No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only my cantaloupe are producing and there’s only one left to ripen. One watermelon got about the size of a softball and then got a big yellow spot on it. Doesn’t seem to be getting any bigger.

Comment

That pink eye may be what we got, instead of pinky. Sure does look like a healthier version of ours. I misunderstood mom, or she misspoke, when we planted the peas. She said they liked hot and dry, so I didn't water them much. She meant they could tolerate it better, but I'm not sure that's very accurate either. Hopefully I'll get my drip system this weekend and get it installed. May look into the drip tape next year, if this works out.

Comment

Got some beans planted and staked. Not sure if the two tomato cages on top of each other with butcher twine will work but we will see.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          Got some beans planted and staked. Not sure if the two tomato cages on top of each other with butcher twine will work but we will see.

You better get some shade......it's about to get hot

Comment

hey guys, what some thing e z to grow in the fall? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
              hey guys, what some thing e z to grow in the fall? thanks
              Couldn't tell you what is easy but I started going off this site this month. Just plug in your zone and month and it tells you what to get in the dirt now and what to prep for next month.

Keep your kitchen garden growing with vegetables and herbs to plant at every time of the year

Comment

Finally starting to get some fall stuff going just put in 60 plus tomato plants this evening.

Comment

Chris, you put plants in the ground or starting in trays? I've been thinking about starting some. I have one of my plots tilled and plan to add some mushroom compost and cover it until first of September, then get some beans n peas, n other stuff going in it... May try maters since mine this Spring didn't do squat and I need some canned for cooking...

Comment

My plants really seem to be responding well to the shade cloth I put up a few weeks ago. Cukes are still rolling, my pepper plants under the cloth have almost tripled in size, and I picked my first tomatoes of the summer this week. Okra is outside the cloth and doing what okra does.

Putting up a couple pints of okra per week. Iā€™m about pickled out, so I tried something new and made some sweet relish with my last group of cukes.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      You better get some shade......it's about to get hot
                      Yeah I took "full sun" quite literally lol.

Comment

Yeah I took "full sun" quite literally lol.
                        I don't think folks understand how hot Texas is......

Comment

My purple hulls just turned back on outta know where and are filling back up this week. Thanks for the advise guys...was close to yanking and replanting.

Comment

Don't call it a comeback.

Reminder, this is my 2nd year of attempting any sort of gardening. Year 1 was Okra and basil, and it was fun. This year I am hooked, but I still have a ton of room left for growth.

Planted 3 tomato plants. One never really produced much. Another produced a bunch of cherry tomatoes, which were eaten by birds, and the 3rd was a purple cherokee that completely changed my views on tomatoes. I used to hate them and only liked them on hamburgers. Not anymore. I only got 2 purple cherokees due to a possum eating them before I could get to them, but they were amazing!

It started to die though right after I discovered my watermelons weren't watermelons. That story cracks everyone up BTW. Well I started down the rabbit hole of what makes tomato plants die and discovered that they don't need much water and also they are very susceptible to disease if water gets on the leaves. So, it was not dying, I was killing it! I stopped watering the entire plant (daily) and pulled the other two, but left the purple cherokee.

Lo and behold, it is coming back to life. The pic shows you the blight line and where it is starting new growth. Not sure if it will produce, but neat just to have in the garden.

Speaking of my newfound joy for tomatoes, Charlie posted pictures of some containers with lids that promote a humid environment. I bought some off Amazon and got some potting soil from Calloways. I did 2 sets of 3 seeds of each variety of tomato I have in those containers and when I saw a bit of a plateau in growth moved them to red solo cups. They started taking off again and I am hoping to get them in the ground in 2 weeks. Maybe I can get some tomatoes for the fall.

Last - got kale and multiple varieties of lettuce in the ground as well as Swiss chard, cauliflower and broccoli in those containers. Hoping to plant when it is cooler.

Anyway, I have talked enough here. Happy gardening folks!

Comment

While we are at it. Anyone know of why my bell peppers off one plant won't get any bigger than a marble?

Comment

While we are at it. Anyone know of why my bell peppers off one plant won't get any bigger than a marble?

Prolly the same reason my jalapeƱos get no bigger than strawberries.

When you find out, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X