Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #1
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County
Default Opinions on Shallow Sport 24 Foot

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2010 Shallow Sport 24í with a 200 Etech HO. Looking for opinions from anyone with experience with this boat. How does it handle choppy conditions, quality of hull or any other input. Motor has very low hours and I have several videos of it running last week. Seriously considering pulling the trigger.
Attached Images

Sackett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
TKRanch
Ten Point

No experience in that boat but looks nice!!!
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2022, 09:54 PM   #3
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I'd be more concerned with the e tech than the hull

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 01:39 AM   #4
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

It is a good hull. It won’t handle chop well.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 03:55 AM   #5
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Looks like the sport model? Don't think they do very well in the chop, but run extremely shallow. Shallow sport makes a top of the line boat. Don't think I'd be overly excited about the e-tech

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #6
3rdCoastHunter
Ten Point

Once a boat hits a decade the move is to offload it into someone who loves projects lol
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #7
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Great boat... ugh on the motor. Remember when buying a boat you're not buying the boat, you're buying the motor.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #8
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
Once a boat hits a decade the move is to offload it into someone who loves projects lol
Not hardly true anymore. Was definitely true years ago. Most builders have been building "lifetime" boats for 15+ years now. The motor is what you need to watch for now days.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 11:51 AM   #9
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastHunter View Post
You must have had terrible luck with used boats or donít know what your looking for.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #10
TKC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

I am no help but that thing is sexy. Also, if and when you buy it, I’m open to tag along on a fishing trip, gas and beer on me? Lol
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 04:22 PM   #11
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

My buddy has one very similar. We took it to Venice and fished 6 full days, it did fantastic. But, they are not designed for a lot of chop/waves.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #12
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
You must have had terrible luck with used boats or donít know what your looking for.
I'm convinced he owned 3 or 4 Larson/kenners with force-e- tecs

Old 05-29-2022, 06:46 AM   #13
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I'm convinced he owned 3 or 4 Larson/kenners with force-e- tecs

Those force engines are done fine outboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 11:18 AM   #14
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

One look at all the trim tabs/gadgetry on the boat and motor tells me right quick that it is a porpoising son of a gun and did not handle big water at all. Go for a 20 mile ride and then see what you think.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 11:30 AM   #15
Walker
Pope & Young

Why would you say it's a porpoising son of a gun. Motor trim can control that. The trim tabs help it get up in the shallows and run skinny.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 11:30 AM   #16
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty County

Shallow Sports are known for running skinny, not so much in chop.

Outside of living in deep S Texas and the lower Laguna, I never saw the need for one. I am sure other might disagree.

I lived in Corpus for a decade and ran in one for a while. Honestly, didn’t even need it there either.

Also, they are known for getting soft decks if stored outside and not covered/protected.
Greenheadless is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-29-2022, 12:45 PM   #17
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas,Idaho and Utah

We have been running 24 Classics for a long time. Itís the same hull as the sport. The 24 does much better in chop than the 21 or 18. I have never been in a Shallowsport that would porpoise. Those tabs just aid in shallow water hole shot. That boat looks considerably heavier than what we run but it should be a solid hull. If you want to get shallow you have to sacrifice some rough water capability. The 24 is the best at handling both in my opinion. Port Mansfield is full of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 05:51 PM   #18
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of the hull, if that is a hull that will do what you need. I would be concerned with the motor.

Ride is subjective. It's going to be a rough ride on my scale but if you are comparing it to other shallow water boats it's probably no worse than the others in it's class and probably better than a bunch of them.
Capt Glenn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 05:57 PM   #19
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

Buddy had a 21’ shallow sport.

Would run in incredibly skinny water but rode like a piece of plywood. Took it from Bird Island to Baffin one day and swore my kidneys bled.

I don’t saltwater fish much anymore but ever found a situation where I had to run super shallow, a boat with a little bit deeper V like a Blaser bay or a pathfinder will be much more comfortable and still get you anywhere you need to go.
txtrophy85 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 06:01 PM   #20
IvoryRoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
One look at all the trim tabs/gadgetry on the boat and motor tells me right quick that it is a porpoising son of a gun and did not handle big water at all. Go for a 20 mile ride and then see what you think.
I doubt you have you ever been in a Shallow Sport 24. They are a shallow running boat and are not very smooth in a rough chop. Great boats though. Will most likely be my next boat.
IvoryRoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 06:04 PM   #21
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of the hull, if that is a hull that will do what you need. I would be concerned with the motor.

