Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get live meal worms from?

Comment

I have two bluebird houses and the coons get the chicks almost every year. I am sure they have eggs in them now, but not home to set my traps at the base of the trees.

I added one new house that has a cone to prevent them from climbing it but none had made a nest in it before I left for work.

I trapped several coons earlier this year hoping to have put a dent in the population, fingers crossed the chicks make it this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
        We had 5 eggs and I guess a cowbird swapped one out lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need to get rid of the cowbird egg out. They are a good bit bigger and when they happen to us before it smothered our bluebird babies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
          Where do you get live meal worms from?

Wild birds unlimited store in Burleson.

There may be one in B/CS.

Comment

Should be ready to fly soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
              You need to get rid of the cowbird egg out. They are a good bit bigger and when they happen to us before it smothered our bluebird babies

Agreed. The brown-headed cowbirds are not friends of the blue birds. TPWD will even provide specialized training to eradicate them, in order to help protect blue birds.

Sadly, our Montague County blue birds do not seem to be present. By this time, several of our nine BB houses would be inhabited. I have seen zero sign so far.

Comment

I got a bunch of them down here.

Comment

Dang

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
                  I haven’t seen any bluebirds since the big freeze. We found several frozen in the snow. One of my neighbors found 7 pairs jammed into one of his bluebird houses all frozen to death. Have any of you folks seen any lately?
                  I still don't any Purple Martins yet. A few will come but don't hang around. I wondering if it's because we don't have a bunch of skeeters and bugs that they eat.

Comment

I mentioned the other day in this thread that my bluebirds were MIA as well. I thought I would add that they are back and here to stay. I put up a couple of blue bird houses in Feb and this weekend they moved in! I watched them bring nesting material in all weekend and hopefully we will have eggs and new chicks some day soon.

Comment

We don’t have any of our Purple Martins here. Hope they didn’t all freeze out. I’m at our ranch in Comanche, Texas.
                      Last edited by Mojo68; 04-26-2021, 03:10 PM. Reason: Left out where this was located.

Comment

Originally posted by gvanwage View Post
                        I mentioned the other day in this thread that my bluebirds were MIA as well. I thought I would add that they are back and here to stay. I put up a couple of blue bird houses in Feb and this weekend they moved in! I watched them bring nesting material in all weekend and hopefully we will have eggs and new chicks some day soon.
                        Great to hear that they returned! We still patiently await their return.
                        We aren't seeing martins yet either.

Comment

No bluebirds here yet that we have seen. But if anyone's interested in seeing some pics of grackles I can take plenty of those. They have got to open a dang season on these things.

Comment

I still can't believe like purple martins.

Comment

We still haven't seen a bluebird since the freeze. I have 12 houses and none have bluebirds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

We already had a clutch successfully reared, and had a second pair checking the house out yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X