Let’s discuss netx pineywoods bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s discuss netx pineywoods bucks

I’ve read time and time again that east texas is the hardest place to kill mature whitetails. I cut my teeth hunting deer in the sulphur River bottoms of east Texas and southwest Arkansas and can attest to how hard the hunting can be. Maybe with some healthy conversation we can crack open the mind of those grey ghosts and figure them out. Feel free to post questions,pictures, stories, setups etc. let’s all learn somthing and have some good deer talk.

Live in Tyler area for years. Deer hunting was hard to stay interested in because of low density and I just ended up shooting a lot of hogs.

Comment

Food, food and food. We plant decent size plots... build it and they will come. Planting date has a lot to do with it. Plant to early and it’ll all be gone before season gets going good(Rut).

Comment

We do have have feeders too but you can’t replace the amount of produced via plots.

Comment

Not all. But, most real good east Tx hunters aren't going to enlighten you on their do’s and dont’s. You will pickup some good tips here and there. But, the best ones I know keep everything pretty much to themselves due to loose lips and people infringing on their hunting areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Not all. But, most real good east Tx hunters aren't going to enlighten you on their do’s and dont’s. You will pickup some good tips here and there. But, the best ones I know keep everything pretty much to themselves due to loose lips and people infringing on their hunting areas.

I understand that. I’m trying to gear this thread more towards understanding the animals and how they are different in this area. For example, why is it that An unpressured deer around here won’t go to a feeder during daylight, yet in other parts of the state the deer will come running to a dinner bell with no problems? If someone wants to post tips that’s fine, let’s just have some fun and try to decipher them. Let’s see where this thread goes

Comment

Search for Garguy’s East Texas hunting thread. You’ll enjoy and we can all probably learn a little from his experience and tactics

Comment

I hunt small plots all throughout ETX. I don’t throw feeders, only hand corn and I plant small plots. On good crop years for acorns I hunt the flats and have narrows down a few specific trees they hit hard. Other than that, I honestly believe it’s all in pattering and timing. I have a few places I will see 10-15 deer every sit, but then I have those mature buck spots where I might see 10 deer all year but they are usually the right ones.

Comment

I’m on probably the cheapest lease in Texas. I’ve been on it almost two years and haven’t killed anything yet.

Prior to that I was a public only hunter and have 3 good bucks under my belt. I think that certainly says something about how different it is out there.

I’ve captured plenty of deer on the game cam but they seem to disappear when I’m around. Hogs too.

Obviously I don’t have any hood advice but I’m in to hear what the rest say.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
                    Search for Garguy’s East Texas hunting thread. You’ll enjoy and we can all probably learn a little from his experience and tactics

I’ve read it and it is top notch. This would be a good place to post any questions someone may have without cluttering up the pressured deer are easy to pattern thread. and maybe garguy will chime in later.

Comment

I admire you East texas hunters. For me, life’s too short. I like to see big open country, lots of deer and the occasional exceptional trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                        I admire you East texas hunters. For me, life’s too short. I like to see big open country, lots of deer and the occasional exceptional trophy.
                        100%
                        I don’t have any interest in deer hunting East of I-35 north of San Antonio.

Comment

It never seems to fail, every year I can have a good buck coming to hand corn during the middle of the night. Then one day, he may show in daylight just out of the blue, and never show up in daylight again. It has never seemed to matter how close I get to bedding.I don’t understand how they can be so unpredictable. I’ve watched videos of people in west or south Texas hunting and it’s unbelievable. Mature bucks just come running in, no regards to feeder or anything. I don’t drive atvs around my stands and try to be as low pressure as possible. Sure I’ve killed a handful of mature bucks but it seems more luck of the draw than skill

Comment

Hey! Hunting these ETx and SETx deer makes you a better hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                              It never seems to fail, every year I can have a good buck coming to hand corn during the middle of the night. Then one day, he may show in daylight just out of the blue, and never show up in daylight again. It has never seemed to matter how close I get to bedding.I don’t understand how they can be so unpredictable. I’ve watched videos of people in west or south Texas hunting and it’s unbelievable. Mature bucks just come running in, no regards to feeder or anything. I don’t drive atvs around my stands and try to be as low pressure as possible. Sure I’ve killed a handful of mature bucks but it seems more luck of the draw than skill

It sounds like you have bucks that like visiting your place but don’t want to live there. I’d think about moving the hand corn to a safer spot with more cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X