Ride is subjective. It's going to be a rough ride on my scale but if you are comparing it to other shallow water boats it's probably no worse than the others in it's class and probably better than a bunch of them.
This.......that E Tech is junk
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 06:09 PM   #22
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrophy85 View Post
Buddy had a 21í shallow sport.

Would run in incredibly skinny water but rode like a piece of plywood. Took it from Bird Island to Baffin one day and swore my kidneys bled.

I donít saltwater fish much anymore but ever found a situation where I had to run super shallow, a boat with a little bit deeper V like a Blaser bay or a pathfinder will be much more comfortable and still get you anywhere you need to go.
Your buddy should have run the east bank all the way down from Bird. Itís never that rough in 10 inches of water.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:10 PM   #23
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
Your buddy should have run the east bank all the way down from Bird. Itís never that rough in 10 inches of water.
Isnít that Burning?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 06:10 PM   #24
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
We have been running 24 Classics for a long time. Itís the same hull as the sport. The 24 does much better in chop than the 21 or 18. I have never been in a Shallowsport that would porpoise. Those tabs just aid in shallow water hole shot. That boat looks considerably heavier than what we run but it should be a solid hull. If you want to get shallow you have to sacrifice some rough water capability. The 24 is the best at handling both in my opinion. Port Mansfield is full of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is a man that knows what heís talking about
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #25
stickman
Pope & Young

Great Hull in calm to light chop. Don’t want to be in it when conditions get snotty. We called my buddy’s rig the crab crusher because it ran so dang skinny. Just my opinion, the hull seems to grab/dig quartering and cross chop pretty bad making it no fun to ride on or run when the wind picks up. Stay shallow and you’ll be really happy with that hull. The motor leaves something to be desired but, there are plenty out there you can buy parts from so that’s not such a big deal if you can work on your own outboard.
stickman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 06:38 PM   #26
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

Quote:

It really wasnít that rough in the channel that day eitherÖ

Worst we had it was we got caught in a storm in the Lydia Ann, northern blew in but the fishing was so good prior to the front we didnít leave until last minute.

That was a fun day.
txtrophy85 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 08:22 PM   #27
speck1
Ten Point

Wish I could post video on here of some rough water in the 24 Shallowsport. The boat really does remarkably well. You just have to slow down and roll with it. We started out back in the day running 18 Shallowsport with Yamaha TRPís. They were too short in big water. The 24 is much better. I ran Pathfinders and Hewes for Maverick boat company in competition for years. My Hewes 21 was a great boat for tournament redfish but it wouldnít sniff the skinny water we fish in Mansfield. I agree with above on the Etec. Too many problems. You just have to consider how you fish the majority of the time. I fish Baffin a lot in the winter. Thatís not a good fit for a shallowsport. If you have to cross large open bays in the spring then the SS is probably not the best choice.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #28
speck1
Ten Point

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cc82Q...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #29
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Isnít that Burning?
Most guys refer to burning shorelines in relation to finding fish by sight. When the wind is howling the skinny water on the leeward shoreline is the only friend you have😁
Old 05-30-2022, 09:20 PM   #30
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Great hull, not great power, I wouldn’t be afraid of it if the price was right.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #31
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

I’ve got the same boat in 21’. It will run crazy shallow but isn’t a boat you want to run to rigs in. I’ll likely be in a 24’ in three years or so.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 10:26 PM   #32
Notaguide
Eight Point

Hunt In: Evant

Agree on "if priced right" knowing a repower could be in the future. Had a early Gen1 HO. Rated 200 but had more torque then the 60deg 200 with closer to 225-230hp based on the prop it would swing. The gear case was geared different also.

I just don't have much faith in a 10-12yr old Gen1 ran on the coast. Great hull if you know how to avoid rollers crossing a bay system. I've had a 18, 20, and now 24 classic with no issues getting where I need to be. The extra 3' over the 21 makes a huge difference.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2022, 11:13 PM   #33
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default Opinions on Shallow Sport 24 Foot

Thereís a reason evinrude went out of business. (Or the politically correct answer that the parent company bombardier choose to focus on other product lines).

