No announcement yet.

Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitetail movement was not good this past weekend at my place, shockingly slow. Did see quite a few sika though.

Comment

Originally posted by afishinman14 View Post

Got it done Tuesday 11/6.

7.5 year old we’ve been chasing for 2 years. He lost 8”-10” of antlers from last year.

Shot 5 bucks in the last 2 weeks. And 2 does. Also 4 hogs. That’s with them blowing dynamite on our place to get ready for the pipeline.

Not messing with the deer as much as I thought. Which is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Dang, I wish I had something that nice on our place.

Comment

it didn't really start picking up last year until after the 15th

Comment

Got it done Tuesday 11/6.

7.5 year old we’ve been chasing for 2 years. He lost 8”-10” of antlers from last year.

Shot 5 bucks in the last 2 weeks. And 2 does. Also 4 hogs. That’s with them blowing dynamite on our place to get ready for the pipeline.

Not messing with the deer as much as I thought. Which is good.

Man.. that's a great buck! Congratulations! I love seeing old bucks like that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome buck! That’s a great deer and very fun to have history with them.

I went out the weekend of the 27th and did some stalking around. I saw one of my target bucks come out of the fog at 80 yards, seemed like it was out of a movie. I wasn’t able to make a move on him however. I shot my biggest pig walking back to camp that night, had no light and found him the next morning.

The next morning I called in a giant Sika buck with an elk diaphragm after watching him feed for 20 minutes. Had a bull elk respond while the sika is charging in. Ended up calling the elk in as well, one I know as Whales Tail, but he had broken his entire beam off so I decided to pass. Got a lot of it on video including the Sika charging in.

Screenshot of him literally running in to my calls.

Whales Tail with a broken beam
            Last edited by Patton; 11-07-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Love this thread

Comment

Patton- did you just pull the cutters out with pliers?

Comment

Patton. Sounds like a eventful weekend !! To bad that Elk was broke ...think. It was a bigger one that did it? Love that you called that Sika in..cool experiance

Comment

I hunt 10 mile south of the Garvin store on 83, any reports on movement ? They bird dogging yet ? We had the smaller ones pushing, but the does ain’t having it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Got em View Post
                      Patton- did you just pull the cutters out with pliers?
                      I’d love to know as well

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                        Dang, I wish I had something that nice on our place.

We hunt 3200 acres with 10 of us. Low fence. This is year 3 of implementing protein in the offseasons. No one has fed it before our group. These antlers are about as good as we’ve seen. We had a 10 that was a little bigger last year. Haven’t really seen a jump in antlers yet, but we’ve been tracking body weights, and they’ve been slowly increasing over the years. So I think antlers are soon to follow, as the bucks that have had protein their whole lives start to mature.

This buck went about 120”. He was closer to 130” last year when he was 6.5 years old. We’re not expecting protein to work miracles. But if we can start seeing more mature trophies in the 125” range instead of 110”-115” range we’ll be happy.

PATTON:

What a heck of a hunt man!! Holy cow! One thing our place doesn’t have is a lot of exotics. Feel like we’re the only ones in Edwards County that don’t see them very often. Wish I could hear some sika and elk like that. That’s awesome!

Comment

I’ll add that most bucks aren’t chasing yet. Have seen some fighting pretty good. But I see most fighting taking place pre-rut. Not during the actual breeding. Pre-rut is when they are jockeying to establish dominance. Bucks are taking inventory of does. Interested in seeing who is who. But no heads lowered and chasing yet. Have some bucks who are following does just waiting on them to come in to heat.

I had 6 bucks in the feed pen when I shot this one. And my dad shot his 9pt with two little bucks beside him.

Comment

Edwards

I’ll add that most bucks aren’t chasing yet. Have seen some fighting pretty good. But I see most fighting taking place pre-rut. Not during the actual breeding. Pre-rut is when they are jockeying to establish dominance. Bucks are taking inventory of does. Interested in seeing who is who. But no heads lowered and chasing yet. Have some bucks who are following does just waiting on them to come in to heat.

I had 6 bucks in the feed pen when I shot this one. And my dad shot his 9pt with two little bucks beside him.

No pics Sir? [/I]

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDownSouth View Post
                              No pics Sir? [/I]

Pics of what? The buck I shot is posted above (post #419) [emoji115][emoji115][emoji115]

Here’s my dads buck though.
                              4.5yr old - 140lb live - 9pt - 109+”

Comment

We are in the hills of north Kinney County on the Nueces almost to Camp Wood. We saw quite a few whitetail and axis this past weekend. Deer are moving and hungry even though it looks like spring out there. One of our guys killed a nice chocolate fallow. Fallow have been seen there but this is the first that was killed on the place.
                                Last edited by Txhuntr2; 11-08-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X