Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-20-2022, 06:50 PM   #1
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

Default East Texas quail, when and where did you last see any?

Itís been years and years. For me it was early 90s at my deer lease in red river county and off of the sulphur river in hunt county.
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 07:09 PM   #2
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County and Draw Hunts

I have quail on our lease in Red River county right now. We’ve seen several coveys and even some chicks once. Not many, but we’ve got some. We discourage our hunters from messing with them, would love to see the population grow.
Aggiebush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 07:12 PM   #3
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

I’m probably no help because my last time goes waaay back. My father grew up in Grapeland and we visited a lot in the late 60’s through the the mid 70’s - because of his business my grandfather knew just about every landowner in Houston County. When we got to town during the season dad (avid quail hunter) would start calling around. He would always find a few landowners who would tell him where they’d seen a covey or two hanging around and invite us out. Some of my best hunting memories - my dad, our Brittany and my single shot 20 gauge
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 07:23 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I saw one Bob white on the side of a county road near Clayton around 2008. I have no way of knowing if he was wild or released. I heard some whistling near Henderson one morning in the mid nineties. Same deal, don’t know if they were wild. Other than those, it was in the early to mid seventies when we still hunted them here.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #5
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Nacogdoches
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 07:30 PM   #6
RS3
Ten Point

My dad and grandad guided quail and woodcock hunters in smith and van zandt county in the 70’s and 80’s. I killed some in 88 but it wasn’t long after that the quail numbers tanked. According to my old man house cats, horse farms and coastal Bermuda grass were the main culprits of the decline in numbers.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:10 PM   #7
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

My land hasn't been sprayed with any kind of pesticide in the last 40 years but the Bobwhite quail have gone darn near extent. This is in Mills county. Habitat is the same. Maybe even better except for this drought. My Dad trained bird dogs for people back in the late 70's to early 80's. He would kill a few birds for the dogs to fetch. My have times changed.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:10 PM   #8
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Newton County, 90s.

You would think the TPWD would try reestablish Quail before bear and rattlesnakes….. just a thought
lovemylegacy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:16 PM   #9
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Freestone County outside of Oakwood in the mid 80's. Had several coveys in the fields behind our house.
Katch66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:31 PM   #10
Mbbriggs05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

Sabine County - early 2000’s there was covey on my grandpa’s land that we had watched for years
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #11
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Well, I would have to go way back. I graduated HS in 79. I remember getting off the school bus, grabbing my shotgun, and turning one dog out. Take off across the neighbors pasture and hit another pasture that didnít have any cows on it. Then just go from pasture to pasture. Be back home in time for dad to get home from work and I would be cleaning birds. He would ask how many I killed. I say 6. Then he ask how many coveys I found. I say 5.
Then after a couple years after I graduated, I worked on pipelines. Ended up helping a welder that lived right up the road. We worked on one right outside of Mount Enterprise. There were some big cut overs around there. I would hunt those on the weekends and found several coveys there. That was the early 80ís.
Havenít seen or heard a quail since then.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:45 PM   #12
doghouse
Pope & Young

I've heard it's something about eye mites. No clue if true or not.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #13
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqiggy View Post
Well, I would have to go way back. I graduated HS in 79. I remember getting off the school bus, grabbing my shotgun, and turning one dog out. Take off across the neighbors pasture and hit another pasture that didnít have any cows on it. Then just go from pasture to pasture. Be back home in time for dad to get home from work and I would be cleaning birds. He would ask how many I killed. I say 6. Then he ask how many coveys I found. I say 5.
Then after a couple years after I graduated, I worked on pipelines. Ended up helping a welder that lived right up the road. We worked on one right outside of Mount Enterprise. There were some big cut overs around there. I would hunt those on the weekends and found several coveys there. That was the early 80ís.
Havenít seen or heard a quail since then.
Oh, this was in Panola county and Rusk county.
I also remember dad taking me and we hunted a lot of places in Shelby county, between Joaquin and Paxton. Back then all the pastures were grown up because nobody ran cattle.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:55 PM   #14
Redfeathers
Six Point

See a couple coveys a year, that's it! Nothing like the past(Concho County).
Redfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:08 PM   #15
gspbrad
Ten Point

Hunt In: W TX, CO, NM, MO, IL, KS, ND

Panola County - in the Clayton area. Heard them paired up pretty good this time last year.
gspbrad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:10 PM   #16
CabezaBlanca
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado County

Saw 10-12 in East Colorado County earlier!
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:10 PM   #17
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Houston Co. I grew up with quail whistling in the spring. We always had coveys on our place. About 1992, they were just suddenly gone.
GarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:27 PM   #18
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Houston Co. I grew up with quail whistling in the spring. We always had coveys on our place. About 1992, they were just suddenly gone.
Probably around same time frame here, NE Navarro Co.
Used to have a covey of about 12-15 hang around the house and a few loose coveys down along a creek.

