Steel Strength Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Strength Question

Been a while since posting anything on here, but I know there's a lot of smart folks on here, so I knew this would be a good spot to ask this question.

We are looking at building a 20-24' trailer, similar to a Big Bend brand trailer. I know some people who have built similar trailers with a tube frame "washout" floor, as opposed to an angle iron frame, and they said they used 2x4x1/4 wall tubing. That just seems a bit overkill to me, but Im no engineer. I was wondering how a 24' joint of 2x4x3/16, or even wall, rectangular tubing would compare strength wise to the 3/8" thick angle used by many stock trailer manufacturers. The floor will be cross braced with rec. tubing every 4', and the cage will likely be plated using 16g plate up to about 24-36", with all 11g bracing.

Would the 3/6 wall tube be strong enough?

Would it be better to use 4" channel iron?

I would use the channel iron instead of the tubing. Tubing always seems to rust out from the inside. If you turn the tubing cup outward then your cross braces can be square cut. Also remember that any thing above the frame also strengthens the frame as well actually becoming part of it. I would put the cross braces 2' apart instead of 4'. It will make your decking last a lot longer and be much stronger.

Comment

Working...
    X