Saddle hunting question…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    I’ve watched and done it…. I’m not hunting the same animal they are…. It will 100% get you up a tree and down. It will NOT get you within 50-70 yards of bedded deer I have at least 1 if not more hunts a year where deer are at shooting range before I’m set up… and I’m from ground to ready to kill in well under 5 minutes. Climb up… slide down grab a stick, stand up. Great if it works for you… it will not for me. Repelling is fast way down… with another 8 pounds of rope and more gear.

If it fits your style, stay with it…. It will not work for me
    I want to make sure I am reading your post correctly.. Are you saying it won't allow you to get within 50-70 yards of bedded deer? Did I read that right?

Getting that close to bedded deer is a totally different conversation. You can do that with almost any climbing method depending on how quiet you are. Like another person has already stated. "IF" your making that much noise, your absolutely doing it wrong.

Comment

I use hawk helium sticks when I’m not one sticking in my hawk saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Saddle hunting question…

Done several test runs and configurations. The dreaded hawk minis pack best and are 2 pounds (almost) lighter. I had to go meet a dump truck so I’ll measure later. Judging by bow rope I’m 18’ to platform with a moderate climb. I’ll test some more methods and if minis will continue to get 18-20’ I’ll probably go xop 20” sticks.

One stick would run every deer out of the woods I hunt

With a regular stick, I’d agree with you on the one-stick issue. But, an acquaintance of mine tried the method “Staggs in the wild” posted on YouTube and said it was easy as could be. I haven’t put a stick together for it yet, because none of the properties I typically hunt have any issue with my Treehopper bolts so long as I don’t leave them in. But, if I knew I had a hunt coming up in a place I couldn’t use the bolts (and wanted to go super deep) I would probably rig one out and give it a good try.

Comment

After hearing him become orgasmic over first stick at 6.5’ I thought “heck mines higher than that, just a standard stick… hung one like I always do the bottom 80”!!!

Ain’t finished video, but that’s far too much movement and I’m still more efficient…. I’m just hauling far more weight. If it works and is proven to kill mature deer and not just climb a tree then that’s awesome!!! I don’t see it being an option FOR ME.

back to original post: got a friend with another platform and pouch we will combine our components and see if we find a perfect balance. Love to be as streamlined as possible and under 13 pounds for under $900 WITHOUT a bunch of nonsense it I won’t need

Comment

… (double post)
            Last edited by Low Fence; 06-04-2022, 04:27 PM.

Comment

What’s the report after a full year of using a saddle?

Comment

Been meaning to recap and hear reviews

Quick answer for now, is it’s an absolutely superior way of hunting for my style of hunting. I’m not gonna sell my lone wolf stand yet…. But don’t see me hunting from anything else …. It’s that much better!

Comment

I have a set of Muddy Pro climbing sticks. I modified one stick by adding a "Light Platform" from Eastern Woods Outdoors in place of the top step. I also replaced the lower step and bracket with parts from EWO. This give me the option of "one sticking" or using all the sticks and having the small platform at top. I would share a picture but afraid of busting my arse walking on ice to my storage.

Comment

Been meaning to recap and hear reviews

Quick answer for now, is it’s an absolutely superior way of hunting for my style of hunting. I’m not gonna sell my lone wolf stand yet…. But don’t see me hunting from anything else …. It’s that much better!

Thanks I’m looking forward to a full recap. This was my first year with an old lone wolf moving around and I enjoyed it.

Comment

Saddle hunting has definitely changed my hunting style. Instead of hunting from 4 or 5 preset or reset lock ons I have hunted from a lot of different trees in a lot of different places that I had never hunted before. This past season was my third season. In 2020 I hunted out of 15 different trees. In 2021 I hunted out of 18 different trees. This past season I hunted out of 11 different trees.

I still use my lock ons also. On some sits I use my saddle gear on the lock on platform.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrow smith, what’s that case your rangefinder is in called????

Comment

Arrow smith, what’s that case your rangefinder is in called????
                          That is an older Nikon Archer's Choice rangefinder. The camo neoprene case came with it. I also have a Nikon retrievable lanyard that I connect to my bino harness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Im gonna try something in the off season. I have 2 Lone Wolf climbers. 2 different sizes. Im gonna use the bottom to climb pine tree and use my saddle as the top part of the climber. The bottom weighs 8-9 lbs I think. The reason is I am giving up a lot of realestate in the form of pines, that has a lot of buck movement. Gonna practice with it, if I like it, its on!

Comment

What are some of these good saddle companies that are not $800 for an entire setup? Or is it possible to go any cheaper? I know you probably should not be a cheap *** when it comes to the only ropes keeping you from back flipping out of the tree. Curious to hear y'alls input

Comment

If you don’t have any components you won’t get a quality MOBILE set up under $800. If you try you will spend even more replacing stuff quickly.

Im using a mixture of cruzer and tethered products as well as customized stuff from years of climbing

It ain’t a cheap option by any means
                                Last edited by Low Fence; 02-10-2023, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X