Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bare Shaft or Fletched Arrow Paper Tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bare Shaft or Fletched Arrow Paper Tuning?

I think this is a chicken and the egg type of question, which one comes first?

So I have a new bow I just set up and am about to start tuning. I also am going with new arrows that I haven’t fletched yet.

My question for some of you experts is the process of tuning my bow. Should I just paper tune with bare shafts since none other f them are fletcher yet?

Before I fletch my arrows I want to nock tune each one to locate the spine, but my bow isn’t tuned, so not sure if I’ll be able to do this now or later after the bow is set up?

Any advice?

When nothing is tuned...

Find the weak plane of the arrow shaft and start with it in either the up or down position; IOW, inline with the string. Shoot all the shafts and find one that is an average of the most consistent. For example, you have 8 shafts with a low left tear, 2 with a high tear and 2 with right tear; use one of the 8 shafts with a low left tear for the next step.

Using that one shaft, bareshaft tune the bow; do not change the arrow's orientation.

Once bow is tuned, then bareshaft all shafts through paper to tune the arrows. Looking for same hole on each shaft.

Even though we used an average arrow at the beginning doesn't mean we are done with bow tuning; there is still a chance that the bow will need to be tweaked.

An example would be if the majority of the arrows were all shooting just a tad tail high and arrow orientation does not make it better; you will need to adjust the bow to get clean tears.

Remember, we are dealing with averages here, whatever the most arrows are doing is what counts. If you have a clean hole with three arrows but nine arrows are high left, you need to tune for high left to clean the flight.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
        When nothing is tuned...

Find the weak plane of the arrow shaft and start with it in either the up or down position; IOW, inline with the string. Shoot all the shafts and find one that is an average of the most consistent. For example, you have 8 shafts with a low left tear, 2 with a high tear and 2 with right tear; use one of the 8 shafts with a low left tear for the next step.

Using that one shaft, bareshaft tune the bow; do not change the arrow's orientation.

Once bow is tuned, then bareshaft all shafts through paper to tune the arrows. Looking for same hole on each shaft.

Even though we used an average arrow at the beginning doesn't mean we are done with bow tuning; there is still a chance that the bow will need to be tweaked.

An example would be if the majority of the arrows were all shooting just a tad tail high and arrow orientation does not make it better; you will need to adjust the bow to get clean tears.

Remember, we are dealing with averages here, whatever the most arrows are doing is what counts. If you have a clean hole with three arrows but nine arrows are high left, you need to tune for high left to clean the flight.
        Yep will said, fletched paper is a very very rough tune. Bareshaft paper tuning at multiple distances is the way to go. Check back in 5 years though, might be a better way

Comment

Working...
        X