Itís a good skinny water boat. Itís probably in the top 3 worst rising 24í boats in a chop. Thatís not what itís made for though.

If youíre looking for a shallow boat I would buy with the understanding it will need to be repowered soon.

Last edited by kyle1974; 05-30-2022 at 11:15 PM.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 06:20 AM   #34
Sackett
Pope & Young

Appreciate all the feedback gentlemen. With most of our fishing being done in the upper coast (East Marty up to East Bay and all areas in between), my back is telling me we need a hull with a slightly deeper v. Going to pass on this and look for another hull/motor. If anyone is interested in this one, heís asking $42k and the motor only has 210 hours on it. Been stored covered all its life and located in South Padre. I have multiple videos of it running couple weekends ago if anyone wants me to send them as well as more photos.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:44 AM   #35
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock

That's a great deal on that boat. For where you are fishing, you will likely appreciate something a little deeper. If you fished from POC and South, this boat is hard to beat.
They are rough, but the length really helps with the chop. They ride much drier than you would think.

The good news is if it is rough they run skinny enough to really hug the shore with little worry. I had lots of track lines that looked like they were on dry land when you look back at them from when the wind kicked up in my SCB. And the SS will go even skinnier. That's why its about all you see in Mansfield/SPI.
bowhntrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 08:40 AM   #36
Walker
Pope & Young

Might be a good price but if you have to repower just figure roughly $100 per horse.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:49 AM   #37
3rdCoastHunter
Ten Point

A lot of good info in this thread.
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #38
eastover53
Six Point

Hunt In: Kansas Mississippi Louisiana

No way I would pay $42,000 for any boat with a 2 stroke. That engine is 20 years old. Evinrude went out of business in 2003.

A brand new 4 stroke Mercury 200 is $20,000. I would rather have a 20 year old hull with a new engine, than a new hull with a 20 year old engine.
eastover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 10:01 AM   #39
Sackett
Pope & Young

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastover53 View Post
No way I would pay $42,000 for any boat with a 2 stroke. That engine is 20 years old. Evinrude went out of business in 2003.

A brand new 4 stroke Mercury 200 is $20,000. I would rather have a 20 year old hull with a new engine, than a new hull with a 20 year old engine.
The Etech was in production until 2020. Evinrude went under in 2003 but BRP bought them and operated until 2020. The motor on this boat is a 2013 or newer, I believe.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:06 AM   #40
Notaguide
Eight Point

Hunt In: Evant

A new similar rigged 24 sport will be in excess of $100k so $42k isn't out of line in todays market.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 10:08 AM   #41
eastover53
Six Point

Hunt In: Kansas Mississippi Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
The Etech was in production until 2020. Evinrude went under in 2003 but BRP bought them and operated until 2020. The motor on this boat is a 2013 or newer, I believe.
You are correct. I misspoke.
eastover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 10:31 AM   #42
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list

I have owned (2) 21í Shallow Sports
I still have my latest model.
Itís a 2000 hull and just this weekend People complimented on how nice it looked and couldnít believe it when I said itís 22 years old.

It depends on what bay complexes you intended to fish the majority of your time. Being designed for the Laguna Madre and shallow water, they do not handle heavy chop very well, but Iím sure a 24í would perform better than a 21í in heavier chop.

In big deep bays, like Baffin or Galveston bays, I would probably would not suggest that hull. But, use the boat as itís designed for and run shallow everywhere and you have the option for the smooth rides in shallow water, whereas many boats do not have that option. I run a lot at night early before sun rise to go floundering, I have to cross a bay with many areas that can be dangerous due to the shallow bars and shallow entrances and have never stuck mine to date. Keep it jacked up and trimmed up and itíll be fine unless you just find something less then 6Ēs in depth.

What I like about mine is the confidence and worry free ability to pretty much run anywhere and not run a ground. If water depth is above my wading boot, itíll run over it but donít shut down or slow down. Itíll get up in knee deep water. Learning how to operate these boats helps.
They do not steer the same as a v hull or tunnel v, so steering is a down side in my opinion.

I have been offshore in both of mine on the right days.

