Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I did that very thing. Was tired of improving only my offseason, so I did something to try to improve my in season attraction too. I liked the idea of adding another attractant that would put them on my time like corn does.

They still come and go (especially when poontang is in order) but I’m a fan of the amount of deer it keeps around...
    I’m gonna try this out on one setup this year. Gonna try the hammer system first since we have 5 free choice 1 tons feeders. If it’s what I’m hopinh will slowly convert them all.

Comment

Where do you guys get y'alls ricebran?

Nevermind found some in Houston near me....
      Last edited by CB_TxNole; 08-18-2020, 01:05 PM.

Comment

When do y'all start putting ricebran out?

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          I’m gonna try this out on one setup this year. Gonna try the hammer system first since we have 5 free choice 1 tons feeders. If it’s what I’m hopinh will slowly convert them all.
          The Hammer system works incredibly and Mike is as great as they come to deal with. I have 2 of his units and going on 6 years of use I believe. No issues whatsoever. Make sure you put them on a solar. The actuator will drain a 12V in 3-4 weeks if you don't.

The reduction of nocturnal activity and increase in daylight activity is quite surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by CB_TxNole View Post
            When do y'all start putting ricebran out?
            You should be able to find it cheaper in your area than anywhere in Tx. Palmers use to carry it but it’s been a while since they had any. I’d feed it anytime. But it’s like alfalfa, it gets wiped out quick.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
              You should be able to find it cheaper in your area than anywhere in Tx. Palmers use to carry it but it’s been a while since they had any. I’d feed it anytime. But it’s like alfalfa, it gets wiped out quick.
              I got some last week

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                I got some last week
                Not sure why they don't keep more on hand. I bet I haven't been able to get any from them in a yr or more. May just be bad timing.

Comment

Not sure why they don't keep more on hand. I bet I haven't been able to get any from them in a yr or more. May just be bad timing.
                  She told me to call a day ahead and they’d have some ready for me. It’s their base in a lot of the things they make, or that’s what I was told.

Comment

What are they getting per bag? is it still 50#?

Comment

Oh I strike out a lot also. I just never call ahead. It was 50lb but didn’t even pay attention to cost

Comment

What are they getting per bag? is it still 50#?

Do you still get yours from Atwood’s? Those were what, 40lbs around 7$ a bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was but they went up to almost $9 per bag. I don’t feed it all the time. With the times protein it keeps my deer around.

Comment

Hot and dry out west! Everything is yellow including some of the cactus :mad. Amazingly the deer bodies and cattle bodies still look to be in good shape considering no measurable rainfall since 7/1. Deer are cleaning up all the feed I give them and sucked down 550 gallons of water in each of my two pens in a month......that's about double a normal summer month for me. I cranked up the protein and corn even more and refilled to help them out a bit. Maybe we will get some remnants of these hurricanes.

Sent three Rickys to their maker. Had one sucker bang the trap free from the feeder leg only to get the trap chain hung up in a cedar tree wedge in the pen he tried to run through. Unlucky bastage..

Comment

2020 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

We had a fire on our ranch and our neighbors today. Grape Creek, Carlsbad and Water Valley responded. We are very much in debt to them. Luckily there was only about 15ac by best estimate. We think it started by a lightening strike from last night.

I was driving in from Ft. Stockton, I worked a 24hr ER shift there last night. Before Barnhart I stopped to help a deer stuck in a fence, which I got him out. He was worn out, but no fracture or dislocation on my exam. I called the Crockett co. Game warden and he was going to check on the young deer and monitor him. This delayed me home by about 30mins. As I am coming in the back way from Mertzon to our ranch I see a huge plume of gray/white smoke or dust. I thought it was maybe the caliche pit on our ranch detonating but then I saw flame. I got within sight of the flare up exactly when it started because I had stopped to pull that deer out of the fence, thank goodness.

I sped up and drove through the pit trying to call for help and find somebody to confirm fire versus rock detonation and call the fire department. Somehow my wife and FIL had seen a small puff of smoke and he scrambled the plane. It wasn't but less than 10mins Carlsbad VFD had arrived and we started moving in.

I didn't get but an hour or two of sleep in the middle of the night during my shift, so 40hrs later, I'm getting a ranch water and a cold beer and hopefully going to bed. Pics to follow.

PS This was the second fire of the day, there was one earlier on our neighbors/cousins place on our north side. All under 20ac each with minimal spread.

And if you think I look like **** in that pic, you should see me now!

Last edited by Jmh05; 08-22-2020, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                                We had a fire on our ranch and our neighbors today. Grape Creek, Carlsbad and Water Valley responded. We are very much in debt to them. Luckily there was only about 15ac by best estimate. We think it started by a lightening strike from last night.

I was driving in from Ft. Stockton, I worked a 24hr ER shift there last night. Before Barnhart I stopped to help a deer stuck in a fence, which I got him out. He was worn out, but no fracture or dislocation on my exam. I called the Crockett co. Game warden and he was going to check on the young deer and monitor him. This delayed me home by about 30mins. As I am coming in the back way from Mertzon to our ranch I see a huge plume of gray/white smoke or dust. I thought it was maybe the caliche pit on our ranch detonating but then I saw flame. I got within sight of the flare up exactly when it started because I had stopped to pull that deer out of the fence, thank goodness.

I sped up and drove through the pit trying to call for help and find somebody to confirm fire versus rock detonation and call the fire department. Somehow my wife and FIL had seen a small puff of smoke and he scrambled the plane. It wasn't but less than 10mins Carlsbad VFD had arrived and we started moving in.

I didn't get but an hour or two of sleep in the middle of the night during my shift, so 40hrs later, I'm getting a ranch water and a cold beer and hopefully going to bed. Pics to follow.

PS This was the second fire of the day, there was one earlier on our neighbors/cousins place on our north side. All under 20ac each with minimal spread.

And if you think I look like **** in that pic, you should see me now!

Sounds like a rough couple days!! Glad the fires weren’t worse.

We made it out last weekend to WV. Found a nice set of sheds now that the broom weed has died down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X