My Mini Hunting Lodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mini Hunting Lodge

Last year (2012) I got on my first lease after just hunting public land the few years before. It's out in the hill country and since I liked to tent camp, I decided to build a tent platform like you would see hiking some thru hiking trails. I build an 8x8 deck and figured I'd turn it into a shanty later on so I could keep the cows from chewing on my tent. At the end of the first season I hadn't improved it past the deck and corner posts.
    Attached Files

So this season, before it started, I decided on whim to go ahead and build out the framing. Actually others in camp decided to copy me and build a full building in one case and another deck in another. I ended up throwing a tarp on for a roof and slept under it with just a bug net. If it rained, I pitched the tent inside.
    Attached Files

Comment

Towards the end of the season I got some donated paint and plywood and put the walls up. Now I really could just sleep in it without worrying about rain. The tarp was holding up well.
      Attached Files

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Then when just when the cold weather arrived, I had time to fabricate some doors. There are two doors to create a breezeway during the hotter months. One door faces the center of camp... the other is the door to the "men's room"
          Attached Files

Comment

Dude, thats super cool.. And your on a lease? What you gonna do if you ever get off of it?

Comment

simple is most always a good thing....wouldn't take much to finish out

Comment

On the last trip out, the family came out and with some help of a new friend/neighbor, we put up a permanent roof. My wife painted it to blend it in more with the environment. Plenty more on the todo list. Need to put up some trim and re-enforce the eaves on the gables with some 2xs. Also need to put flashing to prevent cuts since roof comes down to face level.
                Attached Files

Comment

I like it!!
                  Great job

Comment

Sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                      Dude, thats super cool.. And your on a lease? What you gonna do if you ever get off of it?
                      Everything is put together with screws with the exception of a couple of walls. I used Timberlock structural screws to connect joists, walls, and the roof trusses (i went with a trussed roof. I estimate it could all come down in large peices in the matter of 2-3 hours and hauled out on a 4x8 utility trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
                        simple is most always a good thing....wouldn't take much to finish out
                        I have always been fascinated with little houses and cabins. The simplicity of something small and efficient.

Originally posted by Bro. Bill View Post
                        I like it!!
                        Great job
                        Thanks!

Comment

Wow super nice

Comment

Cozy!

Comment

Classy!!!

Comment

Working...