Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be waiting for the story

Comment

Well I can say one thing, its a long haul from Longview to where we hunted on the King Ranch! It was a fun trip even though two of the three of did not have any shot opportunities. I made two new friends and got to hunt on a legendary ranch. One of the other gentlemen (JamesL) killed a nice bull with his compound bow at a water hole but I'll let him tell that story. We hunted out of Millennium ladder stands (pretty comfortable) overlooking trails at fence crossings and also overlooking water holes. Until I got down there, I didn't realize that these beasts prefer to crawl under a fence than go over it. They can make a mess of a stout fence pretty easily! The weather, while pleasant, was not conducive to hunting the water holes (per the guide). Apparently, it is a tactic better used during the hotter weather. Our guide was a very knowledgeable fellow. He is the fifth generation of his family to live and work on the ranch and was able to give us a good bit of information about ranch history. We saw nilgai every time that we drove out to the hunting areas and attempted a couple of stalks but were unsuccessful. They are certainly impressive animals and it would be great to take one with trad gear. I believe it is something that can be done. There were trails and dung piles everywhere. Nilgai are grazers and will often be seen out in the wide open like cattle but also inhabit the oak motts. There are tons of oaks and mesquites where we were hunting and it amazed me how sandy the soil was. We did see a huge amount of whitetail deer and turkey, a few javelina, coyote, and hogs, some waterbuck, and a small herd of gazelle that stayed around the church. Wonderful folks for sure, those living and working the ranch. There's a good possibility that I'll get to go back for another chance but if not, it was a blessing to enjoy some quality time with great companions hunting a noble animal on a majestic piece of Gods creation!! I look forward to trying it again!! Sorry, no pics to share this time but I promise to do better next trip!! Thank you all for the well wishes,
      eastex56.

Comment

Hope you get one next time James. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I’d love to shoot one with my longbow!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I would love to get a group of trad archers together for a trip down there again. Let me know if any of y'all are interested and maybe we can set up something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              I’d love to shoot one with my longbow!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Or recurve.

Gary

Comment

Let me know

Comment

Originally posted by eastex56 View Post
                  I would love to get a group of trad archers together for a trip down there again. Let me know if any of y'all are interested and maybe we can set up something.
                  Just read your " great" post.
                  Ill go any time.

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk

Comment

eastex what was cost? i am close corpus. thanks

Comment

Comment

Good write up. Better luck next time. Thanks for sharing eastex56.

Im in for a nilgai hunt at the King Ranch.

Comment

stickbow, if I remember correctly, the normal fee for bowhunting Nilgai on the KR is $2850.00 per hunter. This is for a three day guided hunt and requires 3 bowhunters. You are allowed to kill one bull and one cow for this price. I was blessed to be able to join two other gentlemen who had previously booked the hunt when one of their partners had to back out. They sold me the open spot for 2k. I had a great time and made two new friends! Altogether a great investment!!

Comment

nilgai

thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X