Small engine repair guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small engine repair guys

I have a 2014 Kawasaki mule 4010 , I’ve been having some excessive blow by and it’s causing it to smoke . I went ahead and pulled the heads on the engine and noticed some side to side movement from the pistons inside the cylinder walls . I know there should be some movement on a cold engine to allow for expansion when the engine heats up . I have 2 videos I could share but I’m not sure how to post videos , I could send via email or text .
    Any help is appreciated .

don't sound good

No expert here but I'm guessing over bore and new piston/rings at minimum

Hope I am wrong and it is an easy and cheap fix

Comment

i think that movement should be very minimal as in almost none.

Comment

How’s the cylinder look?

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
          i think that movement should be very minimal as in almost none.

This.. piston to cylinder clearance is measured in thousandths of an inch, average.0025-.004 depending on manufacturers specs. If you have as much play as it sounds like, a bore and over sized pistons are in order... if the rings a just shot and the cylinder is ok, honing and new rings should fix you up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I looked at the video.
            I have seen small engines that had that much play. Whether that's excessive or not, I don't know. A service manual should give you the specs you are looking for. I'll call a couple of people tomorrow that work on those machines and see what their thoughts are.

By chance did you change from a conventional oil to a synthetic and then the blowby started?

Comment

Working...
            X