Help me pick my new 300 Win Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick my new 300 Win Mag

Thank you in advance for all the suggestions!

I’m currently in the market for a 300 Win mag. Main use for hunting deer but have an Aoudad hunt planed and would use for Elk, etc down the road. Looking for tradition bolt action setup, 26” barrel, 1:10 twist or less, synthetic stock, good value, and would love to stay under $700 (for just the rifle).

Currently looking at:
    Remington 700 variants
    Tikka T3X (love the gun and feel but don’t like that barrel is 24” with 1:11 twist)
    Weatherby Vanguard
    Browning X bolt stalker

Looking for some good suggestions/ favorites/ additional rifles/manufacturers that you like

Take a look at Bergara, it’s the Remington 700 variant. I haven’t looked at their 300wm so not sure on the barrel and stuff. But I own 4 other rifles from them and all shoot lights out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hate to add another choice but I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my 300 win mag in browning xbolt western hunter. It's a little over your $700 budget but well worth it.

Also give serious consideration to the weatherby vanguard wilderness

Comment

I have an xbolt stalker in 30-06. It's my primary hunting rifle and it has been great. My only regret is not buying the Hells Canyon Speed version for the upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
          Take a look at Bergara, it’s the Remington 700 variant. I haven’t looked at their 300wm so not sure on the barrel and stuff. But I own 4 other rifles from them and all shoot lights out!

Yep. Scratch the Remington off your list, and replace it with the Bergara. Plenty of good Remingtons still out there, but plenty of bad ones as well. No point in taking that chance when there are so many making great rifles for the same money. You can’t go wrong with Bergara if it fits the role you need it to.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            Yep. Scratch the Remington off your list, and replace it with the Bergara. Plenty of good Remingtons still out there, but plenty of bad ones as well. No point in taking that chance when there are so many making great rifles for the same money. You can’t go wrong with Bergara if it fits the role you need it to.

Agreed! Here is my Bergara in 6.5 and I am by no means a great shot, but this gun makes me look like one. The target is from 300 yards. Can’t complain with a factory gun that does that.

Comment

have u looked at the remington 5R in 300WM... the stock fits me really well and seems to pattern really well(from what iv read). its next on my buy list

Comment

Ruger #1

Shorter overall gun length without sacrificing barrel length. Great combination for hunting and carry

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post

Thank for the Bergara rec’s initial impressions look nice! I’ll be taking a deeper look. Some online forums mention there customer service not being great, any experience with that?

Comment

Originally posted by gvanwage View Post
                    Thank for the Bergara rec’s initial impressions look nice! I’ll be taking a deeper look. Some online forums mention there customer service not being great, any experience with that?

I had one small issue where the scope mount holes weren’t drilled deep enough. Sent it in and had it back in 4 days. They have answered all my questions I’ve had. No complaints from me

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
                      I have an xbolt stalker in 30-06. It's my primary hunting rifle and it has been great. My only regret is not buying the Hells Canyon Speed version for the upgrades.
                      Ya, the Hells canyon looks really nice, from your research are there any functional differences from the stalker? Looks the same to me other than a cool looking stock and cerakote

Comment

I personally know a large portion of the company from the CEO down. They are excellent in the customer service department, and stand behind their product 100%. I can usually get in touch with someone pretty quickly if you ever do have an issue.

Comment

Ya, the Hells canyon looks really nice, from your research are there any functional differences from the stalker? Looks the same to me other than a cool looking stock and cerakote
                          Functional addition is the muzzle brake, which you may wish you had on a 300 Win Mag.

Comment

I love my Remington 700 XCR in 300 but if not that one I'd be looking hard at the Bergara 100%.

Comment

I got a Fierce 300WM, and it shoots well. If I had to do it again I'd have APR make me a custom though.

Comment

Working...
                              X