How to build a ranch the right way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to build a ranch the right way

In 1969, a San Antonio fried-chicken tycoon was struck by a life-changing idea: He would find, buy, and heal “the sorriest piece of land in the Hill Country.” Now celebrating its 50th anniversary, the Bamberger Ranch Preserve sprawls across 5,500 acres of grassy hills and wildflower meadows in Blanco County. When visitors arrive May 5 for the annual family day and picnic, they will repeatedly drive across a perennial stream that cascades through a series of waterfalls and d Read More >

Interesting read! Thanks for posting

Comment

There's a book about the BAmberger called Water From Stone if you are into land management it is a good read.

Comment

I've killed a pile of deer on the Bamberger. Helped Leroy swap out his spare last weekend after running over a shed in the oryx pasture near ponchos house. Ranch biologist is a great guy as well......

Comment

Cool read

Comment

Cool story for sure.

Comment

That’s cool!

Comment

Cool read and project.

Comment

I wish Texas would stop wasting money on alt energy and instead focus on cedar tree removal.

Just imagine having rivers and streams flowing again like they use to. Which BTW would add up to a HUGE increase in hydro electricity.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    I wish Texas would stop wasting money on alt energy and instead focus on cedar tree removal.

Just imagine having rivers and streams flowing again like they use to. Which BTW would add up to a HUGE increase in hydro electricity.
                    Every time I drive by a cedar infested place, I think the same thing. They suck so much water, there is no telling how things would look if they were reduced by about 90 percent.

Comment

I have had the pleasure of staying on that ranch a few times and it is simply amazing what he has done with the place.

Comment

Place looks awesome. If I win the lotto it'd be fun to throw money at projects like this.

Comment

Awesome article thank you for sharing!!

Wish more of the outrageously wealthy peeps would give back in this way instead of lecturing us on the use of fossil fuels.

Comment

If only more landowners could see this, great read by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                              Every time I drive by a cedar infested place, I think the same thing. They suck so much water, there is no telling how things would look if they were reduced by about 90 percent.
                              Its true that Cedar trees do utilize a lot of water but the big waste is that their thick canopies prevent the water from ever hitting the ground. That is where they rob the water from other plants and our groundwater.

Comment

Working...
                              X