Central AC vs Split Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central AC vs Split Leg

AC folks or anyone have any input on the different setups? Pros and cons of both? This is a new build and have a couple of bids and different input and reasons.

Split leg?

Comment

you talking about a a/c split system?

Comment

Iam wondering that also

Comment

I have one unit and 2 different thermostats

Comment

When we built a place in Okie land central A/C was impossible due to the vaulted ceiling. Put in 3 split systems. Two small units in each bedroom and a larger unit to heat/cool the main living area/kitchen etc. I like em because you don't have heat/cool the whole house, just areas you are in plus some people sleep in cold some in hot so each bedroom can be adjusted to the comfort of the occupant.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
              Split leg?
              I thought I was behind the times or something. Never heard of split leg in ac world but sounds interesting

Comment

Mini split with a unit in several rooms. Mitsubishi and others, have single outside units, which run multiple inside units. Gives you climate control in several locations, Cool down a bedroom, as opposed to the whole house, no ductwork to worry about, no giant unit in your attic etc..
                I've never stacked them in anything over about 2500 sqft though. Not a A/C guy, but I have installed dozens of mini split systems, and people love em.

Comment

I bet those split leg units are expensive If you are talking about a mini split, they are more expensive compared to conventional central AC units. I had both quoted for our cabin at the deer camp. Ended up a conventional unit because of the cost and because I can work on it to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                    Mini split with a unit in several rooms. Mitsubishi and others, have single outside units, which run multiple inside units. Gives you climate control in several locations, Cool down a bedroom, as opposed to the whole house, no ductwork to worry about, no giant unit in your attic etc..
                    I've never stacked them in anything over about 2500 sqft though. Not a A/C guy, but I have installed dozens of mini split systems, and people love em.
                    I just took one of these systems out of a guys lake house and installed a complete variable speed system with modulating dampers. Going on year now and he said he wish he would have done it sooner. The multi zone mini split set up he said would never keep up in all the rooms. I like the idea of what they have just not the for the larger homes.

Comment

I put a mini split in my garage and it rocks! I have central in the house though.

Comment

Conventional central air all the way!

Ductless systems are nice when they are installed properly and working properly. Large multi-zone ductless setups have a lot that can go wrong. They are also very maintenance-intensive, as the blower wheels are prone to getting dirty as well as the drain pans. And there’s the issue of parts availability. Many brands I’ve worked on involved waiting weeks for parts to come out of Japan.
                        Any good AC guy should have 90% of the parts that commonly fail on a conventional central system on his service truck at all times.

The only place I’m cool with mini splits are the single-zone applications, or where the construction of a home doesn’t allow for central air to be retrofitted in, like the cabin mentioned above.

Comment

Air filtration is pitiful on the mini splits. To me, well filtered air is paramount for indoor air quality. Some are ver y efficient power wise.

Comment

my house is under construction now, we are going with the mini split system,,, more energy efficient, more control of individual rooms,, I can turn the bedroom on and everything else off, I can keep the grand kids bedroom and play rooms at different temps, the living room can be adjusted for whatever and the bedrooms can be warmer or colder,,, all of my lines drain straight outside, no pans,,,,, yes they cost a bit more but when you consider that is really the only down side. the up side of course is room control,,, and savings of not running every room when I don't want to

my neighbor is my ac man and friend of 20 years, I figured since he was putting them in his own house it was an easy choice,, and his central unit was working just fine

Comment

I'm suspecting that "Springcreek" is considering a system with a zone controlled by a separate tstat along with the main living areas given a priority over a specified secondary living space. If so, this is normally more cost effective vs having separate HVAC units.

Don't know why a contractor or builder referred to this as a "split" if this is the case.

Comment

Working...
                              X