My boat is rigged almost identical to that boat
T- top
Raised console
Light bar
I-pilot
Power pole (1)
Wading ladder
Oxygen bottle
Sound system
LED DECK lights above and below

Shallow Sport makes a solid boat and the later models have much better finishes. They hold their resale value very well and are highly sought after.

Iíd give it a full lengthy inspection, a solid and long test run, and do a compression test on all cylinders prior. Get history from owner and find out why their selling and how many previous owners.

I will sell mine after I catch a tagged redfish!(maybe)

Mr. Public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 10:36 AM   #43
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Public View Post
I have owned (2) 21í Shallow Sports
I still have my latest model.
Itís a 2000 hull and just this weekend People complimented on how nice it looked and couldnít believe it when I said itís 22 years old.

It depends on what bay complexes you intended to fish the majority of your time. Being designed for the Laguna Madre and shallow water, they do not handle heavy chop very well, but Iím sure a 24í would perform better than a 21í in heavier chop.

In big deep bays, like Baffin or Galveston bays, I would probably would not suggest that hull. But, use the boat as itís designed for and run shallow everywhere and you have the option for the smooth rides in shallow water, whereas many boats do not have that option. I run a lot at night early before sun rise to go floundering, I have to cross a bay with many areas that can be dangerous due to the shallow bars and shallow entrances and have never stuck mine to date. Keep it jacked up and trimmed up and itíll be fine unless you just find something less then 6Ēs in depth.

What I like about mine is the confidence and worry free ability to pretty much run anywhere and not run a ground. If water depth is above my wading boot, itíll run over it but donít shut down or slow down. Itíll get up in knee deep water. Learning how to operate these boats helps.
They do not steer the same as a v hull or tunnel v, so steering is a down side in my opinion.

I have been offshore in both of mine on the right days.

My boat is rigged almost identical to that boat
T- top
Raised console
Light bar
I-pilot
Power pole (1)
Wading ladder
Oxygen bottle
Sound system
LED DECK lights above and below

Shallow Sport makes a solid boat and the later models have much better finishes. They hold their resale value very well and are highly sought after.

Iíd give it a full lengthy inspection, a solid and long test run, and do a compression test on all cylinders prior. Get history from owner and find out why their selling and how many previous owners.

I will sell mine after I catch a tagged redfish!(maybe)

Yep
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 10:44 AM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Those tabs aren't hydraulic or adjustable on the fly and the cav plate is to help run shallow. Basically none of that gadgetry would help solve an issue I doubt that boat has

Old 05-31-2022, 12:40 PM   #45
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Appreciate all the feedback gentlemen. With most of our fishing being done in the upper coast (East Marty up to East Bay and all areas in between), my back is telling me we need a hull with a slightly deeper v. Going to pass on this and look for another hull/motor. If anyone is interested in this one, he’s asking $42k and the motor only has 210 hours on it. Been stored covered all its life and located in South Padre. I have multiple videos of it running couple weekends ago if anyone wants me to send them as well as more photos.

If I were you, I'd book Capt. Glenn for a day's fishin' and go ride in HIS boat!! Best riding bay boat I've ever fished out of... And in a year or two, it'll be for sale probably 'cause he'll be gettin' another one!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 01:00 PM   #46
Walker
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
If I were you, I'd book Capt. Glenn for a day's fishin' and go ride in HIS boat!! Best riding bay boat I've ever fished out of... And in a year or two, it'll be for sale probably 'cause he'll be gettin' another one!!
What boat is Capt. Glenn running?
Old 05-31-2022, 01:05 PM   #47
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
What boat is Capt. Glenn running?
Here you go, from his web site...
https://www.glennsguideservice.com/the-boat

25' Haynie with a big ol' honkin' Merc!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-31-2022, 01:11 PM   #48
Walker
Pope & Young

I can only dream.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:43 PM   #49
npe001
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Tx

If you want to go shallow and stay out of any open water on rough days, I would say go for it.
npe001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #50
kenner27
Ten Point

Fantastic boat, I’ve owned an e-tech as well and besides a fuel pump (warranty) going out, it was great as well. Sure, it’s a shallow water boat so you can expect much in the open bay. If the price is right go for it!
kenner27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top