My bike... ...what the ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bike... ...what the ???

? for the bike gurus... What the *#^}+ is happening to the spokes?? The bike has been hanging on the wall and over half of the spokes are broken. All seem to have broken at the same spot... Any thoughts on what may have caused this?? Apologies in advance for the crappy pic but there is no light in the garage.
    Attached Files

Over tightened spokes and it's 150 degrees in your garage or.... your kids were playing with a hockey stick.

Comment

That's bizarre, if there are any young hands with tools I would talk with them. I've never seen anything like that and and can't imagine what happened. The few broken spokes I've seen happened on one end

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
        Over tightened spokes and it's 150 degrees in your garage or.... your kids were playing with a hockey stick.
        Bike is going on 8 yrs and no one has thi then the spokes or messed with the tire....

Originally posted by masonred View Post
        That's bizarre, if there are any young hands with tools I would talk with them. I've never seen anything like that and and can't imagine what happened. The few broken spokes I've seen happened on one end
        No kiddoes in the house...

Same thing I was thinking as far as broken spokes while riding.... I found 1 broken spoke months back but have riden the bike several times afterwards... I just figured that one was a defect... Over half of them snapping at about the same spot is weird.

Comment

I wonder if some of the spokes have come loose and stretching to the point that they break? Or the material they are made from is defective.

If they have been hit with something some of them would be bent.

I doubt the heat had anything to do with it, it's 100* in Del Rio 9 months out of the year.

Comment

**** the wife off lately?

Hard to tell from pic but 1st thought is wire cutter

Comment

I think once one is broke or way too loose or tight, then it starts to impact the others around it. Continuing to ride when one went likely stressed them.

Comment

I'm with BTLowry....someone's trying to off you.

Comment

They're too tight, the metal was brittle and they snapped. Spokes are easy and cheap to replace. Get new spokes, new spoke nipples, a spoke wrench, watch a few YouTube videos on how to place a bike wheel. Problem solved in less than an hour. You can use your front fork as a truing stand.

Comment

Check your truck over well.... ; )

Comment

Are you spending more time with the bike and not the Girlfriend or wife.

Comment

Are the spokes metal or carbon?

Comment

Do you keep your pool chlorine tabs in the garage?

Comment

check them out under a magnifying glass. the failure method can be observed. neck down section at the break means high tension in the wire; sharp shiney edge indicates something cut it; and a curved edge at the break could indicate compressive bending. rust could indicate contamination with a chemical in the garage airspace.

Comment

could be a bad batch of spokes when they were put together...parts fail...

Comment

Working...
                              X