No announcement yet.

Releases, releases everywhere!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased the 3 finger Blackout from Bass Pro today. I had hoped to find something to try out without having to invest a lot. I realize that in most everything, you get what you pay for and a cheap release will not feel as good as a higher quality version.. Usually..
    I have close to 5 dozen shots this evening and really like the feel of the release so far.
    Just for clarification. I was not fighting target panic or punching the index. BUT I had hoped for something that would help me hold a better more steady form. Even though I regularly shoot a longbow, I still draw off my forearms, and tend to hold weight at the shoulder and arms. I "think" this release is really helping me get the draw into my back better, which does create a more stable follow through.
    I chipped a couple nocks this evening so I believe things are working out nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
      No wanting to hijack the thread, but if your not having problems using an index/ caliper style release are there any real benefits to using the thumb. I have been curious about them for a while, but not having issues with my current caliper.
      CSR, why are you going to one?
      Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
      Just for clarification. I was not fighting target panic or punching the index. BUT I had hoped for something that would help me hold a better more steady form. Even though I regularly shoot a longbow, I still draw off my forearms, and tend to hold weight at the shoulder and arms. I "think" this release is really helping me get the draw into my back better, which does create a more stable follow through.
      I chipped a couple nocks this evening so I believe things are working out nicely.
      You answered your own question, and it's a good one. The reason to switch to a hand held release are many, but more often than not people are looking to "up their game"; for one reason or another.

I know plenty of people who love and shoot their index finger releases and they neither have problems nor do they want to "shoot better". They can shoot well enough for what they do and they are happy with that.

Having said that, there are some real benefits to shooting a back tension style release, or even an index finger release using back tension. IMHO, it is easier to learn to shoot a handheld release using back tension than it is an index finger using back tension; they are designed for that after all.

Comment

Another benefit on handheld releases is shoulder stability. There’s an odd feedback where when you exert a forceful grip your rotator cuffs start to stiffen up to absorb load. It’s a nice tip I learned this past month. With a handheld it’s a default, but you can do same thing with an index finger release by gripping it firmly during draw. You’d almost think the engineer that designed all this had a clue

Comment

Because I know someone is going to ask, here’s a non Instagram link about it

We have a special guest post for you! Aaron Swanson is a physical therapist in New York City.  He has a strong interest in movement patterns and the integration of performance training into his daily practice, and is a trained kettlebell expert!  We’re hoping to persuade him to join our Voices team so if you’d like to hear … Continue reading

Comment

I have a nock 2 it and a wise choice. Both great releases just depends if you want 2,3,4 finger release

Comment

Silverback all the way. Tried the nock 2 it, Stan blackjack, HBC, and the Scott advantage. There I just something about the silverback/Carter evolution.

Comment

Hunting with a back tension release seems near impossible although I’ve never shot one. This true?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyC View Post
                  Hunting with a back tension release seems near impossible although I’ve never shot one. This true?
                  Not true at all, there are many people who hunt with back tension releases very successfully.

I use both a thumb trigger and hinge while hunting. I use a yield/rotation firing engine and it works great.

Comment

I made the switch last year from tru fire hard core to the blackout 3 finger (made by tru fire) love it

Comment

If you shoot a back tension enough, hunting with one is no big deal. You'll learn your back wall and learn how to preload the release on the back wall for a quicker shot execution if the situation presents itself.

Comment

Got this SEAR back tension from Rustic Sportsman for $129 + free shipping. Best price I could find.

https://www.rusticsportsman.com/prod...d-release-btr/

Comment

That looks like a good release. Cheaper ones have several issues, basically, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                          X