I was shooting my bow one day(about '82 or so) and covey came flying into a Redbud tree I had. More like a bush, right beside me. Then I heard a hawk screech and knew why.

Haven't seem em in a long, long time.
hpdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:30 PM   #19
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I heard a couple whistling last Fall out on the prairie here in Liberty County... Couldn't believe my ears. They were down in my pasture behind the house, but I didn't see 'em. Heard 'em off and on throughout most of the Winter, but haven't heard any this Spring... I was hoping they made it, but odds were stacked against 'em here with all the yotes, free roaming dogs/strays, and millions on coons...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:36 PM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I use to see and hear them all the time in Hardin County. Been scarce to non existent since the early ‘90’s
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #21
Trapper76
Eight Point

There’s many reasons the quail population has plummeted. Eye worms Are the biggest culprit. Raptors are #2, most all rural people used to raise chickens so they kept the raptors numbers down. During the fur boom the trappers kept the nest raiders at bay. Tens of thousands of coons, skunks,possums where caught each year. People say habitat change, but i know ranches covering many square miles that haven’t changed in the last 50 years. Quail are prolific breeders, but not able to overcome disease and predation.
Trapper76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 10:46 PM   #22
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Wood co. Mid 80’s that were wild

I see one every other year or so standing in a road… you can go pick it up… it was released. Also seen a pheasant last year
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 07:27 AM   #23
Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: God's green earth

Lamar county
Turkey hunting in 2007 at PMWMA walked into a small covey
About scared me to death
Never saw any before or since
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 07:48 AM   #24
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3 View Post
My dad and grandad guided quail and woodcock hunters in smith and van zandt county in the 70ís and 80ís. I killed some in 88 but it wasnít long after that the quail numbers tanked. According to my old man house cats, horse farms and coastal Bermuda grass were the main culprits of the decline in numbers.
Grew up in the same area and early to mid 80's was last I remember seeing any.

We also had a ton of Horny Toads in the sand fields. We would catch a few and keep them in a shoebox for a few hours then turn them back to catch another day. Big ones too, size of the palm of a grown man's hand
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 07:53 AM   #25
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

It was a very long time ago.. Before fire ants and back when coon skins brought good money..
There are your 2 problems.
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 09:07 AM   #26
∆theling
Pope & Young

I saw on the TPWD show that ground nesting birds were getting wiped out by the hog explosion. They cover every bit if ground and can sniff out eggs. It was in context to Turkey but stands to reason other ground laying birds would meet the same fate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
∆theling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #27
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆theling View Post
I saw on the TPWD show that ground nesting birds were getting wiped out by the hog explosion. They cover every bit if ground and can sniff out eggs. It was in context to Turkey but stands to reason other ground laying birds would meet the same fate.

Hogs are useless vermin and one day they will outnumber deer in lots of areas. They may already.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #28
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Hogs are useless vermin and one day they will outnumber deer in lots of areas. They may already.

Well with the coming recession/depression maybe those numbers will decrease a little lol. Knowing our govt though the FDA and USDA will have people starving in the streets while free meat runs rampant through the woods lmao.

∆theling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 10:14 AM   #29
bow4my2
Pope & Young

So a little off, but i frequent Las Vegas and they are all around. Have no idea how they survive it’s so dry!
bow4my2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 10:17 AM   #30
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Late 90's early 2000's Corrigan/camden area.
Lot of factors I think hurt quail.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 10:42 AM   #31
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

People blame fire ants and predators, and anything else. It is habitat loss that is the reason for the decline. Overgrazed pastures, farming, subdivisions, you name it. My grandpa said when he was a kid, there were quail all over down here. But between farming and cattle, the quail that were left can’t survive predation.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 11:54 AM   #32
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

The last big covey I saw at our place in northeast Jasper Co. was 1992. I did see a single last summer.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 12:48 PM   #33
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Panhandle nailed it on their decline. Habitat loss is by far the biggest factor, primarily Bermuda hayfields. Bermuda is too thick, the chicks can’t move around in it and hide.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #34
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, Kennedy County

