting some up to my Dad's place. They are awesome

Do yours produce every year? I found about 15-20 of them today, not a single acorn. Wondering if it's an off year, or if they've already hit the ground. Ground wasn't very disturbed under them and just a few small "hulls". Think the hulls were from the water oaks that they were scattered in.

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        It’s definitely not a burr oak, their acorns are almost the size of a golf ball when the cap is intact and the leaves are shaped differently
        Bur oak acorns are huge. Pic of one from my tree in the yard.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle_Milty View Post
          That sir is definitely a Swamp Chestnut............One of the most sought after acorns by deer. Guard that thing with your life!

I have around 50 on my property and will be transplanting some up to my Dad's place. They are awesome
          There are small “groves” all over. Most of the trees are huge. When you find one tree, there will be 2 or 3 more real close by. Hard to figure out which grove to hunt over.

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
          Do yours produce every year? I found about 15-20 of them today, not a single acorn. Wondering if it's an off year, or if they've already hit the ground. Ground wasn't very disturbed under them and just a few small "hulls". Think the hulls were from the water oaks that they were scattered in.

Bur oak acorns are huge. Pic of one from my tree in the yard.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
          Over the years, I noticed they don’t produce every year. I guess the conditions has to be right. I’ve seen them loaded year after year, then the next, nothing. Sometimes they have acorns but not a lot. Like this year, one tree will have some and the tree 30 yards away, can’t find a one.

Comment

We call them cow oaks. It’s in the white oak family. Our deer prefer these these acorns over all the others.
            Last edited by Gerald G; 10-03-2022, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X