Recaptured lost arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recaptured lost arrow

Made my day. Super stoked to get my Abowyer Brown Bear broadhead back. Sure as heck didnt want to find it with my mower blade or tire.

End of last year archery season I shot on an orchard tree munching doe and had a deflection...full miss. I lost the arrow in the grass...until today.

Its time to change fletching colors. The orange fletchings Ive been using is too common a natural color...it blends in. Same with the red.

I relaid the arrow for the pic of native vegetation in comparison with my fletchings

Im thinking pink. Apparently percieved by cervids in the same color spectrum stimuli as red. Unnatural enough unless Im shootin in a petunia patch.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:16 AM.

I personally have always liked to have at least one white vane, my favorite are the bohning blazer vanes with tiger stripe patern

Comment

White is usually pretty easy to see I have used bright orange before but I think white is the best

Comment

Not sure the Blazers would shoot well off the shelf. Might try the fluorescent green feathers.

Gary

Comment

I’ve had good luck with bright blue. Doesn’t blend in with anything normally found in nature.

Comment

So glad your prodigal projectile has returned to the fold!

Surprised you don't like the orange fletch, though. That's what I mainly use, along with red, but also with a white index fletch. Just stay away from blue, however, because -- while easy to spot by us, apparently deer really zoom in on that part of the color spectrum. (If you believe those Georgia Wildlife scientists.)

Comment

Ive always wondered about critters pickinnup the white outward cock vane during a stalk and at draw.

Jerp...I like the idea...not common except for blue jays and bluebirds...saw my first bluebird on the property a week ago...now the blue bonnets are bloomin I think Id worry more about blue fletchings than white after seeing the UGA researcher video that TT mentioned.

TT...orange is dang hard for me to pick up.

Something Ive noticed that is a real nice difference between Blazer/synthetic vanes and feather fletchings is the illuminescence under blacklight at night. I might coat whatever the new fletchings are (...and/or nock end of shaft) in some infrared irridescent/fluorescent somethingerrother spray. Any further suggestions?

Gracias a Todo.

Comment

Skinned the white cock from being buried in the grass and still shoots sexy at 9yds.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Re color combo's, I shoot a white cap and chartreuse or lime fletching. That combo stands out better than anything but hot pink over white in my opinion. I would already be team Pink, but I have a bunch of extra fletching still to use up.

Comment

I've been shooting either White or Pink wraps with Pink Natural Barred feathers. Nothing I have ever seen in the woods is Pink.

Comment

My favorite is chartreuse, but hot pink works well too! The chartreuse glows to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        I’ve had good luck with bright blue. Doesn’t blend in with anything normally found in nature.
                        This makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                        X