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
People blame fire ants and predators, and anything else. It is habitat loss that is the reason for the decline. Overgrazed pastures, farming, subdivisions, you name it. My grandpa said when he was a kid, there were quail all over down here. But between farming and cattle, the quail that were left canít survive predation.
I agree. South Texas is loaded with predators, on the ground and from the sky and our numbers are stable. But ranches with poor over grazed pastures, or lack of cover or water populations are non existent.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 01:56 PM   #35
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Saw a few in Trinity county about 10yrs ago
sharkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #36
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
I agree. South Texas is loaded with predators, on the ground and from the sky and our numbers are stable. But ranches with poor over grazed pastures, or lack of cover or water populations are non existent.
Yep the loss of habitat, improved grass in pastures that arenít quail friendly, over grazed , no more edge strips
I saw one covey last month near the hay staging area in Eldorado
One covey on 40,000 acres
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 03:31 PM   #37
bowhuntingw
Ten Point

From reading everyoneís replyís, for the most part it sounds like itís been 20+ years for most all Of us. That area up along the red river seems To hold a few still. I know our lease we had back in the 80s into the mid 90s up northeast of Clarksville we had them. I think quail are suffering from much the same as turkeys, only worse. Thereís always been fire ants and nest raiding predators, I think habitat change and wild hogs are the main difference now. We didnít have hogs 30 years ago like we do now and the timber companies do not burn anymore.
bowhuntingw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #38
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Bobwhites are one of the most highly-researched wildlife species in Texas. If one problem was to blame for their decline, we would have found out years ago. Most quail experts agree that habitat loss/degradation is the biggest factor, but everything else from fire ants and eye worms to pigs and other predators certainly contribute. Quail need huge acreage of suitable habitat to sustain themselves and interbreed with neighboring populations following drought years. Development, land fragmentation, and pasture conversion can divide habitats and isolate small populations that won’t survive long-term.

My dad tells stories about huntable populations in and around Hunt County back in the 70s. Wish we could see that again in east Texas.

Last edited by 30-30; 05-21-2022 at 04:44 PM.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 04:31 PM   #39
Pstraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Had two coveys on my place when we bought in the early '90's. We never hunted them and neither did the neighbors. After about 3-4 years I have not seen or heard any. Did see a couple of turkeys on different occasions over the years.
Pstraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 04:57 PM   #40
twosixteens
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County Mostly Mack’s Creek Missouri on occasion

Saw a covey in Navarro County 1999 on a buddy’s place
twosixteens is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2022, 09:41 AM   #41
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

I saw 2 coveys and heard them every morning while we were turkey hunting the Sabine NF

Prior to reading this thread, I assumed there was a pretty healthy population
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2022, 02:37 PM   #42
Aggiebush
Ten Point

We had tons of quail in Hunt county back in the 70’s and early 80’s, my folks even had a covey that stayed around their house. Haven’t heard a single quail since the late 80’s around there.
Our lease is about 10 miles north of Clarksville, we have a great Turkey population also. First time I heard one whistle I didn’t believe it. We’ve seen several coveys over the last 3-4 years up there.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:43 PM   #43
doghouse
Pope & Young

I think it's a combination of many things. I have lots of Turkeys and they are ground nesters. I haven't seen a covey of quail for at least a year and nothing has changed on my places. No spraying etc.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:57 PM   #44
RedBear78
Eight Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

I hunt the Angelina Ntl Forest and see lots of quail every year.They burn and create habitat so I guess that’s why there’s some to be seen up there.I jump plenty when I’m stalking along trying to be quiet for deer but if I ever break out the shotgun I can’t buy a bird.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #45
PlanoDano
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Fire ants, hogs, eyeworms, and drought all factors for sure. I think an unmentioned factor is round up resistant crops which kills all the cover around some fields. I have a really nice flusher in her prime. I have been getting her some work on woodcock as quail are few in my usual haunts.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2022, 05:50 PM   #46
Sippy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Burnet, Smith, Eastland

I had one in my garage last year on lake Tyler, but I’m pretty sure he was an escapee from someone.
Sippy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #47
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

One of my best friends Iíve known for over 30 years sent me this the other day. Sitting in a tree at his house just outside of college station

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #48
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

One covey on my place, one time about 10 years ago in Lamar county. Never hear any either.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #49
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I saw one Bob white on the side of a county road near Clayton around 2008. I have no way of knowing if he was wild or released. I heard some whistling near Henderson one morning in the mid nineties. Same deal, donít know if they were wild. Other than those, it was in the early to mid seventies when we still hunted them here.
He was almost certainly wild. Released quail rarely last 24 hours in the wild.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #50
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Sitting on the back porch in the evenings I can hear some whistle out in the pasture every now and again. Some still around, but nothing near like it used to be.
texan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top