Forensic Gunsmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
    I am thinking 308 in a 270, or something along those lines. Or a reload with the wrong powder, like a case full of bullseye. That took a lot of pressure and there are not too many ways to get that much

It was factory ammo.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
      It was factory ammo.

Sierracharlie out…

Are you sure, that box looks old and plenty of people put reloads in factory boxes?

Comment

It’s a browning A Bolt in 25.06. He said the ammo was a couple years old. That’s all I know. If anything it’s a **mn good reminder to double check whatever you put in your gun and always wear ear protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would really like to see what ammo is in the box

Comment

It looks like the bolt was closed and locked down when it happened. Looks to be a freak accident and a shell went off in the magazine, maybe a piece of dirt or something happened to be on the primer and recoil set it off ??? Maybe I missed it but was he missing a shell or had one been set off? Is that a burn spot on the stock at the front of the mag box?

Comment

Is the barrel clear now? No bullets stuck in it?

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                It looks like the bolt was closed and locked down when it happened. Looks to be a freak accident and a shell went off in the magazine, maybe a piece of dirt or something happened to be on the primer and recoil set it off ??? Maybe I missed it but was he missing a shell or had one been set off? Is that a burn spot on the stock at the front of the mag box?

Only one he is certain that did go off was the round that was chambered. Other rounds fell out with no damage to them. I don’t know what grain etc the round was. He showed this to me today in passing and asked if I knew of a “forensic gunsmith”. I don’t but told him I would consult the green screen and see what I could dig up.

Some really good points and questions brought up though. Thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I can tell you from experience that an overpressure round will do exactly what happened here.

I had a 22-250 do something very similar. It cracked a McMillan stock to the point it had to be replaced, blew the bottom metal completely off, locked the bolt up so tight it wouldn’t open.

Had to remove the barrel to get the bolt open, set back and rechamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

i'd say that a bore obstruction or the wrong ammo are by far the most likely culprits.

Comment

Any pics of the spent case...I would think an obstruction would show evidence in the bbl itself. This stuff spooks me.

Comment

Maybe accidently loaded a 260 Rem into that 25-06?

Comment

PM sent
                          I may be able to find someone who can help you. Browning is owned by the Japanese now, so they might be a bit tricky to work with on a catastrophic failure.

Is there a bulge in the bore anywhere? You may not be able to see it from the outside, but you can shine a light in it, and see a black ring in the bore, and you should be able to feel it too.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                            Are you sure, that box looks old and plenty of people put reloads in factory boxes?

The OP said it was factory ammo so I have to assume so unless he was told wrong by the shooter? Idk

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post
                              PM sent
                              I may be able to find someone who can help you. Browning is owned by the Japanese now, so they might be a bit tricky to work with on a catastrophic failure.
                              Browning's parent company/owner (Herstal Group) is based out of Belgium. They have contracts with Miroku Corp. in Japan to produce shotguns and rifles.

OP, make sure your friend does NOT send the evidence to Browning in Utah as he will never see it again.

He wants someone to review forensics, IMO the ammo is equally liable. Rifles just don't go BOOM unless there's a problem with the ammo or obstruction in barrel. Powder charge and powder composition need to be examined as this could easily be a Federal issue
                              Last edited by Cajun Blake; 11-29-2018, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Looks like overpressure ammo, and/or case head separation. One way for it to happen is a bullet hanging in the rifling when the round is unloaded. Next round goes in and Kaboom. Usually a barrel obstruction in a centerfire splits the barrel.

My brother fired a .308 in his M700 .270. Didn't hurt the rifle at all. Had it inspected by a gunsmith, and x-rayed by a friend in the inspection biz.

Hope we get to find out what happened here. Glad he didn't get hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X