The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    Truth of the matter is license fees for residents AND non-residents could go up significantly across the board for residents and nonresidents and that would solve a bunch of issues right away.
    Depends on the definition of the word solve, it'll reduce demand for sure but it also might make hunting only available for the well off/rich. I don't think most people want that.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      They won't lose NR's, they're issuing the same number of tags but the rest will be going into General instead of LQ. That way the revenue doesn't drop.

It's tough for any of the Western states to manage the hunting, the demand is constantly going up and everybody is vying for more opportunity. It's really a no win game for all involved unless Bill Gates gets his way and knocks the world's population in half. When my kids are my age I'm expecting the common man to be priced out or an Elk hunt will be a once in 20 years type of thing.
      Unfortunately this is my fear as well. The changes I have seen since my first elk hunt in 1999 are widespread and drastic.

As I said earlier, a big tag cost increase would help a lot with the scarcity of elk tags.

Comment

Depends on the definition of the word solve, it'll reduce demand for sure but it also might make hunting only available for the well off/rich. I don't think most people want that.
        Hunting out of state elk isn't an opportunity thing. It is a desire thing. I hunted whitetails in Texas with a $80 combo hunting and fishing license.

It WILL make hunting less egalitarian. It will also put Elk hunting out of reach of a lot of people. But it has to happen. More Deer are shot every year in popular whitetails state than Elk live in most Rocky Mountain states.

For example, 374,000 deer were killed in 2019/2020 hunting season in PA. https://www.google.com/search?q=penn...hrome&ie=UTF-8

The total elk population of Idaho is around 120,000 animals.... That is the problem.

How to make that fair, yet still make it obtainable is higher cost tags. A $3500 tag would cut down on the PA whitetail hunters that could afford a tag every year, sure. But anyone that wanted to bad enough could save up for a few years, and be confident in getting a tag. That is better than the current situation where everyone is scrambling and not being able to depend on even getting a tag.

Comment

They won't lose NR's, they're issuing the same number of tags but the rest will be going into General instead of LQ. That way the revenue doesn't drop.

It's tough for any of the Western states to manage the hunting, the demand is constantly going up and everybody is vying for more opportunity. It's really a no win game for all involved unless Bill Gates gets his way and knocks the world's population in half. When my kids are my age I'm expecting the common man to be priced out or an Elk hunt will be a once in 20 years type of thing.
          They will if this applies to all species across the board and pronghorn and Mule deer don’t have a set number dedicated to non residents like elk does.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            We want you to have a hard quota, that is all. Maybe have access to extra tags in the leftover draw . No one is saying no licenses for NR except you.
            Apps are up every year, we will not hurt if this passes but thanks for your concern.
            I didnt say no non resident tags. But your complaining that tags that weren’t applied for by residents are going to non residents because y’all want to be able to have 4 of them from a leftover list. Since nonresidents pay way more for theirs than residents you will lose money unless either y’all pay more or substantially increase non resident tags fees. Also. I didn’t mean in need financially, but when they force more wolves, or grizzly on y’all or start hocking off public lands dont expect nonresidents to show up to help.

Comment

Holy crap!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bone View Post

Holy crap!
                Miracles DO happen, what unit hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bone View Post

Holy crap!
                  AWESOME, congrats! What unit?

Comment

I got drawn as well!! Super pumped! 5a is my unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar69 View Post
                      I got drawn as well!! Super pumped! 5a is my unit.

How many points did you have?

Comment

I was drawn for Arizona elk rifle 12/3-12/9, unit 22N!!

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                          I didnt say no non resident tags. But your complaining that tags that weren’t applied for by residents are going to non residents because y’all want to be able to have 4 of them from a leftover list. Since nonresidents pay way more for theirs than residents you will lose money unless either y’all pay more or substantially increase non resident tags fees. Also. I didn’t mean in need financially, but when they force more wolves, or grizzly on y’all or start hocking off public lands dont expect nonresidents to show up to help.
                          The loss revenus is estimated at $8 million with ways to offset that with price increases for NR licenses and increases in resident prices as well.
                          We will not be selling off any public lands in Wyoming, that I know. Wolves, we deal with now, same for grizz.

Wyoming residents are entitled to say 6 pronghorn licenses by state statute but WG&F made the rule that we can only apply for 3 in the 1st draw. The licenses not drawn are because we could not apply for more than 1 buck and 2 doe tags in 1st draw not because no one wanted to apply for them.

They are all our licenses as residents but the commission, WG&F, decision to roll unapplied for licenses into the NR draw limits our ability to get those extra licenses. They have always been wanted but hard to draw the extras we are allowed simply because WG&F has rolled them onto your draw.

We are not taking any licenses away from NR just claiming what has been ours but given to you all for years.
                          You will have a set quota if the percentage changes happen for LQ tags and NR will get those licenses guaranteed for your draw.

Good luck folks on your AZ hunts. Hoping it's a great year for antlers down there .

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                            How many points did you have?

9 points. 10th year putting in.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar69 View Post
                              9 points. 10th year putting in.

Did you draw the early Archery hunt? I am up to 4 or 5 points now. I know I will be in the game for a while, but I want to eventually do something out there.

I also want to make a trip to Vegas and drive over to do the hunters ed day while I'm there to gain an extra point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                                Did you draw the early Archery hunt? I am up to 4 or 5 points now. I know I will be in the game for a while, but I want to eventually do something out there.

I also want to make a trip to Vegas and drive over to do the hunters ed day while I'm there to gain an extra point.

Early archery bull. September hunt

Comment

Working...
                                X