Skiing Steamboat MusicFest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skiing Steamboat MusicFest

My wife and I booked our first trip to steamboat for music fest. This will be both of our first time skiing , so I have questions for the skiers and those who’ve been to musicfest. Looking for recommendations on clothing and also any suggestions on what to eat and expect. I looked at a couple past threads on MF but not a lot of info.
    Thanks

I started skiing a couple of years ago and got bit by the bug hard. Will this be a one time thing or are you wanting to keep doing it. Ski clothing is like anything else. You get what you pay for and it gets expensive quick. When is it?

Comment

Haven't been to music fest and don't ski but I can sure point you to some good food. Mahogany Ridge Brewery & Grill. They have a happy hour at 430 everyday and not on the menu but they have some half priced items that I believe you'd enjoy. Otherwise be sure and try some of their menu items. You won't be disappointed. Colorado natural filet mignon is one of my favorites. Great staff and friendly environment.

Comment

Originally posted by ramos104 View Post
        I started skiing a couple of years ago and got bit by the bug hard. Will this be a one time thing or are you wanting to keep doing it. Ski clothing is like anything else. You get what you pay for and it gets expensive quick. When is it?
        I’m not sure I guess we’ll know once we go lol, we do plan on taking our kids sometime. It’s January 5-10 I believe.

Originally posted by slicktricker View Post
        Haven't been to music fest and don't ski but I can sure point you to some good food. Mahogany Ridge Brewery & Grill. They have a happy hour at 430 everyday and not on the menu but they have some half priced items that I believe you'd enjoy. Otherwise be sure and try some of their menu items. You won't be disappointed. Colorado natural filet mignon is one of my favorites. Great staff and friendly environment.
        Thanks I’ll put this on the list, my wife is always impressed because I pick a lot of places strictly off tbh recommendations.

Comment

Step one for any ski trip starts in the gym. Work primarily on your legs with emphasis on quads. Step two is book a lesson on the first day. I’ve skied Steamboat a number of times. Great mountain. Go easy on the alcohol. Us flatlandsrs don’t do well at altitude. I try to stay at an elevation of 8600 ft or less. For clothes I would suggest a ski bib which is like overalls. You can count on spending some time rolling around in the snow. The ski bib helps to keep
          snow away from the undesirable places. Good luck.

Comment

If it’s your first time skiing, I would suggest at least one lesson. 2 things to remember. Kids are gonna pick it up faster than you and if your not active your gonna feel it in your knees and thighs. Also if you skateboarded when you were younger give snowboarding a try.

Comment

Ski-bib and then ski pants over that. Depends on how cold it is on what your wear on top. If it’s cold..... bundle up. Your gonna be sweating while skiing then get on the lift and cool down and you’ll be cold.

There’s a pizza joint at the bottom of the mountain we ate a slice everyday when we got done. They use honey to put on the pizza. I was skeptical at first but after I tried it I put it on every time. Love that place!

Comment

I proposed to my wife at the top of that mountain

Comment

I’ve went to music fest a couple years ago. The mountain was really empty - most people just hung out and drank at the concerts all day.

Most people over dress for skiing.

You just need water proof ski pants and jacket. Colombia makes decent stuff that isn’t too expensive. Loot at backcountry.com, rei outlet, campmor, etc.

Get some good long johns - anything that wicks moisture is good. I wear insulated ski pants and nothing else under my ski pants/coat 90% of the time - at most another thin top/bottom layer. Get a good quick drying cap, wear wicking sock and glove liners.

You’ll sweat when you ski (even when it’s 20 degrees) and you’ll be much more comfortable with wicking base layers than the rookies who pack on 10 layers of clothes.

Comment

Blue sage pizza is pretty good too if that's what you want. It's at Mt Werner rd tucked away in the shopping center. Then there's always Moes barbecue and they're ok but it's not Texas hill country bbq. Drink plenty of water before you go and while you're there and you'll be ok with the altitude.

Comment

Gear wise I’d go cheaper on pants, Colombia’s or Magellan from academy and get a nicer Kuiu jacket that you can use for hunting too.

Hydration has always been key for me to not get altitude sickness.

I like to be on the mountain when the lifts open and ski all morning, hit a couple runs after lunch then call it a day. Later in the day gets more crowded and depending on weather can start to get icy in highly travelled runs. That first run of the day when no one else is on the mountain is something special.

Comment

Definitely go to ski school.
                        You can buy really good bibs/coats on Etsy that haven't been worn more than a few times.
                        Every restaurant we went to in Steamboat was **** good.If you have a tobacco habit,take plenty from Texas with ya.Copenhagen was crazy high in the gas stations.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been to MusicFest 9 times. Love the mountain, love the town. If the powder is good, it’ll be an epic trip. Here’s a couple of suggestions :

Skiing (with your skill set):
                          1) you’ll get lesson discounts with your MF bag @ registration. Use them!
                          2) stay off heavenly daze (since you’re a beginner)
                          3) ride the gondola up for lunch one day
                          (If you had a different skill set, I’d have different advice for skiing)

Eateries :
                          1) restaurant at top of mountain for dinner
                          2) truffle pig (dinner)
                          3) T-Bar for lunch
                          4) get a Bloody Mary anywhere on the mountain

Music:
                          1) Don’t try to see it all. Map out your shows and give yourself plenty of time to get in line. If you try to bounce around, you’ll stand in line and miss the concerts.
                          2) If the tribute is someone good, go to it. I’ve seen some epic shows for the tribute.
                          3) go to the Wade Bowen show to close it out. All the artists end up on stage and he always closes with a cover
                          4) creager’s piano show is fun but fills up quickly

It’s great trip and is what you make of it. I also recommend going a day early to acclimate yourself. And make sure to drink plenty of water! Have a great trip. The “Boat” is pretty special

Comment

If you have any specific questions or want more info, PM me.

Comment

We went several years in a row back when the Texas scene was huge. All the big boys were in Steamboat. It was a blast but I realized it cut into my boarding time too much because we were hungover every morning.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X