Instinct or learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instinct or learned

Yesterday we did a growing season burn on about 39 Acres if native grass. Live in Red River County and I doubt very few people burn anymore. Over 20 Hawks and Kestrels showed up to feast. Wild how they know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do the same thing when the tractor comes to mow the pasture.
    Im sure following the tractor is a learned trait but the staying out in front of the fire is probably instinctual

Comment

Maybe they saw the smoke from miles away. Their vision is crazy

These hawks start fires to flush out food. Birds are pretty smart: https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.n...mals-australia

Comment

At my hog hunting spot when I show up in my truck the buzzards come and wait for breakfast it seems.

Comment

They gather in big groups while farmers are out in a field too. Especially if they're plowing up a field. I used to go on the tractor and combine with my Uncle when I was a kid and I remember watching those hawks and stuff swoop down and catch baby rabbits,rats and mice.

In that case I'd have to say that's learned. Instinct is something you're born with. My brother has had a few small coyotes stay close to the tractor when he was farming. I suppose for the same reason.
          Last edited by okrattler; 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Yep, like OKRattler said they even learn that when you are running a one-way to (goes in ever shrinking concentric circles) that when you get down to the very end a whole fields worth of critters will come flushing out so they just wait until you are finishing up the field.

Comment

I sent you my address.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                Maybe they saw the smoke from miles away. Their vision is crazy

These hawks start fires to flush out food. Birds are pretty smart: https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay.n...mals-australia
                This is why I love TBH. So interesting. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X