Contaminated diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
    I was told years ago to always fill up at a station that sells a lot of diesel. Lots of places have diesel that doesn't sale much volume. Just what I was told.
    This is what I went by with my diesel when I had one and what I go by now for gasoline too.

Seems like everything past fuel filter is unnecessary as the filter should catch anything that made it that far

If it was me I would blow out fuel line, clean tank and change fuel pump

But I am no mechanic either

Comment

I had to do everything on your list except replace the tank 2 years ago. Price was about $2,200 from a recommended diesel shop in Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        That makes more sense after reading the notes. Run those part numbers on google though, they're overcharging by 2-3x for the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
          Can someone recommend a respectable diesel shop in Houston. I want to get my 6.0 I just bought serviced and need someone I can trust.
          Powerstroke Magic

Comment

Never hurts to attempt an insurance claim. Seen insurance pickup repairs when people put DEF fluid or gas in the tank. The rust had to come from your fueling source. I'd advice if you are using a holding tank or transfer tank to check it for contamination. Do you have an idea where the fuel came from? Station you typically don't use?

$2800 seems fair. I would not reuse the fuel lines, tank, pump, or even filter housing. Impossible to clean them 100% or know if you have or not. You may get by 100times and 1 time it won't. If luck like mine you'll be the one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Smith View Post
              Gm has had issues but they’ll never admit it.
              Actually they spend millions researching repairs, fixes and do what it takes to eradicate issues. At the end of the day they are still man made. EVERY car manufacturer has its known issues, and the ALL break down.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                Powerstroke Magic
                Right around the corner thank you!

Comment

$150.00 for the fuel filter!!!!!!! They are $50.00 for a/c delco at any parts house… Sounds like they’re trying to make a fortune off of you

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    Actually they spend millions researching repairs, fixes and do what it takes to eradicate issues. At the end of the day they are still man made. EVERY car manufacturer has its known issues, and the ALL break down.
                    They spend millions trying to figure out how to not pay for warranty work.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                      Right around the corner thank you!
                      Used to take my 6.0 there. They definitely know what they're doing.

Comment

They spend millions trying to figure out how to not pay for warranty work.
                        We will have to disagree on this. Matter of fact they cover items outside of warranty all the time. Goodwill repairs etc. Literally they have no angle to not cover something. I've seen them cover blatant abuse, neglect, you name it.

Comment

We will have to disagree on this. Matter of fact they cover items outside of warranty all the time. Goodwill repairs etc. Literally they have no angle to not cover something. I've seen them cover blatant abuse, neglect, you name it.
                          David McDavid wouldn’t do anything, they claimed fuel contamination, the truck was at 90,000 the warranty was 100,000 it’s a excuse for their fuel pump degrading.

Comment

David McDavid wouldn’t do anything, they claimed fuel contamination, the truck was at 90,000 the warranty was 100,000 it’s a excuse for their fuel pump degrading.
                            I’ll continue driving a Ford diesel.

Comment

I had a 2006 Chevy Colorado. It had an oil leak that reared it’s ugly head when the truck had around 25,000 miles on it. They replaced the head gasket. Came back a couple thousand miles later with it still leaking so they replaced the cylinder head, and put a new head gasket on it. Came back a couple thousand more miles with it still leaking. They replaced the head gasket yet again with a new, updated head gasket. Right at 36,000 miles I brought it back again with oil still leaking. Took it back and the tech told me they found the block was porous so they requested permission to change the block. GM denied the repair and instructed the tech to install yet another head gasket(the same part number that had already been installed as an updated one). I went up the food chain and kept getting told no. That was the last GM product that I will ever have.

Comment

Originally posted by perryr View Post
                                Get a second opinion

Definitely.

There is about zero chance, the fuel lines need to be replaced, on a 2019. Diesel is very good a preventing rust. I would bet a good bit of money the tank does not need to be replaced either. Just clean out the tank, blow out the lines, and put a new fuel filter on it. There should not be anything down stream of the fuel filter.

Comment

Working...
                                X