6.5 grendel for deer hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
    I've shot 3 deer and 2 pigs with 123gr SSTs. All DRT. It's my go to for the hill country deer I hunt, and will likely be what my kids shoot when they are of age.

MZ
    Did the exact same last year. My go to gun if I'm not bow hunting. Usually that's when my younger kids are with me.

Comment

Shot plenty of critters with it. It’ll do just fine on deer.

Comment

I have killed several deer and hogs with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s a hammer on animals but a kitten on the shoulder especially with a suppressor.

Do it.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Have shot several hogs and 2 javelina last year. No deer. But all hogs and javelina DRT.
            Javelina shot at 300+ yards. Hogs 150-200 yards. Shooting hornady black 123gr eld.

Comment

I’ve been shooting a Grendel since 2007 when Ammo choices were extremely limited. I’ve killed at least 100 animals with it including deer, pigs and coyotes.

Don’t use a Barnes bullet in it, it doesn’t have the velocity. But the Federal Fusion does good work all they way around. If you handload that opens up even more options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Dropped an 8 pt last year at about 100 yards only deer I've shot with mine.
                50+ hogs most dont move none went more than 20 steps

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t see why not. I watched a few videos of a grendel dumping a full grown nilgai bull, shoot what works for him. ����

Comment

The Grendel is an amazing gun. Paired with Hornady SST.
                    Doe @ 67 yards
                    Spike @ 42 yards
                    Hog @ 6 yards
                    His big buck @ 94 yards
                    My buck @ 107 yards

The kick isn't much more that 5.56 when paired in AR format with a recoil pad.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I love mine and so does my daughter

Started with .223 wylde and still shoots it more. I just swap uppers and she has no clue it’s a different gun. Lol

Mine and 13 of our groups other 14 Grendel won’t shoot SST’s better than 9” @ 100. The BLACK ammo shoots good in all.... but every animal I’ve shot the bullet came apart on impact. All recovered and all were severely fragmented with only 1 exit... and it had 3 exits with 1 entrance

Fusion shoot best for off shelf ammunition and I’m getting pass through and good holes on hogs. It’s my #1 currently

Comment

I think the federal fusion suggestion was a good one, the SST tends to splatter and you often won't get a good exit. Grendel is considered marginal but nothing will go far with .264" holes put through both their lungs, so with reasonable placement it should do the job.

Comment

We have 3 on our lease, and have found that they are amazing for kids. Several deer and countless pigs, with great results. I built it for my son, but I grab it every time I get in the truck to go do stuff. I’ve shot dozens of pigs from dozens of angles, and the bullet always does what it should. My son put one mid/low shoulder on a mature buck and it went 20 yards. I have absolute confidence in the 123 SSTs inside 200.

In 3 years we havnt had one animal get away that was shot by the kids, and it’s proved to be a great all purpose round to 200yds.

Comment

Shoot it all day at deer. My son has on and has shot Fallow, Whitetail, Blackbuck, hogs, turkey Sika, Audad, and the biggest Stag taken on our place. Ammo is Hornady Black.

Comment

I love my Grendel I’ve killed whitetail and axis with both the fusion and hot aft black eld. Both perform great with the fusion shooting better for me. I’m not a fan of SST projectiles in any caliber I’ve shot them in.

Comment

Working...
                              X