Educate me on Goats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me on Goats

My daughter turns 5 on Sunday, and the ONLY thing she ask for is a stupid goat. We live on about 30 acres, so having a couple goats is not an issue. I have done a little research, and I learned if you get 1 you really need a 2 for them to be happy. I'm thinking I can build them a little pen, and move it around from time to time as needed. Are goats animals I can turn loose during the day, and lock up at night or will they run off if I let them out? I have chickens and a couple pot belly pigs and they don't get 100 yards from the food bowl.

What do I need to know about getting a couple little dwarf goats?

Don't get them, is currently not an option.. Its either goats or a 4 wheeler, and I'm not trying to spend 2 grand on a 5 year old a 4 wheeler!

Goats are easy. Moving a pen around would be a pain. I'd just set up an electric fence(crossfenced), and then when it's feeding time, they'll come running(maybe) if you have alot of tasty forage, you might not have to feed them. Just make sure and move them from one grassy/brushy area to another before they turn it to dirt.....

Comment

Waiting patiently for the "if a fence won't hold water, it won't hold goats" people.

Comment

Don't get a billy, if u just want them for pets. The idea of breeding them may sound nice, and goats actually bring a good price now. Butt....those suckers stink and they can be mean, and I wouldn't want a 5 year old around Billy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          Waiting patiently for the "if a fence won't hold water, it won't hold goats" people.
          If you feed'em you're fine. It's the *****hats that don't feed their dang animals. Goat's will find a way to get to that green pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
            If you feed'em you're fine. It's the *****hats that don't feed their dang animals. Goat's will find a way to get to that green pasture.
            We got plenty for them to eat, but we will be feeding them daily in the same place. All our other animals know the sound of the feed shed doors, so I wouldn't think goats would be any different. My biggest concern currently is fruit trees, and stuff like that... If I get a billy can I get him fixed to solve those issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              So a barbed wire fence wont keep them in?

Comment

you need a decent net wire fence. if nothing else to keep the dogs and coyotes off them. depending on their mood, they like to wander and eat new things.

i had one as a pet as a kid and it would get out of the yard fence and wander through town but then come home.

i have no idea what kind of other goats we had. i don't think they were anything special. this was 45 plus years ago. and to the best of my knowledge we never ate or sold one. they were strictly hanging out goats.

if i keep one of my bigger acreage properties, i'm going to put up a netwire or just high fence about 50 acres to make me a zoo. and goats will be on the list of "exotics", i'm going to stock it with. they're usually friendly and cooperative

you might want to rent one for a while and see how you like it. (i kid, but there is a place off 77, that does rent them, probably for brush control)

Comment

They eat everything, climb on everything,and escape everything… good luck!

In all reality they are pretty easy if you can keep them in.

Comment

Biggest problems are coyotes and worms. I had one killed yesterday.

They are really cool and smart.

Comment

1. Fences are great, but not only to keep your goats in, to keep roaming or loose dogs out. you can lose your herd with one or two abandoned pits.
                      2. research which mini goats you want. based on where you live. Some regular goats have a higher tolerance for drought conditions and range grass. my dad used to call some goats city goats, they never left the pen to eat, and feeding a herd of them can be expensive.
                      3. the pen should be coyote proof to keep your animals safe also. lock them up at nite, and release them in the morning. good shelter, clean water.
                      4. have fun. my dad had 30 Boer goats, and they kept us busy. The billy was a pain in the Biden. ( you know what i mean )

Comment

I have 4 Nigerian dwarfs , they are easy . I lock em up at night so they dont get taken out by yotes, big cats etc. They have about 2 acres of brush and trees to eat on and we feed in the evening with pellets to get to come to the pens. Let em out in the morning . We have 2 doe and 2 wethers. get them right off the bottle and they will be really docile and calm easy to pick up and play with for the kiddo. Goats provide lots of entertainment,lol.

Comment

Your question about fixing a billy - Easy to do, just rubber band and they will fall off. Best to do when they are young though. Might also consider dehorning (easy if horns are small still) if around kids. If you can get them small and have time to bottle feed, they will be like puppies.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                            If I get a billy can I get him fixed to solve those issues?
                            Make a Wether out of him and it will someday be sum the best BBQ you ever et.

It won't fix the head butting and that's why they end up on the smoker.

Comment

I would suggest a dairy goat breed, like the Nigerian, as they are simply bred to be a bit more docile than the meat goat breeds. They also have some really cool colors if you shop around. They are great to have around for kids and don't need much at all and, yes, they definitely know the "feed bell"! One issue is they will get into everyone else's feed, chicken, horse, pig etc....they love poison ivy and poison oak, so if you have that turn them loose!!! Just really need a net wire fence and an easy shelter for them to get out of the rain as they HATE rain!! If you find a breeder you could buy a couple of does and then work a deal to take them back to breed when they are old enough as having a billy on sight is a PIA!! Having baby goats come for your kids to experience is super fun and it will bring all of their friends over!!! Health wise all you really need to watch out for is worms and then birthing...... Good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X