No announcement yet.

Water heater replacement question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at that I’d go with the 60” because there doesn’t appear to be a ton of slack in your electrical supply. Be sure and measure the height of the relief from the floor on the existing vs new as that doesn’t have a ton of slack either - although you might be able to spin the tank clockwise a bit to make it line up. One end of your relief is soldered - I think shark bite make a fitting where you could cut off the flex on the relief and attach the shark bite to the hard copper pipe to allow you to use a copper flex pipe that is threaded at both ends.Then you could just get a longer flex if need be.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
        Heating elements are probably starting to "lime" up and cause hot spots in the cal-rod. You might could just replace the element(s) and get by for a few more years. Most plumbing supply houses would have replacement elements. Just need heater MFG and nomenclature.

Gas heaters build up calcium carbonate in the bottom and then burn thru from the flame against the tank bottom because the water is no longer in contact with the inside due to the build up. The "lime" or calcium carbonate build up acts as an insulator and keep the heat from transferring to the water. Similar happens to elect. elements. The heat is trapped underneath the buildup and causes the element to have hot spots and burn thru or short out.
        Replace the elements, tank is probably good
        Turn off the breaker, let cool , hook up the water hose , drain and flush the tank with safety valve open , remove/ replace elements, Refill, flip on breaker
        Last hot water heater lasted 55 years the newer ones are easy to work on

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          So the water heater is 15 years old? And in good working order? So why replace it?

The one I've got has a born on date of 1974 (NG). I know they don't make them like they used to. And read a discussion on here a couple years ago about them being replaced every 5 years or so with the new models. Being the new models are not designed to last. Just don't' see why not wait a bit if it's in good shape and working properly.
          Ours was 14 years old and looked like new from the outside. One evening my wife was walking across the family room and water squished up. Heater in the garage sprung a leak and leaked into 3 rooms before we found it. Now we replace before they fail.

Comment

Don't disconnect that ground wire next to the valve.

Comment

Can you get the shorter one and build up a base to whatever height you need? Just replumb the drain line.

Comment

Put the new heater (shorter) on the base and re-plumb the piping. Work smart, not hard.

Comment

Working...
                X