Bow Blow Up? What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bow Blow Up? What happened?

So......got my 2019 license in the mail. Been watching elk bowhunts on TV. Getting that hunting feeling. Decided I would go outside and sling a few arrows. Took my first shot and everything was fine. Drew for the second time and my arrow fell off the rest. I started to let down and was almost all the way down when I hear a sound like a guitar being strummed and my bow came apart in my hand. Luckily I wasn't hurt. I have no idea what happened. I don't think I hit the release but who knows. I can't see any damage to the bow. The string seems like it's 6-8" longer than it should be but I don't have a press to verify that. Any guesses on what happened?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Derailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff995 View Post
      Derailed it.
      Sounds about right

Comment

How did your arrow fall off the rest?
        Dont need th as t happening very often

Comment

How long has it been since you restrung it ? Something probably rolled the string off of the cam . I’m sure your bow is fine.

Comment

yes sir - pulled it sideways off the cam

Comment

wow. all the busted bow threads lately. I went ahead and had mine restrung and tuned today at West Houston Archery.

Comment

Almost 100% sure it rolled off the cam. Probably had it torqued a bit when you were letting it down. I'm sure the bow is fine. You need to restring it with new string and sling some more arrows.

Comment

Dang Jon that sucks man and im sorry to see this. My son never had an issue at all with that bow and we got it on here from UncleBubba. We had that longer draw cam on it, the black one which was installed by Texas Archery. What shop put the original cam back on after you got it? I notice the camo cam back on it which is the shorter draw cam. Hopefully it only needs a new string and no damage to the bow.

Comment

Well I am glad it ain't toast. I have kept the Mathews branded rest on there. I need to drop a QAD on it and be done. Looks like the strings are getting replaced this year anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                      Dang Jon that sucks man and im sorry to see this. My son never had an issue at all with that bow and we got it on here from UncleBubba. We had that longer draw cam on it, the black one which was installed by Texas Archery. What shop put the original cam back on after you got it? I notice the camo cam back on it which is the shorter draw cam. Hopefully it only needs a new string and no damage to the bow.

The day I bought it I had the guys at Gander change it out. (Those guys were down kind of special). I ended up taking it to Live Oak Archery in Bryan and they checked it over and said it was all good but tried to sell me new strings. Had it with me in Austin and went to Archery Country and they said I had another season or so left in the strings. I shot it a bunch getting ready for that bear hunt and then smoked that little pig when I got back. Honestly tonight was the first night I have touched it since.

I hope I can save it. It is a smooth shooting bow.

Comment

I had a similar experience several years ago. Darndest thing I'd ever experienced. I was at full draw, the all of a sudden..................nothing. I was deathly afraid to let down, not knowing what was fixing to happen next, but there was no tension on the string or cables at all.........none. It ended up being a bad bearing on the lower cam. How to explain it, or how it happened at that moment, is still a mystery to me, and I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't happened to me.

Comment

So took it to the Bow Doctor today. No damage other than strings which were due to be replaced. Going to upgrade to a ripcord and hopefully have it back in hand by the 15th.

Comment

P
                            Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                            So took it to the Bow Doctor today. No damage other than strings which were due to be replaced. Going to upgrade to a ripcord and hopefully have it back in hand by the 15th.
                            Left handed bow?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                              Thats good news sir, glad there was no damage to the cams or limbs. Get it fixed up and kill some critters! Good luck this season

Comment

Working...
                              X