The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
    CO, or really any state you goto to get an elk hunt in.

How did you find the unit?
    Without having the luxury of summer scouting, GoHunt, OnX maps and various Podcasts are pretty much required. Researching via those 3 avenues is how we chose a unit for our first elk/western hunt last year and we got into elk in each canyon we were in, and of course made some rookie mistakes.
    Last edited by Patton; 03-03-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
      CO, or really any state you goto to get an elk hunt in.

How did you find the unit?
      I tried to find statistics on the number of hunters in archery season vs harvest success %. Then I looked at the amount of public land in that unit

Comment

Welp, I didn't draw AZ! Imagine that! On to Colorado draw.

Comment

If you fly in to go backpack hunting, how do you care for meat, get it back, and get the antlers back? What's the general cost of that?
          I just don't know if i want to drive 24hrs and that is limiting my options for good elk hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
            If you fly in to go backpack hunting, how do you care for meat, get it back, and get the antlers back? What's the general cost of that?
            I just don't know if i want to drive 24hrs and that is limiting my options for good elk hunting.
            Flying it back will be close to 1k, buddy did it this year, processing, antlers,etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

The drive suddenly doesn't seem so hard.

Comment

Retired 12/31
                Sold San Jose home
                Moving to the Bozeman MY area beginning of April
                Lost 15 pounds since last elk season

Time to start conditioning and practices shooting for this September

Hunt hard, life’s short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope I dont draw everything I applied for. Im like a kid in a candy store with all the species in NM. Hoping to cash in deer points in CO this year and elk next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                    I hope I dont draw everything I applied for. Im like a kid in a candy store with all the species in NM. Hoping to cash in deer points in CO this year and elk next year.
                    Speak for your self, it would be an Epic year, I’d be unemployed and broke by Jan 2020 but I’d have a couple sheep, couple moose, couple mountain goats, bison, ibex, oryx, deer and elk.

Would truly be epic and worth it, push someone is always hiring

Comment

Today, 3/15 is the last day to put in for Montana OTC elk and deer combo package.

Comment

Anybody who hunts CO, please please please buy a $100 bear tag this year! Kill a bear and save some elk calves!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                          Anybody who hunts CO, please please please buy a $100 bear tag this year! Kill a bear and save some elk calves!!!
                          I’m going to get one after having about 10 in range last year but not wanting to spend money on the tag. Probably won’t see a single one with the tag lol.

Comment

I think the $100 price is going to drop the numbers of bears a good bit! At that price, it becomes a no-brainer tag to add. If I’d have had a tag two years ago, I could have killed a black bear at 20 yards with my bow. I regret not spending the money on that tag now!

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
                              I always see a ton of bears. Never had a tag. Hopefully I can get one this year. I know that a lot of bears got killed last year. I bet this $100 with caps will not last long.

Comment

Just booked a guided archery elk hunt outside Aguilar for mid-late September. Definitely gonna buy the $100 bear tag.

Comment

Working...
                                X