Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone replace tension springs on garage door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Go Pokes View Post
    I just did my own install. There is a new center piece you can buy that winds both springs at the same time with a drill. Had the springs tensioned in about 2 minutes. Easy and safe way to do it over the old method.
    I would to know more about that. Website?

Comment

Google Clopay EZ Set. It looks like Home Depot may sell them. There looks to be an EZ Ratchet system, as well.

cricman

Comment

S3 Spring Winder for Garage Door Torsion Springs

this is the one that came with my door. Mounts where your center bracket would and the two springs attach to this. Works really great.

Comment

Anyone have experience with internal springs on a 10' roll up?

Can they be replaced?

Does the door have to come down to do it?

Anyone in Wise County do it?

Comment

I finished mine on Saturday. I took my time with each step and it was fairly easy. The one thing to note is the torsion rods they sent were really short. They barely reached the top rail. I had a pair from somewhere that were closer to 24" and that made a big difference. The amount of tension was a lot less than I was expecting from all the stories you read. I would do it again if I need to.

Comment

HERE IS A TIP.... 4 QTR TURNS ON THE SPRING PER HOW MANY SECTIONS ARE ON THE GARAGE DOOR. SO IF YOU HAVE A 16 x 7 GARAGE DOOR THAT HAS 4 SECTIONS = 28 QTR TURNS ON THE SPRING WHEN YOU ARE WINDING UP THE SPRINGS.

Comment

Originally posted by 2BigMethod View Post
                HERE IS A TIP.... 4 QTR TURNS ON THE SPRING PER HOW MANY SECTIONS ARE ON THE GARAGE DOOR. SO IF YOU HAVE A 16 x 7 GARAGE DOOR THAT HAS 4 SECTIONS = 28 QTR TURNS ON THE SPRING WHEN YOU ARE WINDING UP THE SPRINGS.
                You are correct. 28 1/4 turns on each spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
                  You are correct. 28 1/4 turns on each spring.
                  Thats a good starting point. When you get them installed unhook the opener and raise the door by hand. It should raise easily with one hand and hold itself in the header. If not when your opener pulls it all the way up you can get slack in the cables and if they slip off the drum you'll have another problem all together. I found 30 qtr turns is about right for most doors. I was in the business for 15 years.

Comment

I always paint a line down the spring to count

Comment

Personally, I'm not risking an injury for that big ole spring. I'd call the trained pros on that one!

Comment

always had pro door guys replace mine. My limbs and eyes are needed for other things.

Comment

Working...
                        X