No announcement yet.

Do arrow wraps change dynamic spine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good stuff AntiP. 60yd consistency is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      Good stuff AntiP. 60yd consistency is awesome.
      Thanks. I always had consistency issues with my older bow at that distance. I worked so hard to get everything as close as possible. Then I upgraded my equipment a bit and saw amazing results. My sight made the most difference. The old one had too much play in it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, Byron, for certifying my jest.

I do, indeed, concur with ditching the wraps. I'm sure they're pretty and all, but any added weight back there is not your friend. You know I'm a fan of high FOC, as my 680-grain arras have 400 grains up front. Makes for an easy tune and straight flight -- as long as I don't pluck or torque or put a "rodeo" release on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
          Me thinking out loud and/or quietly in interweb script:

On one hand the added rear weight will weaken the dynamic spine.

On the other hand the wrap will act as a brace stiffening the spine. (Similar to an arm cast or back brace or corset or whatever)

Is it a toss up and/or counteracting effect?

Anybody experimented or static spine tested with wrapped shafts versus unwrapped shafts...same make and model and deflection shafts?
          Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
          OP, let’s speak in real terms here. Does adding a wrap; or any tail weight for that matter change the dynamic spine, yes it does and will stiffen it up based on said weight. However, what does that cost you? In a real world setting absolutely nothing. As a general rule of thumb on a normal arrow setup an increase or decrease of 20-25 grains will shift measured FOC about 1% and subsequently has little effect on an arrows ability to tune, terminal performance or penetration characteristics. So basically if you want to shoot them, shoot them. If it was a good setup with wraps it will be a good setup without them. Likewise applied to the inverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          What MuddyFuzzy said...
          Just to clarify though:
          1) Adding weight to the back makes for a STIFFER reaction, not weaker.
          2) Adding weight will increase momentum.
          3) Adding weight will decrease speed.
          4) Adding weight to the back will decrease FOC slightly if all else remains the same.
          5) It doesn't really matter if we are talking about just a wrap.

Comment

I've been staying out of this. but I want to add something. when we look at dynamic we should not look at it as a dynamic spine. there is really no such thing. it's a dynamic reaction. the spine is static. spine never changes. unless it gets broke. if you have a .300 static spine shaft it will be a.300 spine till it breaks or you shoot it enough to wear the shaft down from friction into targets.

dynamic reaction means more bend or less bend.
            if we add more tip weight the arrow will have a dynamic reaction of more bend. if we add nock weight it will have less bend.
            Last edited by enewman; 03-06-2019, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
              I've been staying out of this. but I want to add something. when we look at dynamic we should not look at it as a dynamic spine. there is really no such thing. it's a dynamic reaction. the spine is static. spine never changes. unless it gets broke. if you have a .300 static spine shaft it will be a.300 spine till it breaks or you shoot it enough to wear the shaft down from friction into targets.

dynamic reaction means more bend or less bend.
              if we add more tip weight the arrow will have a dynamic reaction of more bend. if we add nock weight it will have less bend.
              Yeah I'd agree with you on this, as a technical purity you are right, for swilling beer and talking archery stuff its the same thing

Comment

Just cut an inch off the front of the arrow, it will balance out the dynamic tension.

Comment

Working...
                X