Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much landscaping did you lose in the freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All indian hawthorns - about a dozen. Pulled them all and replanted.

Several other shrubs as well.

Comment

Many ornamental cactus that my wife has collected for years. It looked like our pampas grass was gone but I weedeated all the dead stuff out and low and behold, found green shoots coming back.
      On a positive note, several of our crepe myrtles look to be dead, didn’t think it could be done. Unfortunately many of them are coming back.

Comment

A palm tree, a really well established palm plant, 16-18 azaleas, some Indian Hawthorns, and a few ornamental trees and shrubs that I had to look back at our landscape plan to name. Still not sure about a couple of Japanese Yews and a few others.

Still trying to determine where to replace vs where to start over.

Comment

Many thousands of trichocereus cacti. It was bad. I saved some

Comment

So far it looks like one oak tree and a couple of plants in the front yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Bottlebrush, oleander, succulents are toast. My azalea and knockout roses were hammered but came back with a vengeance.

Comment

4 of 8 dwarf nandinas planted last summer.

Comment

Don’t have any special plants but lost a couple nice cedar trees that broke off about half way up due to ice and a lot of yaupons that fell over and now got to either cut them back or pull up.

Comment

Is not enough acceptable?

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I thought I'd lost our landscape cotoneasters but, although they still look like they're struggling, they've been putting out a little new growth here and there. Also lost a laurel bay bush, for which I am glad. Couldn't beat that thing back often enough. I have enough dried bay leaves to last me three lifetimes. Good riddance.

On the other hand, we have two 300-400 year old live oak trees, one on either side of the house, that look none the worse for wear. I guess when you lived close to 400 years, nothing much gets you down. SO glad I'm not having to replace these!

Comment

Lost about 70%. The greatest loss was our 10 ft ponytail palm. Had that thing since around mid 90’s. It spent the majority of its life in a large pot until the last few years, then w transplanted into the ground. We tried to cover it best we could, but the freeze was too great.

Comment

22 Texas Sage. pulled them out and taken to the burn pile.

Comment

Everything but a single wax leaf. Ripped out the dead stuff a couple weeks ago and just used the truck to rip out the surviving wax-leaf this evening. Taking the opportunity to replace the entire landscaping. Lost several Indian Hawthorne, two oleanders and 3 or 4 wax leaf ligustrum among a few smaller things.

Already tilled in fresh compost and trace minerals, re-mulched and put in 7 encore azaleas this week. Still have to decide what else to plant though.
                            Last edited by bdubb; 04-13-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Only thing I lost was one rosemary bush

Comment

Still waiting on 4 HUGE beds of ~30 year old azaleas to see if they survived; plus a few other shrubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X