Big Boy steam engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Boy steam engine

UPRR's Big Boy is coming to Texas. If you get a a chance go see it up close.
    You really need to see it in motion and up close at a stop.

Union Pacific's famed Big Boy No. 4014, the world's largest operating steam locomotive, will return to the rails this summer with a scenic tour across mountain ranges and high desert vistas in four western states: Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and California.
    Attached Files

Thanks I missed it when it came through 2 years ago. Not this time!

Comment

That thing is a beast.

Comment

I was hoping it would come through Round Rock on to Taylor and to Hearne from there. I will find a place to go watch.

Comment

The link shows the times of arrival and departure at each stop.
          They should be pretty much on time unless they have a mechanical issue.
          On it's break in run it did jump the tracks in Rawlins , Wy and was late for the rest of the days stops.

Smaller towns usually let you get closer to it, we could walk right up beside it at smaller crossings.

Here's a pretty cool video of it's trip from Limon to Denver in '19.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJufJDoahpE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJufJDoahpE[/ame]

Comment

Amazing, need to try to see this RR history, thanks.

Comment

Holy ****, that's cool! That gives new meaning to the term, "Rolling Coal".

Comment

It’s going to come by 1 block from my backyard. I will be watching

Comment

Throw some coins on the track, they can be hard to find after though.

Comment

Man I wish there was a stop between Hearn and Houston. I hate the idea of dealing with Houston idiots to get to view it!

Comment

Wait a minute... is that a diesel engine pushing it??

I plan to go see it this time! I love trains! And my neighbor works for the RR as an engineer, hopefully for UP and he can get me closer to it.
                      Last edited by Dusty Britches; 08-04-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I would think the diesel engine is probably for a mechanical issue with the steam engine. If the steam engine breaks down they can get it off the main line.

Comment

I was thinking diesel engine just for electricity generation. I imagine model trains require electrics for trackers and whatnot. But I could be completely wrong.

Very cool, put a note on my calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
                            I would think the diesel engine is probably for a mechanical issue with the steam engine. If the steam engine breaks down they can get it off the main line.
                            This part of it. Here's a pretty good explanation :

The diesel isn’t there to help the steam locomotive, but it’s there as a precaution mainly. Part of its purpose is to help in the case of a mechanical issue with the steam engine (a broken down steam engine on a mainline is a bad deal for both safety and business). In some cases (especially with large consists behind the 844) it’s been known to help with initial acceleration. It’s also used in circumstances for dynamic braking (putting a load on the locomotive when there aren’t many cars). It is also used to generate air pressure. The passenger consists have generator cars, so it’s not for electrical power purposes.

TLDR: ‘Helper’ is probably a somewhat inaccurate term. Think of it as a ‘support engine’

4014 also runs on oil now instead of coal.

Comment

Thanks. We’re going to see this beast when it’s in Ft. Worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X