No announcement yet.

OTC unit Archery elk in Colorado ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What ever unit you decide please put in for a sept rifle or archery bear tag.

It’s not over hunting, it’s high bear cub recruitment.

Comment

Still looking for help !
      Maybe someone is looking for another to tag along or maybe someone is retiring from the hunt this year and doesn’t mind transferring a little info.
      Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

My opinion is pretty much all OTC sucks. Joe Rogan, Born and Raised and the huge social media drive has made everyone want to hunt elk. I hunt Same area as you every year. My game plan is to keep hunting it on fill in years when i dont Draw a limited tag. I’m up to 7 points in most states so hopefully I’ll start hitting some good tags.

Comment

We hunted unit 80 and 81 OTC this past fall. One guy in our group (we had 2 groups) shot a cow elk but never recovered. We saw tons of recent sign but I never actually saw any elk and we were there for a week.

The deadfall from the beetles is pretty crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
            Still looking for help !
            Maybe someone is looking for another to tag along or maybe someone is retiring from the hunt this year and doesn’t mind transferring a little info.
            Hunting several states easy to draw units on a rotation. Like Wyoming General, Montana General, Colorado 2 point unit, is going to be your best bet.

Grizzly country in SW Montana and western Wyoming is a much better hunt than CO otc.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

I am swinging for the fences in NM this year. If I don’t draw elk there I will go otc Arizona for coues deer. I have one spot I would do otc in Colorado again but it’s last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                Still looking for help !

Just a little advice for you. Get go hunt and some maps and do your own research. Not a lot of people willing to help out on public land. Especially otc units. Your probably just as well off throwing a dart at a map as you are asking for help on here.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                  Just a little advice for you. Get go hunt and some maps and do your own research. Not a lot of people willing to help out on public land. Especially otc units. Your probably just as well off throwing a dart at a map as you are asking for help on here.

Lol I'm TRYING to help him...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw Elk on the highway between Buena Vista and Breckinridge. Only elk I've seen in the entire state.

I hunted 75/751 last year, I got a tag in the second draw. I won't be spending anymore time there.

Comment

Look at the burn maps from about five years ago. A lot of those areas are overlooked but are great hunting due to the regrowth after the fires.

Comment

I have hunted OTC Medicine Bow-Routt National Forests areas/Units in past years. Even hunted private land Unit 441 one year. Beautiful country. Though I have yt to kill an elk, I have seen Elk, Muleys and Bear. that keeps me coming back.
                        What I can tell you is you will walk... a-lot. So start preparing early.
                        The number of hunters has increased every year. I use to be able to go a complete day with never seeing anyone. Last year I bumped into two maybe three people a day.
                        I have hunted New Mexico and Southern Colorado for elk prior to this and the elk I have seen in the northern part are smaller than elk in either of those two locations.
                        But I haven't given up yet. I guess I am hard headed because reading though what I just wrote makes me think I should be looking elsewhere too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Comments here are pretty entertaining, yet overly discouraging for most part.

Easy to draw units in CO are essentially OTC because they have left over tags. Bulls die every year in those units. Are they a unit 10 or 76.. no terrain is much harder, doesn’t mean less elk, just generally means more physical

Op don’t give up on those units. You need to pick a different entry and go from there. Don’t be scared to be mobile. I’ve packed a few bulls out of there and still have friends that hunt it. Their success is pretty consistent.

I glassed several bulls up and called in to small rags messing around last year. I even helped re-affirm an area while on side of a mountain for a TV crew in a otc unit last year, they went in bugle upped and killed a bull over Labor Day weekend. This was their third move in the unit. They stayed mobile

Keep the faith, one foot in front of the other and March on.
                          Last edited by Texans42; 03-31-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

We hunted the North Park area last year and saw Elk, Bear, Muley, Moose, etcm but not close enough for a shot. A lot of hunters due to the fires condensing the hunters, but it was good time. Would like to go back, but not sure it is worth the 17 hour drive from DFW.

Comment

If you hunt in the San Juans you have less than a week to get your application in. It will probably be 100% for first draw and maybe even 100% on second draw.

Comment

My buddy backed out on me. Trying to convince wide to let me go alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X