Mechanic Question : 2007 Silverado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanic Question : 2007 Silverado

Was seeing if anyone on here could help or have experienced this before? I have looked on GOOGLE, GM-Trucks.com, and other forums, but have not gotten an answer. I have a 2007 Silverado LT. This morning, as I was getting out to go into the gym, my dashboard lights and instrument cluster started to flicker after I turned the vehicle completely off and took the key out of the ignition. I didnt think much of it and went to work out.

When I got home and turned the truck off, the same thing happened. The instrument panel and cluster would light up as if I had manually turned on the headlight switch. Then it would turn off. It continued to do this and flickered on and off, back and forth, even after I had locked the truck with the keyfob. As I looked inside the truck, the dash panel continued to flicker on and off. I have heard it could be the alternator, wiring, or the switch. Anyone have any other leads or where I should start looking? I have a video of it if someone could post it on here. Thanks.

I had a 2007 Silverado that went through a crazy electrical moment, but it sounds a little different than yours. The door locks would go up and down and all the lights on the dash would light up while driving. It seemed to be triggered when I signaled to change lanes. My mechanic changed out the battery cables and I was good to go. I thought it was going to be much more involved than that. This happened around the 275k mile mark.

Comment

It's the stupid azz crimped-on battery connections that GM uses. Looks like something Harbor Freight would sell.

Comment

I’d start at the battery connections too.

Comment

possible bad ground

Comment

Anyone have any ideas on how to check the suggestions above. If it is a bad battery cable, that seems like it will be a PITA to fix.

Comment

Happened on my last gmc it was battery cables and big fuse in engine compartment on firewall that goes to battery cables. Same thing though with the flickering dash lights, locks going crazy I thought my truck was possessed.

Comment

Originally posted by HFDSwasta View Post
                Happened on my last gmc it was battery cables and big fuse in engine compartment on firewall that goes to battery cables. Same thing though with the flickering dash lights, locks going crazy I thought my truck was possessed.
                I will check that out. Thanks for the info. Now, the instrument panel does not even go off. It just stays lit up even when the key is out, the truck is off, and everything is locked. The only other difference is when I use the key fob to lock the doors, the little lock icon on my Dash continues to flash.

Comment

Yes, start at the battery and work your way to the electrical panel, I bet you find something loose there. Similar thing happened to me.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                    Anyone have any ideas on how to check the suggestions above. If it is a bad battery cable, that seems like it will be a PITA to fix.
                    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDkNMDDrBs"]The proper way to solder battery terminals - YouTube[/ame]

Mine was on the battery......

As far as checking.....I just pulled and wiggled mine until it came out of the clamp.....it was easy to tell it was loose. I fixed the cables and them promptly replaced the truck with a Ford. No more problems.

Comment

I had a 05 chevy that had a recall on the instrument panel. dealership replaced it and it was covered by extended warranty. Might be related??

Comment

My moms 05 suburban’s dash lights will turn off at random times. A friends 05 Silverado did the same. He said it was the dash dimmer switch had gone bad. Not sure if it is related or not, but worth a check.

Comment

Battery cables is your most likely culprit fought it for about 3 years intermittently on my tahoe. Just disconnect the battery cables for 5 minutes or so and it will reset the computer. All will be good until the next time. Might also try moving the cables back and forth. As some have already said it’s the way the terminal is connected to the wire that wears and eventually causes these issues.

Comment

Originally posted by txbassnaholic View Post
                            I had a 05 chevy that had a recall on the instrument panel. dealership replaced it and it was covered by extended warranty. Might be related??
                            You know, I had that recall on my truck, but there was never any parts available to fix the issue. I have contacted Chevy on a couple of occasions about it and they never have the parts to fix it. I guess I need to press a little harder.

Comment

The insulation on the on the cable will pull away as the connection to the terminal gets loose and wire starts to pull out. If you have any gap there it’s probably time to replace either the whole cable or a new terminal

Comment

Working...
                              X