Granite sealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Granite sealer

I need to seal our granite countertops. Any recommendations for a sealant?

Minwax & 000 steel wool. Honestly, unless its white no real need to lose any sleep over it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not all sealants are created equally. There are some sealants that are guaranteed to last for 20 years. There are also some sealants that only last 6(ish) months.

Comment

what does sealant do? is it more like a wax on the surface. Granite has almost no porosity. I have had mine for about 12 years and it seems the same as when we bought it. I only clean it w soap, water, and a rag. I have heard people mention sealing it, I never really understood what that is

Comment

I haven't ever sealed ours. do I need to? its a pretty light color

Comment

What color is it? Can u post a pic?

Comment

C P R, Granite Division Inc. Tyler TX. I do it twice a year.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                C P R, Granite Division Inc. Tyler TX. I do it twice a year.
                I have heard people say they do it....but why do you do it, what does it do to the granite? that Is what I don't understand. guess I need to talk to google, maybe it is something I need to do!

Comment

I’m ignorant here. I’m only going by what our builder suggested.

Originally posted by danderson77808 View Post
                  What color is it? Can u post a pic?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	3879497D-67D3-4576-A96F-FD54D7000391.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	24591881

Comment

For most polished granites we recommend laticrete stonetech enhancer pro. Its main job is to prevent staining, but it also helps the counters look "new". Its pretty simple. Wipe it on, let it sit, wipe off residue. They also make a really good daily cleaner called revitalizer. We use and recommend the entire stonetech line. They sell them on amazon

Comment

That color should be pretty low maintenece. Watch your water residue around the faucet. If u get calcium build up scrape it off with a razor blade then hit with the enhancer pro

Comment

You cant hurt your counters by sealing them too much. Stonetech will recommend once every 6 years. I tell my customers its good practice to hit it once a year

Comment

Good tip on the hard water. We live in West Texas and have very mineral heavy water. It fills the counter tops at the base of every faucet.

This the stuff, right?
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	9A3D728B-FFE7-4BAC-B302-93F6CDA4721A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	24591883

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                            what does sealant do? is it more like a wax on the surface. Granite has almost no porosity. I have had mine for about 12 years and it seems the same as when we bought it. I only clean it w soap, water, and a rag. I have heard people mention sealing it, I never really understood what that is
                            If you don't seal it every year which literally takes about 15 min for a kitchen then the capillary effect will actually pull stains into the pores - we know this because we will mix a poultice to pull the stains back out - All granite has porosity all granite is also immune to UV rays - all marble is effected by UV light and a sealer will help block this. The Roman Coliseum was mind blowing with color until it all went pale!

Comment

Granite is porous. That is why you don't see it in food service kitchens. I used Stonetech Heavy Duty Stone Sealer on Mine. I only use All Purpose Tile and Stone Cleaner too. It is a neutral pH cleaner. Acidic and Alkaline cleaners will remove the sealer. Everyone thinks granite is non porous because it has the smooth polished finish. Here is a link to some great information. https://laticrete.com/tile-and-stone...ance/stonetech.

Comment

Working...
                              X