Frequent flyers-i need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent flyers-i need advice

Leaning on the Green Screen for some advice here as I know many have the knowledge on this subject. I need advice on finding affordable plane tickets. I do not nor have I ever flown much so I really have no clue other than google the travel sites. Is there a better way to do this? I need flights bi monthly from south Texas to Manhatten ks if possible.
    Is it better to do this on a credit card to earn points? Is there a better card to use for this type of thing?

I’m sure you are aware that Manhattan, KS is a regional airport so has pretty limited airlines. American will be your best bet IMO

Comment

I use GoogleFlights to price/book flights

Find which airline offers the most flights and sign up for their card

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
        I’m sure you are aware that Manhattan, KS is a regional airport so has pretty limited airlines. American will be your best bet IMO
        I did not realize that and I am not fully aware of what that means. I am guessing limited service by commercial airlines. We are going from Corpus Christi,Tx to the closest/best value thats near Ft. Riley, Ks. I am 50 yrs old and literally have flown 3 times in my life, the last time was atleast 10 yrs ago. I am not educated in the airline business at all. It looks like AA does CC to Manhattan from a quick look.
        The goal is to find a service so my wife or I can take our grandson to see his father. It’s a divorce situation, she moved back near near Corpus so we get to see our grandson per the temp. Orders from judge. Currently we get 1st,3rd,5th weekends from Thursday 3:30pm to Monday 8:00am. My son is stationed at FR, my grandson is 9months so driving straight through is difficult with him being so young.
        I appreciate all the help and advice given from everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by brushtrooper View Post
          I did not realize that and I am not fully aware of what that means. I am guessing limited service by commercial airlines. We are going from Corpus Christi,Tx to the closest/best value thats near Ft. Riley, Ks. I am 50 yrs old and literally have flown 3 times in my life, the last time was atleast 10 yrs ago. I am not educated in the airline business at all. It looks like AA does CC to Manhattan from a quick look.
          The goal is to find a service so my wife or I can take our grandson to see his father. It’s a divorce situation, she moved back near near Corpus so we get to see our grandson per the temp. Orders from judge. Currently we get 1st,3rd,5th weekends from Thursday 3:30pm to Monday 8:00am. My son is stationed at FR, my grandson is 9months so driving straight through is difficult with him being so young.
          I appreciate all the help and advice given from everyone.
          Sorry about the situation.

This google site can help. However, it looks like, your schedule is going to be fairly rigid. I commend you for the effort. What the regional designation means, is that their is going to be limited service.
          I looked and American is about the only carrier. You can book directly through the American website. Sign up for their advantage program or get an American Airlines credit card through chase also.
          Basic economy is ok for such a short trip. Means no pre assigned seating, but that’s ok until maybe you have some status if you keep it up. I looked one month out and a ticket is $264. Kids at that age are free on the lap.
          Good luck and ask away. I’ve flown 11,000 domestic miles this month already.

Comment

We flew to MHK every other month and drove the others. American is the airline into there. Great little airport. Wish the kids were still there. Now they’re at Bragg.

Comment

Assuming your option is flying American then this is what I’d do: (I only fly 1-2 times a month but it’s 100% American).

1. Sign up for the American Advantage frequent flyer program on aa.com (it’s free).
              2. Sign up for the American Airlines MasterCard and use it to buy everything you normally pay for in life but pay it off every month. I use mine for work travel, monthly utilities, etc. and earn at least 100,00 flyer miles a year which is good for 2-3 round trip tickets.
              3. Get the American app on your phone. It won’t save you money but it will save you time. You can get flight updates, check-in to your flight, and get your boarding pass on the app. Carry on bags and you’ll never stop at a kiosk or check-in counter ever again.
              4. You might look at some internet booking sites that offer a refund if a fare drops but honestly it’s not like 10-15 years ago when you could easily find cheaper flights on different internet sites. Often, I see the cheapest price on my AA or Hilton hotel App. I haven’t seen more than a $20 price difference on any site in several years. However, you need to experiment about when to buy your tickets. Too early or too late is the biggest factor in price nowadays.

Comment

nchunter pretty much nailed it.

There are only two airports that service Manhattan, KS. DFW and Chicago O'Hare. That alone will limit your choices. Even if you look at other close airports in Kansas, there isnt a direct flight from Corpus.

Flights from San Antonio to MHK via a stop in Dallas are generally cheaper than Corpus to MHK direct, but you have to judge if the extra drive time is worth it. (use google.com/flights as also mentioned above)

You will be flying American, so sign up for an American Advantage account to earn miles and such while traveling. I would also get an AA credit card and book all your travel on that card (it will link to your AA account). Mile can later be redeemed for free flights.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the advice and insight. As always, the GS pulls through. Much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                  X