Watering system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watering system

I think the pics pretty much splain what I've done...

looks pretty dang good. I am thinking about ways to get water out on a farm we bird hunt that is loaded with an-patternable muleys. I may steal your idea partially, but build it a bit bigger to prevent weekly fill-ups...
    nicely done!

Comment

Originally posted by raiderbowhunter View Post
      I may steal your idea partially, but build it a bit bigger to prevent weekly fill-ups...
      nicely done!
      Patent pending!

Comment

Where did you get the pump?

Comment

I would suggest to start thinking about changing your water hose to PVC. The mice/rats chewed my hose into many little pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Problem Child View Post
            Where did you get the pump?
            Harbor Freight.http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94639

Brian L, I was thinking about that as I was putting it all together. More than likely, I will be replacing the garden hose very soon.

Comment

Have y'all considered guzzlers on your place?

Comment

Guzzlers?

Comment

Guzzlers

It is a way of capturing rain water and storing it while slowly rationing it out as a watering source for wildlife. The way that I've heard it done is that first you buy a tank to hold the water and then create some type of drainage from the roof of a structure (house, covered picnic table, blind, etc.) to feed/fill the tank. Then you run a hose from the tank to a small trough so that the trough will remain full as long as there's water in the tank. Now I've been told that you usually have to fill the tank the first time but that afterwards the yearly rain fall will maintain it easily. Unless you're watering livestock this should keep your deer, turkey and other wildlife watered year round. Below are links to some commercial guzzlers that may be able to give you a better idea of what I'm talking about although they're designed different.

Comment

I'm pickin up what you're puttin down!

That what this essentially is...just a small version of it.

The barrel cut in 1/2 is the rain-catcher. The whole barrel will store the water.
                    If this workls the way I hope it will, I will put a few more around our lease.

Comment

Cool. I'm planning on doing the same thing on my Mom's land. It's between El Paso and Carlsbad on the texas side. Maybe then when we see game it won't be by chance.

Comment

great idea

Comment

WOW
                          That is a good idea, looks pretty easy too!!

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                            WOW
                            That is a good idea, looks pretty easy too!!
                            Very easy and not too expensive.

I've had a trailcam set up on it for the last couple of weeks. As expected, deer are not using it yet because of ample water in the browse but it makes a good swimming pool for the coons.

Comment

We did something similar to this on our place. I am curious to see how the animals take to it and how long it provides water before needing to be refilled.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	5-1-08 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	23840367

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-1-08 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	23840368

Comment

Working...