The official Whiskey (bourbon) thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
    Since I can't find Blanton's to replace the bottle a friend nearly cleaned out when he visited this summer, I am looking for recommendations in that price range. I liked having the Blanton's here for visitors because many recognize the name as a "fancy" bourbon. I have tried many more I like better. Maybe I should just pour something else into the bottle LOL.
    You have any other good bottles you'd consider trading?.. i have a Blanton's.. shoot me a pm

Where you located? Im in N Houston

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
      Results?
      EC Barrel Proof:
      Obviously very hot at 131 proof, but it was a fun one. Hot on the nose, heavy citrus (samatsu/oranges), little bit of sandlewood and oak on the finish. Not a beginners bourbon, but tasty.

Michters Cask Strength:
      Well balanced, lots of caramel, some cherry notes. Some cereal on the finish but not overpowering.

Whistle Pig Single Barrel 10yr (Goody Goody barrel pick):
      My new favorite Rye. This one is the best of any Whistle Pig I have tried.
      It is well balanced, easy on the nose and palate even at 120.5 proof. Caramel/Malt on the palate, cinammon/brown sugar with a nice warm finish. Absolutely delicious.

OF 1910:
      One of the darker bourbons I've tried. The 6-9 months in the heavily charred barrels gives it a deep brown sugar taste on the palate. Tasting and interesting, but a bit harsh for only being 90 proof.

OF 1920:
      My new daily drinker and favorite of the End Row series. Great balance on this one between spice and caramel. Very smooth for being 115 proof. Opens up a bit with a few drops of water, although I prefer neat.

Russels Reserve Rye:
      I've really been enjoying this one - similar notes to the Whistle Pig 10yr above with a little more cereal on the palate.

Russels Bourbon:
      Nothing special to me. It's not a bad bourbon, but just nothing special imo.

Clyde Mays Bourbon:
      Give to your nearest frat house.

Clyde Mays Blended Whiskey:

They say they finish these in different barrels to infuse apple into them, but if you read the label it actually has apple concentrate added. Additionally, they claim that they are from Alabama but they get their distillate from Florida, per the label. If all the false advertising wasn't enough to steer me away, the lack of flavor or anything worthwhile in their line up will do that.

1792 Nasa Store Pick:

Interesting and fun one. Hot on the palate (open with a little water), fairly dry, anise/leather come out on the palate, caramel/black pepper finish.

Heavens Door Double Barrel:

I wasn't overly impressed for the price point. It is a good blended whiskey, but $43 good, I would put this more in the $20 range.

Comment

Pour JJ Bowman into the Blanton’s bottle. It’s better than Blanton’s anyway.
        I have actually been trying to find that. I have some Elijah Craig and Colonel Taylor (both the small batch) that I like better than Blanton's to be honest. Most "casual" bourbon drinkers don't know those names though. I am sure I am putting too much though into it. I just like offering friends good stuff when they visit, or at least what they think is good .

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
        You have any other good bottles you'd consider trading?.. i have a Blanton's.. shoot me a pm

Where you located? Im in N Houston

I don't, not much of a collector, I usually buy a bottle drink about half, get bored and buy another to try, and then eventually go back and finish the first one haha. I am too far anyway, Springtown is up by Fort Worth. Thanks for the offer though!

Comment

Big EHT fan. Looking forward to opening the barrel proof. Of all the ones I have tried, the 4G is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big EHT fan. Looking forward to opening the barrel proof. Of all the ones I have tried, the 4G is my favorite.

Nice family photo. Do you plan on going on secondary markets and completing the rest of the collection?
            Some of the secondary prices are crazy for the Old Fashioned Sour Mash, Warehouse C Tornado Surviving, Cured Oak, and Seasoned Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by NDN98 View Post
              Nice family photo. Do you plan on going on secondary markets and completing the rest of the collection?
              Some of the secondary prices are crazy for the Old Fashioned Sour Mash, Warehouse C Tornado Surviving, Cured Oak, and Seasoned Wood.
              I would love to have those, but I refuse to pay secondary. Maybe someday I’ll work some trades.

Comment

Great collection!

Comment

Heck of a score to kick off the Thanksgiving weekend!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I got two of them!

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post

Heck yeah! Congrats

Comment

Niiiice!!

Comment

Got this single barrel today also...

Comment

Got this single barrel today also...

Thats cool.. didn't know about that one

Comment

Score!

Comment

I also got lucky with a 1.75 L Weller 12 and the recently released Old Ezra 7 Barrel Strength, which has been getting good reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                X